classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Backcountry Ski Area Development

nepa
This post was updated on .
“There is no other place that I’ve skied that has that kind of set up,” he said. “It bridges the gap between traditional backcountry skiing and now what we call the typical ski resort. It’s sitting somewhere in the middle.”

Harrison said that other groups will use Hankin-Evelyn as a model to develop backcountry ski areas around the world.

Hankin-Evelyn: pioneer in backcountry development

This is what the area looks like:

What's your opinion on this type of backcountry development?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Backcountry Ski Area Development

I:)skiing
I am sure others (and the real greenies) will find fault.    This is a good idea for the enviroment as opposed to clear cutting for trails.   Nip and tuck here and there.     I am going to guess that there is some circle or obvious ring that connects so people unfamiliar with the area wont get lost.     That said, places like this would be more of a ski at your own risk, with patrol helping where possible, as opposed to policing the world by opening and closing the mountain each day.    

I would also guess there is a sign in and sign out...or should be.  

Economics:    This will be a tough one.    There is a lot of work, a lot of land, and expenses.  However I dont see the volume of skiers being able to sustain a profitable business plan.    5% of skiers do back country?  Is there data on this?     Of them, what % don't want to be near other people and thus won't use.    They will continue to hike their turns.   Another % have families and go side country while their kids/spouses hit the slopes.    
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
This post was updated on .
I:)skiing wrote
   Of them, what % don't want to be near other people and thus won't use.    

I don't see what the big deal is.  Isn't it just a easily accessed publicized BC ski place. Those exist all over
Reply | Threaded
|

timbly
In reply to this post by nepa
Bolton Valley backcountry is a fun destination a little closer by....

Sort of a similar area, though in the Greens, not the Rockies. When we've been up there, you don't really see other skiers except close to the lodge/xc area.

towards Stowe from BV

Fun bonus: $17 trail pass lets you use the hot tub in the lodge.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote

I don't see what the big deal is  Isn't it just a easily accessed publicized BC ski place. Those exist all over
I agree.  Conceptually, it's simply a snopark that is maintained by the local community.  We have a couple of XC facilities in my area that are similar to this.  You pay a fee for a parking pass, and the proceeds go to maintenance of the trails in the area.  Many of these areas are multi-use which results in contention between the different user groups.  I think the unique aspect of Hankin Evelyn is that it is loosely maintained, and  completely non-motorized.

I:)skiing wrote
   Of them, what % don't want to be near other people and thus won't use.    
It terms of solitude... I don't picture people stumbling over each other due to crowd density.  I could be wrong, but I think this is a niche that will only grow to a limited size.  The article didn't say anything about the acreage, but I don't think overcrowding would be an issue at most spots.  One of the spots that I frequent is about 1000 acres.  Often times there will be several cars in the lot before I start.  9 times out of 10, I will end up not seeing a soul.  

I don't think this has appeal for the masses (nor do I think this would be a profitable venture), but conceptually, it can be used by the local coalitions of turn earning enthusiasts to maintain and promote convenient local access.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by timbly
timbly wrote
Sort of a similar area, though in the Greens, not the Rockies. When we've been up there, you don't really see other skiers except close to the lodge/xc area.
This concept is a bit different... it's a "stand-alone" backcountry ski area.  The terrain at Bolton looks sweet, but it is like an appendage to the lift served area.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
It seems to me that this exists already in our area: Mt. Greylock/Thunderbolt.  Warming hut on top and multiple lines down.