classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Awesome Big Tupper Video

Harvey
Administrator
This is an embed from Facebook, so (not sure but) you may have to like BT on Facebook to see it?

Thanks to CoachZ for finding it.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Awesome Big Tupper Video

Hudsonhiker
Thanks for the video. I skied Big Tupper about then for a few years as a teenager. Long Long drive from Glens Falls I didn’t have to drive thou. . Never seemed to be crowded and always good snow as I remember. Probably my Dad only chose good ski days to make that trek.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
While not nearly as good as that video, I made a Big Tupper video of my own from a trip last year:

The quality of YouTube sucks, but at least they didn't rip the music away . . .  yet . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Damn Facebook! Matt's looks good though.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Looks really nice Matt.  When were you there?

Those trees look like they had work too.  People been working on them?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Apparently I was there March 3rd.

I remember that tree trail from when I skied there in the 90s. The entrance was kind of effed up, though so we had to hit it from the bottom
Reply | Threaded
|

mikegbflo
Nice work Matt!
can't wait to ski BT
ps my daughter really like the music...
The long days of Shockley are gone,
 So is football Kennedy style
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
DackerDan wrote
So what is the status of Big Tupper this year? I looked at the website and it looks like they are going to try to open with a volunteer staff.
It doesn't look great:

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2013/10/commentary-stop-using-big-tupper-pawn.html

Good to have it open, I guess, but in this case I'd rather ski it like I did last year.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Great video, Matt.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Thanks! I liked that one.
Reply | Threaded
|

miker92
Harv, that original post video is awesome.

Mattchuck, yours is too. Really wish I made it there to skin last year. Never seemed to have the timing right though and didn't want to get there and have super thin base with 8" on top, which seemed likely a few times. I agree that I'd probably rather skin it than ski it when it's open. Granted, skinning last year was a pretty high stakes operation given their threats for actual arrest if you got caught, but the thing is, when they're open, they insist on grooming every inch of everything, don't allow tree skiing, and will sometimes not open trails on powder days until they can be groomed because they don't think powder skiing is safe. I've seen all of these scenarios personally--I'm not just guessing. Ski patrol told me it's because they have some of the shittiest insurance you can get and they don't want to take any chances. I don't really think that makes sense if they have any insurance at all, but what do I know. Also, one of the best trails on the mountain, all the way to skier's left off the top, is sort of wooded now and impossible to access from the top. Can't tell if it's what's in your video. But they refuse to open it because it's too steep for their old groomer to get up. The new groomer that they bought was supposed to be able to get up it, which was the only way they'd open it since it wouldn't be safe with bumps or fresh snow. But, as that op-ed mentions, that groomer is now gone. It's not even about ACR to me anymore. I just want to go skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
miker92 wrote
Also, one of the best trails on the mountain, all the way to skier's left off the top, is sort of wooded now and impossible to access from the top. Can't tell if it's what's in your video.
Haha. I remembered that trail being awesome, but didn't know that it's inaccessible from the top now. As a result, I have a lot of footage of me bushwhacking into the trail, then hiking out of it. There were some other guys touring while we were up there and we saw them headed up that trail from the bottom of the summit lift.

As far as the other thing, I just assumed that the guy had to say that to the media (probably to keep whatever crappy insurance policy he had), but there was never a real issue. There are XC trails around there that were in use at the time, so I figured going a little higher wasn't the worst thing in the world.

If Tupper is only open on weekends and holidays with an all volunteer employee force, I'd imagine that the day after a weekday dump would still be a great time to ski it this year.