Big Sky Conditions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
78 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Big Sky Conditions

lolkl
For those of you who may be traveling out this way....
Big Sky is skiing well. We got a lot of early season snow and that got a lot of terrain open. Once it was open, it got trampled down well over Xmas week and we have been getting snow since. The early season snow became a bad layer at the bottom of the snow pack up high. The avalanche danger is extreme. Marx, Lenin and the North Summit Snowfield all slid to the dirt and are now building back nicely. The truth is that we need more avalanches to get rid of those bad layers.
In many years, we don't get the tram open until now. This season it was open on opening day ( Thanksgiving ). I havn't looked at the web site but I think we are just about 100% open. Some trails are closed for avi danger and only morons are going out the back country gate. Now that Big Sky took over Moonlight, a big new world of back country skiing will be available with good access back inbounds. Maybe next month.
The ski area is now about 9 square miles. It was already big but now we have 33 lifts. The " All Lifts Race " could take 2 days to complete. This is my 23rd season here and there are still some trails I have not skied. There are even some bars I have not been thrown out of, but Hey, there is always tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Big Sky Conditions

takeahike46er
This post was updated on .
Thanks for the update! I'll be heading to Big Sky at the end of the month as part of a road trip to Bridger, Targhee, and Jackson. I never got to explore Moonlight when I visited Big Sky last year. There was plenty of good skiing to be had without it. Looking forward to exploring that side of the mountain when I visit.

Is Y/C worth checking out? I know someone that works there and can get me access.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by lolkl
Really PUMPED to have a Big Sky Conditions thread lolkl. Awesome!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Bunson11
Just got back from MT...skied Bridger for a few days and got an epic super cold smoke pow day!  Everything is skiing great there with no shortage of terrain.  Then hit Big Sky/Moonlight for a few consecutive days.  Big Sky was skiing great with just about everything open now...and it's huge I'm mean damn big!  Get your legs in shape if your gonna try tackle it. Moonlight was by far my favorite though.  Tree skiing there with fresh snow feels like you're in a dream and with each new section of fresh glades it gets better and better.  Best two tips I got from the wonderful locals in the area.  1. If you see fresh snow and nobody has been skiing it that day stay away from it if you like your skis (rocks).  2.  Willies Big Horn Bourbon Whiskey...simply some of the best whiskey I've ever drank.  To all of those headed out there this season enjoy!  it is a world class ski destination with one of the nicest locals scene I've encountered.  Gonna try to get back for March!
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
The day that I wrote the first ski report here, it snowed 6" in 2 hours while I was writing. I ended up having to go out and plow snow that afternoon. We had a couple flurries the next day and it hasn't snowed since then. And the skiing is fantastic.
We're skiing on really nice packed powder. It's very smooth and fast. You can just let 'em go. I have not skied this fast since Scotty Jack and TJF were here a couple years ago. Our altitude and latitude ( give us the attitude ) keeps the snow nice. Even with the temps in the 30's, the surface isn't turning into boiler plate. It's like the whole mountain was groomed.
They say we may get some flurries tonight but then clear for another few days. I hope this means that we will be in a snow cycle when Campy comes out here. First week of March?
Oh Yeah, the Y/C. Do it. Unless you lead a wealthy lifestyle all the time, it is quite an experience. If your friend can get you in but can't ski with you, let me know. I have strings to pull that get me in there. If you are there and get bored you can always ski back to Big Sky. But it takes more than one day to get bored there. There is some terrain there that will make you shit your pants. And the lodge is more than cool. I love pulling up in my old pick up and the valets come running out to get your gear and park the truck. They don't mess with the roaches in the ashtray either.
Reply | Threaded
|

takeahike46er
Thanks for the update, lokl. It's reassuring to know that conditions haven't gone to shit despite the lack of recent snow. Also, thanks for the tip about the Y/C. I'll now definitely check it out for an afternoon.
Reply | Threaded
|

takeahike46er
Definitely some fast conditions right now-- perfect for ripping on the groomers. Off piste is highly variable, but satisfying on the right aspects. Light accumulations overnight won't be enough to bury the crusty layer. Lone Peak has a lot more rocks exposed than this time last year despite comparable base depths.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
lolkl wrote
We're skiing on really nice packed powder. It's very smooth and fast. You can just let 'em go. I have not skied this fast since Scotty Jack and TJF were here a couple years ago. .

