Backcountry closer to home

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
38 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Backcountry closer to home

gefiltephish
I'm very interested in doing some touring this January. Only forays so far this season have been going up Windham resort... There's plenty intel in areas up in Vermont and New Hampshire but with my budget I have to hold back on driving 3.5-5 hours each way this week. Excited to make the trip at some point though! People are already skiing these zones, looks sweet!

I'm toying with a day trip or two from Mid-Hudson Valley next week. I'd love to tour with other folks, if anyone is interested next Tuesday (1/22), Thursday and/or Friday (1/25) let me know!. The blog posts about Bearpen are really intriguing, but not sure of parking, approach, and I'm not seeing the runs on aerial images. Hopefully they're not too grown in.

Skiing the Thunderbolt Trail at Mount Greylock is a definite goal this season, and I assume the coverage will be getting close... Other interesting abandoned spots over in western Mass, like Petersburg Pass and Brodie. Brodie looks super cool, but sounds like it's private property / no trespassing currently... Bummer  bc it looks pretty expansive.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Backcountry closer to home

moguljunkie
I'm in Woodstock and was thinking about going this week to Petersburg Pass (never been) or another good BC location not far from there that I skied last year. I'd be up for meeting up if my schedule allows. Feel free to get in touch via email if you're planning to head out and I can do likewise.

Adam
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
reach out to me, will see how my schedule and conditions look. I've been learning peterburgh pass the last few years. the front side at least. i did  car drop in november and went over the west side. the west side is expansive  but i would not feel comfortable being the guide. the entrance was kind of hard to find. brodie is fairly  flat and probably  not worth the effort. i'm in the albany area so it easy for me to get there.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
That looks like a cool area to play.  Looks like you could leave a car on the bend of E Hollow Rd/91 and get some nice long runs.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
sig, I'd love to be shown around Petersburg Pass. Is Tuesday a possibility? We could all meet up if the snow is there and our legs aren't shot from the prior two days.

You going to be at Plattekill Sunday? I'm thinking it might be a close call whether the steeper woods will be skiable.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by gefiltephish
Petersburg Pass is fun & close. Greylock is bigger & also fun.

Not sure if I can get any days off next week to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I drove over the Berkshires two days ago on 90 - went over to Boston. Not a lot of snow, very low base.
This upcoming event might give coverage on Sunday afternoon but there will not have been enough on Saturday.
I would think that after this second storm mid week the cover will be great.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by moguljunkie
tuesday is a possibility, will let you know monday. i am torn between plattekill and gore on sunday. i think there will be a window in the morning before the high winds set in.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
This post was updated on .
Would Hickory be skiable with 20-24"? I may give it a shot tomorrow. If anyone wants to avoid the madding holiday crowds and join me, let me know.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
So I see there is a shuttle on weekends from the ski bowl up to the parking area for the Raymond Brook Ski trail.  Anyone do this?  Looks primarily down,  a little up at start, a lot of flat towards end.....would alpine gear suffice?   Not ideal I get it, but if no access to other gear and/or cheap.

http://visitnorthcreek.org/uncategorized/backcountry-ski-shuttle-2-4759/
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hoser wrote
So I see there is a shuttle on weekends from the ski bowl up to the parking area for the Raymond Brook Ski trail.  Anyone do this?  Looks primarily down,  a little up at start, a lot of flat towards end.....would alpine gear suffice?   Not ideal I get it, but if no access to other gear and/or cheap.

http://visitnorthcreek.org/uncategorized/backcountry-ski-shuttle-2-4759/
Yes done it several times with the Shuttle or midweek setting up our own shuttle.

Not appropriate for Alpine gear IMO.  I bet others would agree.  It starts with a climb of maybe 2-300 feet. Its rolling at the end. Perfect for this setup:

https://nyskiblog.com/wide-waxless-backcountry-skis/

or maybe Voile Chargers.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Very helpful link!   So the equipment, any recommendation on where to rent for a day? Garnet?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I bought that gear from Garnet Hill and they did let me try it out, but I am not sure they "rent" that stuff.

I'd say call the ski shop (518) 251-2150 and ask if they will rent gear for Raymond Brook.

I would appreciate it if you would say Harv or NYSkiBlog recommended.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Will certainly mention, NP!  Ski bowl prob just rents Nordic type skis,  more convenient due to shuttle location, but prob not the right tools for the job.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hoser wrote
Ski bowl prob just rents Nordic type skis,  more convenient due to shuttle location, but prob not the right tools for the job.
True.

Not sure they have the room to add BC gear at the Bowl but I like the idea.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saskat
I know this is an old thread, but seemed relevant.  I'm heading up to the Mountaineer's backcountry ski fest in two weeks.  I'll probably head upstate Thursday night and am thinking of skiing Friday Barton Hill to the Ski Bowl, and possibly starting at Old Farm Road.  

If anyone is free Friday 3/15 and would like to ski that, or something similar, let me know.  Would be great to meet some folks here and also be great to have two cars for a shuttle.  

For those who have skied that trail, how steep is the downhill?  I'm a pretty good XC skier, but not great on steep, tight downhills.  I used to do more of this kind of skiing, though not much recently.  How does that trail compare to something like the trail in from ADK Lodge to Marcy Dam? Or up to Avalanche Pass?  I'll be on Madshus Epochs, Voile 3-pin cable bindings, and Scarpa T4s.  

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
The Raymond brook is a glide, hardly need to turn. But there are some nice pitches off the trail if you know where to look.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by Hoser
Garnet Hill has rentals
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by Saskat
If conditions are right I'll tour with you PM me closer to the date, I am Local know the trails well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
ED do they rent T4s?

Hoser... BRLKED is a great ski partner, and a great person.