classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Big Tupper Conditions

ml242
Any boots on the ground here?

They seem to be the farthest east of all the ski areas on the backside of this storm. Currently 35 and snowing. NWS totals predict 3-5 but I think they may be sandbagging a bit.

Would love to know what's going on there in hopes to day trip tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Big Tupper Conditions

tjf1967
I drove by 20 minutes ago.  There is no snow on the ground and the trails are covered white, barely.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Sounds like you just saved me 6 hours of driving.
Reply | Threaded
|

njadk
Bummer...hope it'll get straightened out by MLK weekend. I enjoy the change of pace from the Gore holiday rush.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Basically no snow in Tupper.  Sunday pm the temp shot up into the upper 30s and it POURED for most of the night as the temps rose to the mid 40s by morning.   Last night the wind shifted for about a half hour and we got a little hit of lake effect, grand total of about 1".  Unless we get a big storm or luck out and get some lake effect, or maybe like Coach Z said, "give us clippers" there is little hope for Big Tupper in the short term. MLK weekend is looking very unlikely when you look at the long term weather forecast.
    Long term, Big Tupper is headed for the NELSAP NY list.  
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Big Tupper is opening for the upcoming weekend.  If you plan on going bring rock skiis and a helmet, very little base.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Anyone going to hit it?  Be awesome to get a report.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Harv,  Got a few second hand reports. On the plus side the comments were that it was nice to ski on "natural" snow. But there was not much of it. One friend said he took 2 runs and left because he was "destroying" his skiis.  Others said it was thin with lots of sparks flying. The storm on 2/5 delivered at best 10" of really low density pow on top of little to no base so the reports make sense.  Even though they are only running one chair servicing low angle terrain they still need another foot or so just to cover the rocks etc.  It is unlikely they will be able to open the upper mtn unless we get several feet of snow because they have not brushed the upper mtn trails for the last 3 yrs.  
Reply | Threaded
|

njadk
Thanks for the insight. Was planning to hit Tupper this weekend, but unless they get some more snow, Gore may be the better option.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

(via mobile)
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
This post was updated on .
Definitely bring rock skis, helmet and brush saw.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From ISkiNY:

The snow has finally arrived in Tupper Lake and the management of Big Tupper Ski Area is anticipating their Grand Opening for 2015 this weekend. As part of the celebration lift prices will be lowered to $ 10 for all skiers and riders 18 and under. This promotion will apply to both Saturday and Sunday. Adult tickets will be continued to be sold at the low price of $25. As usual children 6 and under ski free.

Big T's master groomers Billy Mozdzier and Tim Brown have been working hard to prepare the lower mountain for this weekends festivities. At a recent meeting, manager Ted Merrihew stated "we are thrilled to be able to open and provide this generous discount to the areas children as part of Big Tupper's long tradition of supporting youth participaton in healthy Winter sport."

Chair 2 and the rope tow will be operating and accessing 10 to 12 trails, offering beginner to expert ski conditions. Big Tupper Ski Area is located off NYS Route 30, 2 miles south of the village. For more information go to skibigtupper.org, or on Facebook at Ski Big Tupper.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Got a TR from someone who skinned it the last couple days and he is wondering how they can put out a statement that says "snow has finally arrived in Tupper Lake".  If anyone goes, be sure to bring old rock skis and helmet. Hardly any snow and groomers have pulled up rocks, leaves, branches. This little dusting last night will just cover up the hazards making it harder to see what you want to avoid.  I respect the enthusiasm of the group trying to get this open, but they really should wait for more snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
tupper lakers are hardy people.  They are happy the lifts are spinning.  What the heck does a little rock and wood matter.  old school skiing at its finest.  If you worried about your skis this hill is not for you.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'd like to go just to ride a rope tow again ----- just need to dig out those big heavy leather glove saver things.

Wonder how many of today's skiers have never ridden a rope tow / T-bar
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
campgottagopee wrote
I'd like to go just to ride a rope tow again ----- just need to dig out those big heavy leather glove saver things.

Wonder how many of today's skiers have never ridden a rope tow / T-bar
There is no rope tow at Big Tupper just a Mitey Mite for the beginner hill, cable w handles, about 500 feet long, maybe 25  vert. The T-Bar is inoperable but it was a wild ride in it's day.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
endoftheline wrote
The T-Bar is inoperable but it was a wild ride in it's day.
Yes it was. Tremendous fun.

I'm trying to figure out if my love for Big Tupper is just nostalgia or if it was really that cool. The more I'm reminded of this kind of stuff the more I switch into the "really cool" line of thinking.
Reply | Threaded
|

Little Wing
This post was updated on .
Any one been up to Tupper recently? I was thinking about trying it out 2/18.
Has chair 3 been open?
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Little Wing wrote
Any one been up to Tupper recently? I was thinking about trying it out 2/18.
Has chair 3 been open?
Chair 3 has not been opened yet.  got a report from a friend who was there last Sat 2/14/15, said conditions were very good, nice natural snow, some thin spots but nothing much. However he said he wouldn't be going back after a scare on the lift. Apparently it stopped and rolled back a few feet and stopped, then it started rolling backwards and he said it rolled back aprox 60 feet before it stopped.  They got everyone off the lift OK.  They did not open Sunday or Monday, their FB page said they didn't open Sunday because of the cold weather, nothing about Mondays closure at all.
     Saw my friend again yesterday, apparently they were having a mechanical problem with the brake on the chairlift and that's why they didn't open Sunday. Monday they worked on it and got it fixed. Said the crew was guessing that the problem has to do with the engine being exposed to the cold and wind since the building housing the motor has no siding on it, just studs but they are really just guessing.

I really appreciate the effort of all the volunteers up there but it is time for the developers to pry open the wallet and at least get Big Tupper up and running with some paid staff who have some real expertise. My concern is that someone will get hurt up there, running a 40 yr old chair lift on a shoestring budget is no easy task.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nicky Z
Has anyone been recently? Or know if chair 3 will open for the weekend?