Belleayre Opening Day 12-10-11

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Belleayre Opening Day 12-10-11

Judz
Hi everyone, been ghosting this forum for a while now and thought I would finally start posting.  I do a lot of riding in the catskills, daks, and southern VT. Headed over to Belle for opening day and to pick up my pass.  It was sketchy to say the least, basically an epic combo of ice and death cookies down onteora from the midstation.  Luckily they decided to do a mid-day grooming which made the following few runs a lot better.  Still beat the hell out of sitting on the couch!

Heading up

We need snow

Top of Onteora off the midstation

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Belleayre Opening Day 12-10-11

tBatt
Mid-day grooming? Did they hold everyone at the lifts for a 1/2 hour and make a quick pass up and down or something?

Conditions may not be great, but this weekend had some gorgeous weather. I went out for a nice bike ride today.
Reply | Threaded
|

Judz
Yah, they closed the lift for about 15-20 min.  Sure was beautiful out!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Judz
Judz wrote
...mid-day grooming...
This is funny. This isn't something I've ever hear of, but X and I were talking about this at Hunter.  There was an obviously deep base of snow on the steepest part of Hellgate, and 20-30 minutes with a groomer could have made a big difference.  Getting a groomer to that point would take some time, but they could have run it up a trail that wasn't open. The fact that we were thinking about it and Bell did it, just shows that many mountains had a tough time making snow last week.

Ghostin' and postin'... LOLz. Dig it and welcome Judz.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp