classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Belleayre 1/7/12

patchrick09
This post was updated on .
Today i did not have to come in to teach for kids camp so i decided to head up and get in a full day of real skiing.
First my dad and I headed over to tomahawk, feels like such a long time since we rode that lift.

Dot Nebel was the only trail open on the west side (except the trail to ski back to the 7 lift) it was open from mid station down and had great coverage for such a wide trail. It was around 10:30 and there was no one on that side of the mountain , there was still a good amount of corduroy on the trail too.

View of Expressway from the lift.

While skiing Expressway to get back to the 7.

Nice soft bumps on top of Onteora from the high temps in the morning.

View from top of Onteora.

After going in for lunch I headed up to the 7 and got on the lift with two girls on the race team. One of the girls was complaining to the other about how her dad made her stay in a hotel for the weekend without asking if she liked the place or not, i found it funny.

Lift ride up. On the left side two people decided to ski down on the two inches of snow.

From the top of Lift 7 i skied over to Wanatuska.

Upper Onteora from the bottom.

Onteora from the mid-station down,very soft snow.

Belleayre moved the mini terrain park from lower Wanatuska to "Area 15", the area near the snowmaking pond, the staff did a great job on all the features.

After making my way through the terrain park i went down to super chief and skied Horseshoe Pass which had gone to boiler plate but had soft snow on the sides from everyone kicking it to the sides.

I went up and skied down Roaring Brook for the first time this season it had some grassy, rocky spots but you could avoid them. My favorite part about that trail is when you make the first turn and can see Plattekill in the distance.

that's it for my first TR hoped you all enjoyed it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Belleayre 1/7/12

ml242
way to get some, thanks for posting!

So there are like three or four ways down now? hmmmm
Reply | Threaded
|

patchrick09
ml242 wrote
way to get some, thanks for posting!

So there are like three or four ways down now? hmmmm
 haha pretty much, finally got the top of roaring brook, wanatuska, onteora, horseshoe pass, and a few others half way open
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
Awesome report! Haven't made it to Belleayre yet this season..looks like it might soon be worth the trip up! :-) And Gotta love the Tomahawk side of the mountain...it's always less populated.
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

patchrick09
jimvdak wrote
Awesome report! Haven't made it to Belleayre yet this season..looks like it might soon be worth the trip up! :-) And Gotta love the Tomahawk side of the mountain...it's always less populated.
Its very nice I always start on super chief then the 7 then tomahawk, right now it says theyre making snow on tomahawk crossing, upper dot, roaring brook, the ridge trail and iriquois but the other day they also had snow guns ready on yahoo
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
Nice..this weekend looks like its going to bring in some great snowmaking temps..probably heading to Belleayre for my first time this season next weekend (1-21 or 1-22).
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by patchrick09
Onteora looks prime, and in those temps with sunshine... mmm.

How warm did it get?

I haven't heard much from Belleayre this season, in terms of marketing from the mountain, or trip reports. How was the crowd?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

patchrick09
This post was updated on .
Harvey44 wrote
Onteora looks prime, and in those temps with sunshine... mmm.

How warm did it get?

I haven't heard much from Belleayre this season, in terms of marketing from the mountain, or trip reports. How was the crowd?
Well harvey it got to about high 30's low 40's with tons of sun, then clouds rolled in later and it cooled off.
I work for Belleayre and Tony was telling us how the state's cutting everything, they cut 1/3 of the snowmaking budget, they have absolutely no marketing, no discount days and they also cut wages of some employees, and all the employees who went to 10 clinics do not get the 5 tickets that they would normally get to hand out to friends or family. Also not much of a crowd but it was the busiest i've seen it so far this season just a small wait at super when the after lunch crowd came out, but good conditions all day.