Miss you man!  Big Sky Rules!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Lolkl Down

lolkl
Yup, I shit the bed.
Last Friday, my birthday, I was enjoying a beautiful powder/packed powder day. I was skiing with a group of friends, the " Active Seniors ", then I finally ditched them so I could go and ski hard. A buddy and I went and skied moguls on purpose. The skiing was great and we were lighting it up in the easy bumps. We got to the bottom and I felt like I just did a pretty good job for turning 55. It was 3 o clock and just about cocktail time. I was heading for the barn just like every other day. I dropped off the trail a few feet before making a big left hand turn onto another trail. But this time I was a little too close to the woods and a branch took my ski off clean. I was leaning the wrong way for that to happen. I never reached the left hand turn. I was upside down and going backwards when I hit the trees. I got my head and shoulders between two trees but my legs were flopping all over the place. My left leg hit a tree about 4 times before I landed.
It hurt quite a bit. My buddy picked up my skis and untangled me from the mess. It took a while but I got my skis back on. ( At Big Sky, this area of the mountain, Andesite, is patrolled by mostly volunteer patrol. The pro patrol calls them " Re Re's " because you always have to go and redo what they were supposed to do. And no self respecting dirtbag King or former pro patroller lets re res take them on a sled.) I skied to the bottom. Before the swelling took off, I checked myself for real structural damage. My knees worked ok and I could take weight  on the leg and even bang my heel. But when the swelling began I was all done.
I went to the clinic and the Doctor told me to ice and elevate and beware of my foot going numb. And NO drinking. WTF. I spent the weekend in lots of pain. The swelling in my calf is so bad that I can't put weight on my foot. The achilles tendon is locked up from the swelling so I can't flex my toes/foot up. Crutches.
I am going to the hospital today for an ultra sound. They will try to locate to compartments where the blood is bound up. Then they will try to drain it with a needle. I heard that this is very painful. If that can't do it then surgery, where they will need to fillet my calf, ending not only my ski season but I'm in the middle of sheetrocking my new house.
I need to get better in a few weeks so I can ski with Campy when he comes out. It has snowed 2 feet since then and more expected this week. The current skiing is very good.
In Lieu of flowers please send donations to the Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Lolkl Down

Noah John
Bummer.  Heal up fast.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
lolkl wrote
I need to get better in a few weeks so I can ski with Campy when he comes out. It has snowed 2 feet since then and more expected this week. The current skiing is very good.
In Lieu of flowers please send donations to the Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center.
Dude,  sorry to hear about your injury.  But dont worry about campP.  He doesn't ski, he just drinks and talks about skiing!!  And he sux at foozeball too!!!  hahahahaahhaahahahaha

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
lolkl wrote
Yup, I shit the bed.
Last Friday, my birthday, I was enjoying a beautiful powder/packed powder day. I was skiing with a group of friends, the " Active Seniors ", then I finally ditched them so I could go and ski hard. A buddy and I went and skied moguls on purpose. The skiing was great and we were lighting it up in the easy bumps. We got to the bottom and I felt like I just did a pretty good job for turning 55. It was 3 o clock and just about cocktail time. I was heading for the barn just like every other day. I dropped off the trail a few feet before making a big left hand turn onto another trail. But this time I was a little too close to the woods and a branch took my ski off clean. I was leaning the wrong way for that to happen. I never reached the left hand turn. I was upside down and going backwards when I hit the trees. I got my head and shoulders between two trees but my legs were flopping all over the place. My left leg hit a tree about 4 times before I landed.
It hurt quite a bit. My buddy picked up my skis and untangled me from the mess. It took a while but I got my skis back on. ( At Big Sky, this area of the mountain, Andesite, is patrolled by mostly volunteer patrol. The pro patrol calls them " Re Re's " because you always have to go and redo what they were supposed to do. And no self respecting dirtbag King or former pro patroller lets re res take them on a sled.) I skied to the bottom. Before the swelling took off, I checked myself for real structural damage. My knees worked ok and I could take weight  on the leg and even bang my heel. But when the swelling began I was all done.
I went to the clinic and the Doctor told me to ice and elevate and beware of my foot going numb. And NO drinking. WTF. I spent the weekend in lots of pain. The swelling in my calf is so bad that I can't put weight on my foot. The achilles tendon is locked up from the swelling so I can't flex my toes/foot up. Crutches.
I am going to the hospital today for an ultra sound. They will try to locate to compartments where the blood is bound up. Then they will try to drain it with a needle. I heard that this is very painful. If that can't do it then surgery, where they will need to fillet my calf, ending not only my ski season but I'm in the middle of sheetrocking my new house.
Man that stinks!!! Hoping for a speedy recovery for you.

