classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Big Red Cats March 1, 2011 (PIX ADDED)

Powderqueen
This post was updated on .
Too incredible to put into words, but I will try to sum it up.

A full guided day of untracked fresh powder in the Rossland Range with good friends. Life is good.

The Big Red Cat operation is top notch. Fantastic and professional guides and very nice terrain.

There was some slide danger and our guide Corey made the call to not ski a particular aspect after digging a pit and analyzing the snow layers. There was a surface hoar of concern and the slope was deemed too dangerous, so we traversed to a nearby glade that did not disappoint.

Most of our skiing was in the trees, some steep glades with old trees, some low-angle young small trees. We even skied a burned area and one run had some very tall snow ghosts.

It has been snowing all day and continues into the night. We'll have another powder morning at Red Mountain tomorrow.

This place is pretty incredible. Already on Day 2 of this trip I can say that this is the best ski trip I've ever been on.

Here are a few pix.

Rochester Mark and his demo skis
bananas
Rochester Mark and his Rippa Sista and me in the cat
in cat

Snow ghosts
snow ghost

RIppa Sista
rippa

cat
cat

group above the burn
above theburn

skiing the burn
rippa burnin

PDQ skiing toward the col through the young trees
pdq
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Big Red Cats March 1, 2011

Chris
I have always wanted to ride through a burned forest, looks incredible.  Hope you grabbed a few pictures!
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Big Red Cats March 1, 2011 (PIX ADDED)

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
Just incredibly scenery and conditions. Way to get it PDQ.

Love the pics of Rippa Sista, The Burn, and Skiing toward the Col.

Forecast looks great too!

Hey Rochester Mark ... you going water skiing with those boards?  How much underfoot?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Rochester Mark
About 130 underfoot but the tips were 160 at least with plenty of rise. Alot of fun in the pow but not much good for anything else! Just like water skiing!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Are you sure they weren't this:

Which checks in at 141/112/128 and is the only ski DPS makes in that yellow colour.

Not that it really matters, the skiing looks totally awesome and you would have had a great time on whatever skis you chose.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Rochester Mark
SBR, Those must be the ones. I was just guessing about the dimensions. They floated so sweet in the powder that I thought they must have been bigger underfoot! Whatever the size, a great ski in the pow!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
I met a mag on the first day of my PowMow trip who said he demoed the Wailers. He absolutely loved them.