classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Best Campgrounds in ADKs?

jimvdak
Hey All-
Hoping to do a camping trip this summer in the ADKs...any suggestions for campgrounds? Not looking for backcountry and not looking for super nice amenities...just basic, no hook-up, walk to the water spigot and toilets/showers. Nearby hiking trails would be ideal.

I checked out the KOA and North Pole Campgrounds in Wilmington, but their prices were outrageous.

Thanks!
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Best Campgrounds in ADKs?

PeeTex
Check out the wilderness campsites at the ADK lodge on Heart lake. You can also remt a lean to. There are showers and bathrooms in the HPIC and you have some of the best hiking in the park.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
In reply to this post by jimvdak
Taylor Pond..state campground outside of Wilmington

anything on lower and upper Saranac...some are boat and canoe access, some not, but all go quickly.

Browns tract pond is awesome by raquette lake

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I like the state campgrounds at Harris Lake and Putnam Pond.

They are car camping sites, but you can get far away from the cars if you hike or paddle.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

njadk
If you're interested in the Central ADKs, Golden Beach on Raquette Lake is nice, and so is Forked Lake. They're both pretty well known campgrounds so you won't be alone, but you're right by the water.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I've always had a blast at Moffitt Beach near Speculator

I'll second the upper/lower Saranac...can't go wrong

Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
This post was updated on .
I think I'm going with Harris Lake..they still have a campsite on the lake available the weekend we're looking at..

Any tips on good hiking in the area (on or near Route 28N)? And how far is it from LP/Wilmington??
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Indian Lake has some boat in campsites along the lake on the wilderness (east) side. Very private and remote. You gotta have a boat though.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
check out Lake Eaton near long lake.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/camping.html
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
jimvdak wrote
Any tips on good hiking in the area (on or near Route 28N)? And how far is it from LP/Wilmington??
Goodnow Mt is part of the ESF School of Forestry, and the views from the fire tower of the high peaks are outstanding. There is also Camp Santanoni, which you can either hike or mt bike to, and of course the Upper Works trail head for the High Peaks is just over in Tahawus.
To Lake Placid, you looking at close to an hour with summer traffic. 28N to The Blue Ridge Rd to I-87 exit 29. North on I-87 to exit 30. Rt 73 through Keene.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Fish Creek Pond/Rollins pond are in a real nice spot.
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
Here is a great resource to choosing campsites at 21 state campgrounds in the Adirondacks.

Adirondack Campgrounds Site Photo Database
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
Thanks! I do prefer the state campgrounds...you usually know what you're getting and you can't beat the price.