Best car top carrier for XC skis?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Best car top carrier for XC skis?

greif
I got a nice new 2014 Forester a couple months ago, and now see I am going to need a cargo box if I intend to carry both people and a lot of skis. I am brand new to the cargo box and would appreciate any comments on experiences and advice! Looks like major contenders are Skybox and Thule. I may need a longer carrier than some since XC skis are longer.

What gotchas do I need to watch out for?
Any really thin ones that might still let my car fit in the garage with box attached?
Thanks,
gr
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Best car top carrier for XC skis?

TomCat
I think there was a thread on this a while ago.

My only comment is to consider a ski rack. The good ones are easy to get on and off. Having watched people in the parking lot, I think the rack is easier to load and unload as well. The box is pretty much on for the whole winter and while it's there it puts a decent dent in your fuel economy.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by greif
Both Yakima and Thule make low profile easy on/off boxes.  I use a Thule  on my Hyudai accent.  It takes a couple minutes to take it off or put it on... Which I do every w-end since I use the car for a 70 mile each way daily commute during the week.

A box is a great investment, as it protects your skis from the elements and more importantly, all the salt and sand that is on the road in the winter.  I'm amazed/baffled by the number of people who invest a ton of money in ski equipment - alpine or Nordic, and then stick it in roof carriers.  Not only will the salt corrode binding components, it damages the bases and edges.  

Just make sure that you get a model that will fit the longest ski in your quiver.  Actually, you should get the longest model that fits your car and budget, even if your own skis might fit a shorter box.. That way you can fit a friends pair of 210cm classic XC skis.  A short pair of skis will always fit a longer box..but not the other way around...

As you have a Forester, also make sure you take the time to adjust the fore-aft positioning of the box to allow the rear hatch to open fully.  

Merry Christmas ..,

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
+1 for Telemark Dave.  One's skis should be in a bag, in a box if they don't fit inside the car.  'Nuff said.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
There are no easy answers.

My new Thule rack for our newer CRV is not nearly as easy on/easy off as the old one.  On our old fit kit I was able to add and remove bars in about 20 seconds. Now they're are 8 allen screws and it takes 10-15 mins.

The box itself comes off the bars fast, but driving around with naked bars is unacceptable.  Almost the same MPG loss and LOTS of noise.  Putting on the wind faring isn't worth the extra work.  And there is no way to set up our car so the rear gate opens all the way. That's a PITA.

And... I agree with Peter - valuable ski stuff shouldn't be bathed in road salt.  

The result for us is a bad compromise.  Zeldas skis stay at our place near Gore, as that's the only place she skis anymore.  Neve's are still small enough to go anywhere. The front passenger seat is usually fully reclined to accommodate whatever is considered my current, go-to quiver of one. The girls ride in the back.  We rarely or never use our roofbox.

Roofboxes suck for people who do a lot of highway. They take my winter MPG from 30+ to 25.  But if you need one get a Thule or Yakima. They are both good. Pick which ever is long enough for your longest skis, goes on an off quick and allows you to open your rear gate.  

The only thing I LOVE about the roof box is that I use it like a dumpster.  We have no access to garbage pickup in the mtns and when I'm using a box I can just bring it all home.

This is a flatlander problem. If you live near the mountains use a rooftop rack or just throw them in the car.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
I used to leave my box on the car all winter.  These days with gas being stupid expensive, I put it on for multi day family trips then take it off.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
All this discussion got me thinking...

If you don't use the roof box for Christmas break, then sell it.

So I tried it this trip.

27.5 mpg on the way up... was the best ever with a box. Usually its 25 or maybe 26.

But the restrictions on rear gate usage - it's really a deal breaker.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
With the pod on top, I've banged my head on the tailgate so many times, you don't wanna know.  And one time we headed north for a day trip at, uh, non legal speeds, cold and wind gusting to 40 mph.  Got 19 mpg that day.  Pod still worth it on the right day.