Best powder Morning of the season! (so far)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Best powder Morning of the season! (so far)

Powderqueen

I woke up with the blazing moonlight shining in my window at 5am. The moonlight was glistening off the 6" of fresh snow sending energy into my blood. I tried to go back to sleep, but I couldn't. Got out of bed at 5:45 and soaked in the hot tub sippin a cup of coffee in the moonlight, admiring the perfect powder that had fallen and contemplated my morning.

I showered, put on some base layers and ski pants and went out to shovel a path to the cars. The snow was so light. I donned the xc skis and took a 30 minute nordic tour around my property with the dogs. Whacked some snow off of low-hanging limbs and broke trail on the inner loop. Will save the outer loop and forest trails for later. Conditions were soft and divine.

Got to work early to fill out my time sheet so I could get paid next week, but busted out before anyone arrived . Left my timesheet with a note on the secretary's desk that I'd be back around noon.

Headed out to Virgil where only a small group of powderhounds were beginning to roll in. Some of the usual suspects. Got on the 3rd chair and took the fall line route down in virgin champagne powder.

The snow was beautifully fluffy blower on top of a nice soft base. It had snowed a few times throughout the week, but only a few inches at a time. EVERYTHING was awesome and it felt like floating, even the steepest slopes. Olympian (the steepest) was so darn good that we did it twice and had fresh snow down it both times. I had my Volkl Gotamas out and they totally rocked. Pam, AC and a few other of the usual Greek Peak powderhounds were there. It was gorgeous, sunny and then started to puke more snow. The wind didn't pick up until I had to leave at noon. Had it not been windy it would have been tough to leave, but it is pretty cold out and getting colder and windier, so being in my warm cubicle seemed like a good destination. I picked up a blueberry pie at Hollenbecks for my workmates. They cannot complain about my absence now.

Did I mention, we managed to have fresh tracks EVERY run?!?!!!

Our final run we hiked to the top of the closed chairlift 2 and had Aesop's glad to ourselves, so every turn of our last run was in untouched fresh snow in the trees!!

Very fulfilling morning of skiing.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Best powder Morning of the season! (so far)

campgottagopee
<<<DROOL>>>

Nice TR PDQ

I'll be getting leftovers on Sunday
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Bundle up!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
For sure!!!

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I really don't have issues with staying warm....could be that 6'4", 250lb thing I got goin on.
Reply | Threaded
|

SnowflakeADK
Sounds like a morning that you will be remembering fondly for a looooong time.  Nice post.  :o)
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
Got any pie left?

Hot tub, her own xc trails, the girl lives like a Queen.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
two pieces of blueberry pie, and I also got a cherry pie to bring home, which will be our comfort food for the cold weekend ahead.

When I got home from work, I put on the headlamp and the xc skis and re-broke the trails that have since become filled in with drifting snow. It was quite blustery, but breaking trail kept me warm. The snow sure has changed since this morning. So glad I got out early.

I surely don't live in a fancy world, I don't have much money, and I don't live near the greatest skiing or big mountains, but I have found my place in the hills of central NY and created a life that suits me quite well.

Decided to skip the drive to Gore this weekend and enjoy the bounty in central New York.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
To be clear, just a play on words..... PowderQueen...Queen.

Equally clear is you are the Queen here in Harv's Court. Don't think many can ski as well as you.

Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Snowballs wrote
To be clear, just a play on words..... PowderQueen...Queen.

Equally clear is you are the Queen here in Harv's Court. Don't think many can ski as well as you.

Aw shucks, Thanks Snowballs

I have skied with a few people in Harv's Court and I can say that there are some really great skiers here who ski as well if not better than myself. I do pride myself in being able to keep up with just about everyone though.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
PDQ, sometime we need to make a few turns together at Greek. Think you'd enjoy hangin' w/ our crew....the more the merrier is our motto.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rochester Mark
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
You have my vote for Queen, of trip planning that is! You could do it for a living but that would probably take the fun out of it.