classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Big Sky 3/23-3/24 2013

Powderqueen
This post was updated on .
Big Sky is a huge world-class resort. The mountain is simply breathtaking. I was overwhelmed and slack-jawed immediately upon arrival. I think I was drooling too.

Lone Peak

This tram holds 15 people. It is the same model that Snowbasin has. Takes 4 1/2 minutes to the top

The tram had not run all week due to mechanical issues. The snow had piled up and everyone was chompin at the bit to have at it.

And it was sweet.

We only did one run up there because the line was so long, but there were at least 4000 more acres to explore

We met up with lokl and he took us on a tour.

We took to the trees

There were old gondola cars parked in various places in the woods.

This one is well-equipped

Some cool chicks built this

We emerged from the trees and skied the spectacular terrain

It was like a dream.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Big Sky 3/23-3/24 2013

takeahike46er
Nice report! A local I hung out with spoke a lot about the "smoke shacks" hidden all over the mountain, but we never got a chance to visit one.

Thanks for sharing!
Reply | Threaded
|

lemmycaution
thanks, definitely on the hit list. looks like you caught some nice conditions.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
lemmycaution wrote
thanks, definitely on the hit list. looks like you caught some nice conditions.
We had originally planned the trip for early Feb, but our plans were postponed due to a Nor'easter named Nemo. We took advantage of the ability to change our flights to a later date with no extra fees. A friend who lives in Missoula suggested we wait until March. He said the best skiing was in March, with the deepest snowpack, and that we'd likely get fresh powder or spring conditions.

Well, we didn't get spring conditions, but we did get a lot of powder followed by very cold sunshine. It was in the single digits both mornings at Big Sky and only warmed into the 20s. I didn't wear any of my spring ski clothes, only my mid-winter warmies.

I think we hit some of the best conditions of the season. I would definitely do this trip again in mid-March.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Wow, you really scored on your Montana trip PDQ!  Great pics, and I'm glad you had such nice conditions at Big Sky.

The gondi shack thing is pretty cool.  I'd be interested in hearing the backstory on those.  What I know is that the cabins came from a gondola that used to follow the line of the Swiftcurrent HSQ lift.  Not sure how long ago the gondi was replaced, but apparently the mountain allowed a bunch of the cabins to be "adopted" and transported to various hideaway spots around the mountain.  I wonder how many there are spread out over those 4000 acres.  Here's one that we stumbled upon during my Big Sky trip earlier this month:

Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl

I had a great time showing you folks around. Sort of like a blind date. It's no fun when people can't keep up. I was scared that you guys wouldn't be tired after skiing Disco. That place eats legs. Luckily we were all on the same page.
Hut History:
They tore out what was known as G2 in the Summer of '96. There was a huge party on the last day it worked. my buddy and I had about 7 cases of beer and we didn't get out of the gondola car all day... we just rode around with somebody new each lap. One of those laps was with the owner of the ski area. I mentioned that it would be cool to hang some cars in the trees for the kids to hang out at. He laughed and agreed it would be cool. I took this as permission and the following year we got a snowcat and dug some cabins out of the snow and transported them up the hill. The next day about 20 of us got the cabins hung up. Then the whole thing exploded and we have about 30 of them in the woods. Not all huts are gondola cars. Jeff has a nice picture of "Scruff's shack." The picture I posted is the bhudda Hut in 1997. It was a grand party!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Very cool Lolkl.  Did G2 follow the line of the present day Switcurrent lift?
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
yup
Reply | Threaded
|