I'm not gonna make it, my buddy #14 is still going but things have chnaged for me so I'm out. I'll be building a house/camp this summer and figured the 2K it would cost me to make the trip could be better spent on lumber, or something like that.

Total downer for me cause I've never skied out there before --- oh well, there's always next year and hopefully you'll be back on the snow by then!   PEACE
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
lolkl wrote
Dude,  sorry to hear about your injury.  But dont worry about campP.  He doesn't ski, he just drinks and talks about skiing!!  And he sux at foozeball too!!!  hahahahaahhaahahahaha
HAHAHAH

Suck it SJ!!

I'm gonna stuff you in a dumpster when I get up there
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
campgottagopee wrote
HAHAHAH

Suck it SJ!!

I'm gonna stuff you in a dumpster when I get up there
Oh it's on like donkey kong "geek" peaker!!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

takeahike46er
If Big Sky's slick marketing is to believed, it looks like the mountain is in great shape right now:

February 2014 - Big Sky Resort, Montana from Big Sky Resort on Vimeo.

Love Big Sky.
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
The skiing doesn't get any better they tell me. It has been snowing a lot. And blowing. And cold. But we just got another 6" last night  ( she said). They are expecting over a foot tomorrow. The coverage is all there. Just not me. I still can not put weight on my foot. I'm getting closer but I'm still down and out.
I have a buddy that I used to work with at Sugarbush. Long story but he is the guy who got me into going to Big Sky in '91. I have not talked to him in years but he got in touch with me. He's coming out here next week with some friends of his from LA. It turns out that he and his brother developed some kinda software program and sold out for " More money than he could ever spend." So he hired Dan Egan to take him and his buddies around for a few days. I was invited into the group. I have known Dan forever and worked for his brother Johnny for years. We were going to be able to cut the tramline for three days in front of my friends but now I'm laid up.
Yeah, the skiing is really good right now.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
ugh!  My man Bret is there right now!  He invited me a month and a half ago on this trip; stay for free at his place!!  UGH!!!!  I need to just pull the damn trigger!!!!  UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Hope you heal fast Lolkl - but gotta let the body heal...

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

takeahike46er
Lokl-- sorry you are unable to enjoy the recent snow. Hope you are able to get out before the season is over.
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
At 55 I don't seem to be healing as fast as I used to. All this clean living going to waste.
Instead of going to Underground Dirtbag today, I am going to see the physical therapy people. 2 totally different kinds of people. I heard that they built a huge jump and a good landing. The venue the past couple years has been excellent. The kids are throwing double front flips while drunk and tripping. Pretty good show. Somehow they don't hurt themselves... much.
The guys I plow with have gone out every day this month. Like myself, the machine I operate is broken and the weather problems the rest of the country is having has affected our ability to get parts. It has also affected the ski area. Buddies tell me that there are " walk on " tram days happening. The restaurants are only doing half the dinners they did last year. Maybe this will affect me in a trickle down kind of way but I think it's great to have the slopes to ourselves, even if I can't play.
Yeah Scotty, your friend is probably having a good time here right now. I can't believe Camp p isn't going to be here. I just got my foosball shoes resoled and washed most of the blood off them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I don't post in this thread basically because I don't know lolkl and I don't know squat about Big Sky.

But you seem like a great guy. I'm sorry for your bad luck lolkl and I wish you the best.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp