classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bear Eats Hiker

Petronio
This post was updated on .
Not sure if this made the news beyond the NYC metro area.  This was not in a remote area . . . I never thought black bears could be that aggressive if you stayed out of their way.  Really horrible, time to get some bear spray for our family hikes in Dutchess and Ulster counties.

Petronio

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/nyregion/black-bear-kills-rutgers-student-during-a-hike-in-new-jersey.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bear Eats Hiker

PeeTex
Another reason not to ski in the glades, both the bears and the trees are out to get you...

Not to be too flippant - sad story though.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I saw this. Last fatal black bear attack in NJ since 1850? There has to be an explanation or cause.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
  There has to be an explanation or cause.
That's simple --- he was hungry
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
Reports in the local paper say that the hiker's body was found with claw and bite marks on it. A 300 lb male bear was found circling the area where the guy's corpse was and was then blasted with a shotgun when tactics to scare him away were not successful. As best as I can tell, it's still being determined if the marks from the bear were pre- or post-mortem.

I doubt that black bears, known to be scavengers, have any interest in eating flesh of any kind.
It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
DrSkimeister wrote
I doubt that black bears, known to be scavengers, have any interest in eating flesh of any kind.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/science/11bears.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by Petronio
As the saying goes, you don't need to be faster than the bear, just faster than whoever is with you.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
It sucks, their natural habitat is gone and frankly we provide a lot more food for them within civilization. It's just a bad combination. 5 years ago I would have told you to go to Phonecia to see bears, now NJ seems to be where they're at.