Berkshire East, MA: 2/6/16

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Berkshire East, MA: 2/6/16

snoloco
I visited Umass Amherst yesterday during a snowstorm that left about 3 inches.  I liked the school a lot, and it is among my top picks, due to a strong engineering program, easy access to skiing, and a large ski club.  It is also a bit less expensive than most of the other schools that rank high on my list.  Staying in the student-run hotel that was on campus, I was positioned quite a bit further north than I usually am, so I took advantage of this opportunity to ski the closest ski area to the university, which I had never skied before.

My dad had work on Friday that he couldn't miss, so he didn't visit the college.  My mom and I drove to the ski area in the morning which was about 45 minutes away.  We got on the lift by about 9.  My dad met us at around 10 after driving up from home.  Snodad and I are skiing Mount Snow tomorrow, so that's why he came up.  Now for my thoughts on the ski area.

The ski area has 1,180 vertical and the main lift is about 3,400 feet long to give an idea of the average pitch.  The runs aren't very steep, but all have decent pitch with no runout at the bottom.  There are two lifts that go to the summit, a quad with a loading carpet as the main lift, and a triple as the backup.  Both lifts ran today with no more than a couple minutes wait for the quad and no line at the triple.  They also have a short double serving a beginner area, and another (rather slow) quad serving a separate section of the mountain to looker's right.  It has about 2/3rds the vertical of the summit lifts.  Both these lifts had zero line all day.  

I liked the ski area and would definitely be happy going there on a regular basis if I attended Umass Amherst.  I skied from 9 to 3, pretty much nonstop and was never bored.  

I want to add pictures, but it may take awhile because they're on my phone.

Pictures are below, enjoy!!
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Berkshire East, MA: 2/6/16

snoloco
This post was updated on .
Flying Cloud

Base Area looking up

Looking down Minnie Dole
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Top of the mountain

Wind turbine and lift

Exhibition

Chute

Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by snoloco
Looks like a nice hill to have so close to college.  Thanks for the report, Sno!

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
It's no PC, but it's not bad.  

I like the Berks.  Not quite the Adirondacks, but not bad.  It's a good location for a skier to be IMHO.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
OMG - tell me it isn't so, no HSQs, no bubble lifts and certainly not wall to wall coverage as the pictures show, how could you stand the place - it goes against everything you have ever posted.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
PeeTex wrote
OMG - tell me it isn't so, no HSQs, no bubble lifts and certainly not wall to wall coverage as the pictures show, how could you stand the place - it goes against everything you have ever posted.
Actually I think his point is places like this should have all that.  Of course if they did, they'd be out of business in no time at all.  He'll learn all that when he gets his MBA
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I like a change in pace every once in a while from the crowded superhighway trails.  It's always fun to ski a new mountain.  They don't need any high speed lifts there.  The main summit quad moves pretty quick for a fixed grip since it has a loading carpet.  It's only 3,400 feet long, so no need for a HSQ.  The mountain does have about 90% snowmaking coverage and groomed all of the open trails today.  I'm skiing Mount Sno(w) tomorrow to fulfill all my bubble lift needs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Nice report. I've been to Jiminy a million times and never Berkshire East. Have you looked at middlebury college? I told my son they have their own mountain and he got really excited about it, even though he's only 13
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I believe the summit lifts at the BEast have a 4000' line length, not 3400'.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Nice report. I've been to Jiminy a million times and never Berkshire East. Have you looked at middlebury college? I told my son they have their own mountain and he got really excited about it, even though he's only 13
Expensive and hard to get into.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
Two
snoloco wrote
Brownski wrote
Expensive and hard to get into.
Two Reasons,

Why you might want to look closer @ Middlebury.  If not, you could go Navy Special Ops. Same beat, different tune.

Ski you on the Hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
The Beast looks decent , i need to try that sometime when we visit family in the  495 corridor , we always seem to hit Wawa or Gunstock . The Beast looks to be lower density with a retro vibe
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
warp daddy wrote
The Beast looks decent , i need to try that sometime when we visit family in the  495 corridor , we always seem to hit Wawa or Gunstock . The Beast looks to be lower density with a retro vibe
it's betterer.
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
Nice report Sno. BE is a great alternative to the southern VT areas on a weekend. Less crowds and less expensive lift tickets. Good terrain. You should hit it in a good snow year.