Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Ski Area Within Two Hours of NYC

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Well played sir.
Spot on, eh ? No worries, mate ! Hey, how's about you post a little more often and toss some pics. Dad likes pics.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
In reply to this post by Harvey
I did Belle in about 2 hours 15 minutes.  I have done Hunter in exactly 2 hours many times.

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
It is probably about 2:30 to 2:45 away.  Doable in a day trip, but pretty long if you ask me.  These people are much more likely to end up at Mountain Creek or somewhere in the Poconos if you ask me.
Do those people actually know how to ski? Because if you ask me, you are exactly wrong.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Skiray
Skiray wrote
I have done Hunter in exactly 2 hours many times.
Exactly.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Skiray
Skiray wrote
If you live in nyc or long island, Absolute nonsense unless you drive like an idiot and go 90-100mph and leave home in the middle of the night so no traffic and risk your license and life. It's 128 miles from ny. 20 miles of that on backroads. Never mind bridges and constant 24/7 traffic getting out of the nyc metro area. Google maps has it at 2 hours 30 minutes from nyc. Even longer from LI That's with ZERO traffic. We all know damn well there's  ALWAYS some traffic.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
That must suck to live in the city.  A bunch of ski hills I would never even consider visiting.  The Catskills from here is 2 hrs with no traffic ever.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
Skiray wrote
If you live in nyc or long island, Absolute nonsense unless you drive like an idiot and go 90-100mph and leave home in the middle of the night so no traffic and risk your license and life. It's 128 miles from ny. 20 miles of that on backroads. Never mind bridges and constant 24/7 traffic getting out of the nyc metro area. Google maps has it at 2 hours 30 minutes from nyc. Even longer from LI That's with ZERO traffic. We all know damn well there's  ALWAYS some traffic.
You really have no clue about anything!
I've made it to hunter plenty of times  in about 2 hours, in fact I think I make Platty in about 2 1/2. I'am still alive and haven't gotten a speeding Tik since 1984.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
never any traffic going to the mountains, coming home is a different story.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I can get to Hunter in 1:45 from where I live.  I usually leave at 6am and arrive at about 7:45.  Windham is about 2 hours on the dot.  Jiminy Peak took like 2:15.  I haven't been to Belleayre in a while, so I don't remember exactly how long that takes.  I can make it to Gore in about 3:15, so that is just barely doable in a very long day trip.  I have to leave at 5am to do it and still arrive too late to get the close parking lot.  I did it twice in 12-13 and got paid parking both times to speed things up.  It only cost $12 extra and probably saved 10-15 minutes of walking to the lodge.  Well worth it to my dad who had some back problems that year and that made it harder to carry equipment.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I can get to Blue Mountain in maybe 1:50, but I'd rather poke my eye out with a stick.
I laughed out loud. We have the best terrain and lifts in the pokeys and snowmaking and grooming are always improving to make up for our lack of elevation. I'm about 20 minutes away and am able to ski when crowds and conditions are optimum but I would be bummed to travel and pay face value to ski there when they're not...
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
Mountainsnow a little over 3 hour lot s if high speed chair s snowmaking family place. It not as good as K or Hunter but it has want you want.
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
I finally got you to say something about Blue Mountain on the New York Ski Blog.  Maybe I'll ski it some day. See, it isn't that bad to say something about it.  I'm actually skiing in NY today at Hunter.  I will definitely say something about that on NY Ski blog.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
Apologies Gorgo.  The place is really not bad.  And I forgot that it was your home mountain.  That's like telling a guy his sister is ugly.

Is there a loudspeaker system there? I think I remember one time I went there after a nice snowfall, and they had this really loud announcement running constantly that said something like...

"Do not go off the trails. Any rider going off the trails will be arrested."

...not lectured, or pass pulled, but turned over to law enforcement.

Did I dream that or was that real?

I spent some time there working on my bump skiing when I was trying to learn to take advantage of the trees at Gore.  They had a trail that they would let bump up on one side, while they groomed the other.  It was extremely helpful to be able to bail on each run when I got tired and wanted to groomer out.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Harvey wrote
Apologies Gorgo....
Is there a loudspeaker system there? ..
Haha no apology required, I avoid it like the plague on crowded weekends... that's when I head for the (cny) hills

You must be thinking of elk with the speakers, blue is pretty liberal with the trees when we get some snow and the mtb trails have opened some new lines over the last few years. We only blast awful top 40 out of the lodges

Bumps have been awesome last few years, gonna head up this afternoon for a slush bump session!

Sno I post about blue when it's appropriate, just not in every cottonpickin' thread!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
gorgonzola wrote
Sno I post about blue when it's appropriate, just not in every cottonpickin' thread!
Quoted for truth.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp