classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Backpack ski boot and ski bag?

DomB
Hi all -

I am thinking about getting a backpack-style bag to carry my boots and skis.  I have seen a bunch of bags online that are for boots, but I was also hoping for a bag that I can attach my skis to and carry on my back.  Any recommendations?

In terms of usage, the primary motivation for me is that my son is four, turning five in January, and I am planning to take him skiing (hopefully) many times this season.  The game plan will be me taking him to a small hill sans wife.  Having the skis and boots in the bag will allow me to carry his gear and keep a hand on him (I hope).  

Thanks in advance.

- Dom
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Backpack ski boot and ski bag?

Harvey
Administrator
Funny a lot of people I know finally break down an get the bootpack for precisely this reason.

But I don't think you need the bag to carry the skis.

Buy the big Transpack for you and a little one for Junior.

Everything fits in but skis and poles. You carry both pairs of skis and he carries the poles and you can make it in one trip.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Thanks, Harvey!  Good advice.  Saw your post from a bit earlier when I was researching the issue on the prior forum postings.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Depending on how big your kid is, a backpack might be unmanageable for him.
I had my two kids carry their own skis (arms stretched out in front, palms up, drop the skis on them), and I carried everything else in a big army surplus duffel. I think having them carry skis like that also immobilized them a little, and made it less like herding cats.  It was just awkward enough for them that they headed directly for the lodge, instead of their preferred option of inspecting the snowmaking pond first.  When they got a little bigger, I gave them boot bags.  I never let them carry my poles.  That would have ended in a light saber fight.  YMMV.  

MM
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Milo Maltbie wrote
I had my two kids carry their own skis (arms stretched out in front, palms up, drop the skis on them)
this!
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Thanks, guys
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Go to Stratton, Dear Valley or Vail and don't worry about it...
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I did Harvey's method. Whatever you do make sure the kid starts to carry things early on so as they age they can take all of their own equipment.  But, if you can, by far and away thr best option = a locker in the baselodge.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot

Like this.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Thanks, guys.  Instructions, tips, pictures, and sarcasm.  Can't ask for more ; )
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
buy everyone in your family the biggest Transpack they sell. let everyone off at the drop area
and have them hump there own stuff. works like a charm. my kids started hauling
there gear at age 10.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
  But, if you can, by far and away thr best option = a locker in the baselodge.
I dunno if that's far and away the best. I put my boots on while sitting on my couch......imo that beats some stinky old locker