Rochester Mark
In reply to this post by lolkl
Lolkl, thanks for the tour! It was great skiing with you and Joe and touring the shacks. I hope to be out next winter and ski with you again. Long live the Katana Crew!
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
Do you ski with the Katanas back East? I like mine in any snow condition so I was wondering if anyone skis on those in your neck of the woods.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
lolkl wrote
Do you ski with the Katanas back East? I like mine in any snow condition so I was wondering if anyone skis on those in your neck of the woods.
Mark and I prefer the Line Prophet 100s for most eastern skiing. The Katanas, Gotamas and Shiros come out when there's fresh snow (even if it's just a coupla inches). When it is packed snow or eastern hard pack we really need a stiffer ski and less girth, whether for cruising groomers, or skiing in the trees. Here in the east the trees are much tighter and if there isn't fresh snow, the Prophets are the prefered ski because they are quicker edge to edge and have a little more pop, which is needed here in the east. We both brought our Prophets to Montana but never used them. It was a Volkl week for us since we had powder every day. Is it always like soft and powdery in Montana? or might we had chosen to use our Prophets had we been there in Feb? Maybe next time I'll only bring the phatties.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Powderqueen wrote
lolkl wrote
Mark and I prefer the Line Prophet 100s for most eastern skiing. The Katanas, Gotamas and Shiros come out when there's fresh snow (even if it's just a coupla inches). When it is packed snow or eastern hard pack we really need a stiffer ski and less girth, whether for cruising groomers, or skiing in the trees. Here in the east the trees are much tighter and if there isn't fresh snow, the Prophets are the prefered ski because they are quicker edge to edge and have a little more pop, which is needed here in the east. We both brought our Prophets to Montana but never used them. It was a Volkl week for us since we had powder every day. Is it always like soft and powdery in Montana? or might we had chosen to use our Prophets had we been there in Feb? Maybe next time I'll only bring the phatties.
FWIW I used my Prophet 100s when I was out there in Jan. There was considerably less snow then though.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Rochester Mark
In reply to this post by lolkl
Just skied them yesterday in the spring slop! It depends on what I'm skiing though. If I'm in the trees I'll usually have my Line Prophets, they're a little quicker. This is actually the first spring since I bought them that I've skied them. Last winter ended for me the day I got back from out west due to lack of snow. As you know, with the metal in them the Katanas hold up pretty well on just about everything except the hardest snow and they bash thru the piles of crud and  soft slop amazingly well. I love them. As I remember you ski a 198cm so you can probably take down small trees with those things!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
I've never skied BIg Sky; however, I know that it's a favorite of many people here. Someone on the German-language Alpinforum just posted what is probably the end-all/be-all trip report about it and I thought I'd share it with you. Incredible pix, both on sunny and powder days, with detailed descriptions and so comprehensive, by the end of the report I felt like I'd actually skied it with him.

I ran it through Google Translate and have to say that the interface is vastly improved compared to other times I've used it in the past, where the translation was often clunky. Keep in mind that German uses the verb "to drive" for "to ski." (i.e. "I drove the entire run top to bottom without stopping") and "prepared" instead of "groomed." Enjoy!

Reply | Threaded
|

Ciscokid
Wow most extensive pictured report

Now I know where you and Harv go to learn these TR tactics James, thanks for link
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Oldie, but a goody!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Ciscokid
Ciscokid wrote
Now I know where you and Harv go to learn these TR tactics James
Hah, not even close. I usually limit my TR photos to a dozen. I'd add more; however, for every 15 or so that I take, maybe one is worth keeping. Moreover, Harv has issued several written warnings and threatened to ban me for posting what he considers weak pix.
Reply | Threaded
|

Capdistski
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Just had an awesome 5 days at Big Sky - two families each with a 14 year old boy.  I had stopped through on my own for 1 day two years ago on a short detour from a business trip and have been itching to get back.  Having grown up in Michigan, BS was always Boyne’s corporate big brother.

While they haven’t quite had the volume of snow that other west locales have had this year, for us east coasters it was just fine.  So much territory to explore, not just something for everyone but LOTS for every level of skier, and the vibe is focused on what everyone is there for - being outside and not nightlife although we had one of the best meals of a lifetime at Buck’s T4.  While they are making a lot of improvements (new Ramcharger lift is amazing!) it still has an old school feel and all the lifters, patrol, and hosts were friendly and laid back.  The views are stunning from every run, and the exposed upper sections feel like my one-time Alps experience.  

We left refreshed and honored to be able to have a week like we had, and were reminded of how lucky we all are on our last day when we read of a 9 year old boy from MA who was killed hitting a tree on the side of a blue trail that we skied almost every day.  So sad and haunting - we all need to remind our kids who love the trees how to be careful and safe.

Definitely made some great memories, and the direct flight from EWR makes it easy.