34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Belleayre Resort at Catskill Park

Benny Profane
ausable skier wrote
x10003q wrote
This has happened already right in your own backyard - Gore and Whiteface. If Belleayre is able to connect with Highmount and build out to its 25 mile limit they will be able to charge more and increase skier visits - just like Gore and WF.

I think there is a market for the village. There are plenty of people who would like to cut 1-2 hours (or more) of driving each way from a weekend ski trip. The added bonus to the village is the other skiing in the Catskills. Maybe the increase in overnight visitors would help to reopen Bobcat.
x10003q enjoy your fantasy world

I don't know. I speak from a position of being the market here. Maybe I don't want to live out west all year. Maybe I want to live in the east most of the year and just rent out west and maybe some middle class Europe thing a month or two a winter, but, my backyard is here. (I just personally market researched Reno. I like green trees and grass in my life in the summer. And, I don't like pawn shops and homeless people downtown.) Maybe the market caters to me and puts all three hills on one pass with some cheap lodging close by all of the three, so my skiing in the East is affordable. I can dream, can't I?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
Benny Profane wrote
  I don't know. I speak from a position of being the market here. Maybe I don't want to live out west all year. Maybe I want to live in the east most of the year and just rent out west and maybe some middle class Europe thing a month or two a winter, but, my backyard is here. (I just personally market researched Reno. I like green trees and grass in my life in the summer. And, I don't like pawn shops and homeless people downtown.) Maybe the market caters to me and puts all three hills on one pass with some cheap lodging close by all of the three, so my skiing in the East is affordable. I can dream, can't I?
Benny - are you changing your mind - a few days ago you thought building a village at Bell was stupid.  Now you are waviering and longing for a faux alpine village?
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Oh, no, no, I just want cheap lift tickets to three mountains and cheap beds nearby. The less beds right at the base, the better (RE: Gore). Less crowds.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by ausable skier
ausable skier wrote
x10003q wrote
This has happened already right in your own backyard - Gore and Whiteface. If Belleayre is able to connect with Highmount and build out to its 25 mile limit they will be able to charge more and increase skier visits - just like Gore and WF.

I think there is a market for the village. There are plenty of people who would like to cut 1-2 hours (or more) of driving each way from a weekend ski trip. The added bonus to the village is the other skiing in the Catskills. Maybe the increase in overnight visitors would help to reopen Bobcat.
x10003q enjoy your fantasy world
That's right - just continue to ignore the facts. Your pretty picture does not change the fact that Gore and WF were barely hitting 100,000 skier visits and the lift ticket prices were half of what they were in Vt. After NYS finally started to upgrade both mountains and increase the terrain skier visits went over 200,000 and lift ticket prices are basically the same as VT. If there are upgrades and terrain increases at Belleayre, the same thing will happen.

You never ski the Catskills yet you have so much to say about the Catskills. The only fantasy is the bile you spew about the Catskills in these threads.

Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
I'm from the Catskills and i tend to agree with him..
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
The two worst websites in the world are Belleayre's and the USPS  - both govt institutions. Hopefully ORDA fixes that at least... and about the 25 miles, they never use the stuff under the tomahawk liftline. I hope that doesn't count against them. It'd be amazing if they could retree the far side while doing a really good job mowing underneath, just in case... there are some nice little cliff bands in there that could get hit every four or so years.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
BOGO makes me laugh!

Yo AS,   you got your BOGO on?  

AS, Are you ready to BOGOOOOoooo?

BOGOs, its what's for dinner!!!

A BOGO a day keeps the doctor away!

That chick totally wants to BOGO!

I've BOGOed and I cant get up.

Pass the BOGO dude.

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Don't BOGart that BOGO man!
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
BOGO isn't funny for Plattekill...

"Belleayre deal has competing ski center crying foul"
http://www.dailyfreeman.com/articles/2011/01/06/news/doc4d252349602d1366541341.txt

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Harvey44 wrote
... I really, really don't like the ticket dumping. I just don't think it's fair or financially prudent for the gov't to facilitate the undercutting of private business, and do so while operating at a loss...
In my own opinion Plattekill has a solid point.  Basically "please stop using my tax dollars to undermine my business."  Only the most cynical would consider that the American way.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Harvey44 wrote
In my own opinion Plattekill has a solid point.  Basically "please stop using my tax dollars to undermine my business."  Only the most cynical would consider that the American way.
When you think about it... and  I'm a few beers into the night here in LA..  
We all bitch and moan that Belleayre is taking our NYS tax $ and stuff... But when they try to make a move to make more $ like "undermining" another areas ticket sales.  We all jump on them..  haha..  

Seriously - I think the BOGO / Central Catskills Chamber of Commerce debacle probably wasn't an attempt to undermine another area as much as it was something that wasn't well thought out by the Central Catskills Chamber of Commerce.

Businesses probably like those BOGOs because they draw business in.  BUT the CCCC shouldn't show favor on one member and not another.   It just amplifies the whole issue in a real way.   There needs to be a balanced approach.  Which i think usually happens.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
I have no dog in this fight and can be objective >

I find it difficult to imagine that an Executive Director  AND a board of directors of ANY CC which has the OWNER of a competing enterprise on its EXECUTIVE Committee would NOT be ASTUTE enough to see this problem in advance and offer a REASONABLE alternative such that either BOTH enterprises were promoted or neither one.

Dayum -------------talk about shooting yourself in the foot
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
dmc_hunter wrote
Seriously - I think the BOGO / Central Catskills Chamber of Commerce debacle probably wasn't an attempt to undermine another area as much as it was something that wasn't well thought out by the Central Catskills Chamber of Commerce.
I think you are probably right.

dmc_hunter wrote
Businesses probably like those BOGOs because they draw business in.  BUT the CCCC shouldn't show favor on one member and not another.   It just amplifies the whole issue in a real way.   There needs to be a balanced approach.  Which i think usually happens.
I think you are right about this too.  Ultimately someone was listening because the practice was cut way back this year.  Should be interesting to see how next year plays out.

Hard to figure out how they could do something in kind for Plattekill, Hunter or Windham.

Oooh ooh ooh! Make Plattekill lift tickets tax deductible!  
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
I have no dog in this fight and can be objective >

I find it difficult to imagine that an Executive Director  AND a board of directors of ANY CC which has the OWNER of a competing enterprise on its EXECUTIVE Committee would NOT be ASTUTE enough to see this problem in advance and offer a REASONABLE alternative such that either BOTH enterprises were promoted or neither one.

Dayum -------------talk about shooting yourself in the foot
The reason Plattskill can't compete with free is that Bell was not trying to run itself as a business that made money.  Why you ask probably because they understood that they could not compete otherwise.  Orda will not allow this BOGO mentality but if the past managers felt it was hopeless to make a profit how is Orda going to?  
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.