Belleayre and Woodstream 3-23-17

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Belleayre and Woodstream 3-23-17

Ethan Snow
I skied Belleayre yesterday for the first time in 6 years. I spent the day with two rather controversial figures known to this forum, Snoloco, and Glade Runner. Unfortounately, neither of them post here anymore, so I'm posting on my own and their belahlf.  It just so happens that these guys are some of my favorite people to ski with, and our personalities are very similer. It's awesome being able to connect with like-minded skiers to share the experience with. All photos on this post belong to Glade Runner.

It was a bluebird day. It felt mild, but still well below freezing.

I absolutely love Belleayre. I think it's the highest ski mountain in the Catskills, and the views are very inspiring. I can't believe I've been using Hunter all this time as my alternative to Plattekill, with a place with so many good trails and as beautiful as Belleayre.  (RaisingArizona, I am starting to agree with you about your stance on Hunter) I will definitely be skiing Belle more in the future.

A great view of Plattekill from Belleayre.

After a great day at Belleayre, the three of us headed North toward Woodstream Ski Area. Snoloco and Glade Runner had never been there before and wanted to check it out.

We skied almost two hours. I think they had fun. The snow was firm but edgable, both in the woods and out on the trails.  Woodstream doesn't really ice up due to the incredibly low skier traffic. The untouched, but firm snow in the woods was consistent and fun.

Snoloco riding potentially the most primitive ski lift in NY

I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Belleayre and Woodstream 3-23-17

D.B. Cooper
Why no Woodstream thread under Ski Conditions?
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
It's there. Just hasn't been updated in a while. My fault.
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
I prefer Belle but I went with the Hunter season pass this year due to the peak resorts having 7 mtns and the pass was only 400 for 18-29yo.  I can see the gripes with hunter for sure.  It is a fun mtn but definitely has the mainstream vibe.  Next year I will be getting my pass at Belle.  They have a great deal for folks under 30. I need to take advantage of that before I age out.  

I've never heard of Woodstream, is that the Catskills?  

Great TR
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
louie.mirags wrote
I just clicked the hyperlink and read about it.  Makes sense meow. Great stuff
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by louie.mirags
louie.mirags wrote

Great TR
Haha. Funny we were just talking about this earlier. Woodstream is just barely to the North of I-88 in Oneonta, so It's really outside the Catskills. However, you can see that ridge I was referring to from Woodstream so I would argue that it is part of the same geographic landform. It's only 150 vertical.

Woodstream is AKA my backyard.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Nice one Ethan, cover looks good.

Still open... outlasting Greek Peak?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Harvey wrote
I'm skiing today. Solo, but yes, I consider Woodstream open later than Greek. Overall, this past season was great. I'm also going to try to get back to Belleayre before the season is over.

You going to visit Woodstream one of these days? Maybe next year.  When you're in the Catskill area, don't hesitate to PM, or email me.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Nice one Ethan, cover looks good.

LMFAO!