BBQ joint recommendations

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

BBQ joint recommendations

Brownski
Instead of continuing to post my BBQ discoveries in fun things I thought I'd start a dedicated thread. I'm hoping the folks that are locals upstate will clue me in as to where to find good brisket and pulled pork near some good skiing (like Roxbury maybe).
Anyway, my first endorsement is going to Big Daddy's on 9W in Haverstraw. It's a little off the beaten path but doable as a side trip if you're passing through Rockland County via the Palisades Parkway...

In addition to good food, they feature a very cool, family atmosphere.

I've had their food four or five times now and I can say it is really really good. Some of the hipster-ish BBQ places that are popping up don't even make collard greens but these guys do and they're pretty tasty.

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: BBQ joint recommendations

MC2 5678F589
Chicken: Brook's
Pork: Pig Pit, Dinosaur, Barnstormer
Brisket: Hickory

Nothing up north, unfortunately. Tail O' The pup isn't great and I find Smoke Signals' sauce to be too sweet. Haven't tried the Redneck place yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Brownski
I assume you have been to Baily's in Orangeburg ..I don't eat meat (red or the other white meat )  but my friends swear by it...
I worked in Haverstraw for 10 yrs..Still gives me the chills thinking about it..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I've eaten Baileys food many, many times and  I'm a fan but they've become so popular, I think their quality is slipping, at least for takeout (which is how I usually get it). Matt, where is redneck? I searched it and the only place that came up is in cooperstown.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
My favorite BBQ joint is the Hill Country located in Manhattan on 26th Street between Broadway and 6th Ave.  I try to go there just about every time I'm in the city.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Thanks SnoI don't get down that way too much but I'm gonna pass that on to a coworker (and meat fanatic) who does
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Redneck bistro is a restaurant in the pines inn. Better than smoke signals but smoke signals is pretty good to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by Brownski
Holy Smokes in Mahopac was pretty good. Sorry, it's not near a ski hill. There's one in Croton too.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I'm gonna check out Holy Smokes Johny. Work puts me somewhat near there once in a while.Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Kinda silly talking about barbeque in the northeast, but, I'll chime in with a local place that's actually pretty good. For Connecticut. The Wire Mill, Georgetown.

Best I've had in my drives across America the past few years was Pappy's in St. Louis, and a little place on Beale Street in Memphis I forgot the name of, but, just look for the big pink neon pig.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Point taken, Benny. You're not wrong. I think the best I've had was at Peirces BBQ pit near Williamsburg, VA. But I live in NYS so I have to make do.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Had my favorite sammy Sunday at Grumpy's Roadhouse in Allentown PA, the Honey Bee.... barb-b-que brisket, thick cut bacon, onion petals and pepper jack cheese with just a smidge of spicy honey bbq sauce  I'm also a big fan of their pit bbq wings
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC mentioned this joint, but if you ever make it to the Syracuse area Dinosaur BBQ is a must! Real cool atmosphere.

https://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/

Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
campgottagopee wrote
MC mentioned this joint, but if you ever make it to the Syracuse area Dinosaur BBQ is a must! Real cool atmosphere.

https://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/
I haven't been back to Syracuse in 20 years but the Troy dinosaur is a weak imitation of the original back in the day.  

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
About 15 years ago I went to a meeting in Syracuse that included a lunch catered by Dinosaur. One regular member of te group didn't eat pork for religious reasons, but he went wild for the barbecue. I don't think anyone has ever told him it was pig.  

dm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Found some good ones in my travels
Dinosaur BBQ in both Syracuse and Rochester
Sticky Lips in Rochester - not as famous as Dino but better I think and no waiting for a table
The Mason Jar in Mahwah NJ - get the brunt ends sandwich
There was is a great place in NYC just out the door on the SW side of Penn Station that is excellent
Locally Smoke Signals in LP is ok but because it's on Main Street the wait for a table can be nuts
Dubbs BBQ at the AuSable Brewery in Keeseville on Friday nights during summer is really good.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I give this one an 80/100- not worth going out of your way for maybe but if you're in the neighborhood and hungry, it's pretty good.
On Gramatan Ave in Mount Vernon

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The brisket sandwich at the Cloudspin Lounge is seriously good.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!