Backcountry closer to home

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
38 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Backcountry closer to home

Saskat
Thanks —will probably stick to trail, especially if solo.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saskat
In reply to this post by BRLKED
Will do, thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by Harvey
Not sure about the T4s
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Glad this thread is resurrected - I think I've got my setup and tele skills ready to do a tour, any suggestions on a a good place to start or going out over the next few weekends? Will be in the Mad River Valley 3/21-24
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Hoser wrote
So I see there is a shuttle on weekends from the ski bowl up to the parking area for the Raymond Brook Ski trail.  Anyone do this?  Looks primarily down,  a little up at start, a lot of flat towards end.....would alpine gear suffice?   Not ideal I get it, but if no access to other gear and/or cheap.

http://visitnorthcreek.org/uncategorized/backcountry-ski-shuttle-2-4759/
Yes done it several times with the Shuttle or midweek setting up our own shuttle.

Not appropriate for Alpine gear IMO.  I bet others would agree.  It starts with a climb of maybe 2-300 feet. Its rolling at the end. Perfect for this setup:

https://nyskiblog.com/wide-waxless-backcountry-skis/

or maybe Voile Chargers.

Interesting that there is a shuttle, good to know.  I have been thinking for a while about checking out this trail.  I had actually e-mailed Harvey last year figuring he had info as a semi-local, and based on our convo, it seems like my full AT setup (alpine style ski/kingpins) may be too heavy duty.

Is uphill travel allowed on this trail?  I'd assume so.  I'd think of doing the uphill to make it more of a workout than a glide down.  Woudl probably try it out on my gear since I already own it.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Uphill is allowed and done by some.

For more workout you could start at GHL too but you'd have to do your own shuttle.

There are several options for Nordic touring if you want exercize.  Puffer Pond, Hour Pond, Botheration Pond, The Vly, Siamese Ponds, Buck Meadow.  In addition any route that looks doable on a topo is probably doable and may even have a hunters path to follow.

Telebnor Nordic recommend for all.  AT less useful in the Siamese IMO.  Ed or Shamans opinions probably more valid.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Not sure if I'll get back down there this season or not, but would be a good move on my way home from Placid sometime.  We do that to ski Gore from time to time.  Can leave Placid at 7:30 and be to Gore by 9.  I've been wanting to come ride the MTB trails at ski bowl too, maybe this summer on my way up or back from LP.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
Most of the tours in and around North Creek are more suitable to nordic gear, I do have friends that have AT set -ups on waxlees skis, Voile Vectors. As to biking PM me and I'll give you the tour there is more than on the map. Also I'm a Monmouth County native, had a part in the development of the bike trails at both Hartshorne Woods and Huber Woods parks.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
BRLKED wrote
Most of the tours in and around North Creek are more suitable to nordic gear, I do have friends that have AT set -ups on waxlees skis, Voile Vectors. As to biking PM me and I'll give you the tour there is more than on the map. Also I'm a Monmouth County native, had a part in the development of the bike trails at both Hartshorne Woods and Huber Woods parks.
Oh sweet!  My main MTB ride is Hartshorne.  10 mins from home.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saskat
For an average skier not rushing, about how long would you expect it to take skiing from 13th Lake/Old Farm to the ski bowl? From Barton Mine Road?

Wondering if I could do the tour, then have enough time/energy to ski Gore for rest of day or if that’s too much.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
I would give  myself 3 hours +/-, first 4 miles from Old Farm to Barton Rd is rolling with uphill, Barton Rd to Ski Bowl 1300 ft vertical but still a rolling tour with up in the middle. Barton  Rd to Ski Bowl can be done in a hour and a half. Check out <a href="http://upperhudsontrails.org/" or <a href="http://visitnorthcreek.org/" for shuttle available on weekends and holidays.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saskat
Thanks so much! I'll be there on a Friday, so no shuttle.  Perhaps there is a taxi service in North Creek I could use, if I don't have a partner.  
Reply | Threaded
|

WoolyBugger
Does anyone use Nordic skis for downhill and all skiing?  I feel like I am getting pretty good on them but want to hear if it is even feasible to ski steeper trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
All my skis are "nordic" depending on your definition.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Headed up to Mt Snow mid next week and hoping to get out for some bc / xcd at Hogback Mtn. and /or SoVTA Dover Town Forest, anyone ever been or gonna be on the area? MC you at Snow?
Reply | Threaded
|

Saskat
I haven't, but will be at Mount Snow the following weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
I have to give a talk in Saratoga on Wednesday, but if you go to Hogback Thursday or Friday I might join you.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
I assume this rain/freeze will limit skiing, I may do a little recon on the epochs tomorrow...