classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
69 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Big Tupper Prospects Looking Bleak

D.B. Cooper
MC2 5678F589 wrote
If ORDA's mission is to empower depressed areas of the state through sports, NY State should buy Big Tupper, sink a couple million into lift, lodge & snowmaking upgrades, then sell it in 10-15 years. Tupper Lake is one of those Upstate NY towns that really seems to struggle (that grocery store across from where they do Woodsman Days is one of the saddest places in the state). I think a huge infusion of money would be pretty effective (more effective than a "Mountain Coaster" at Mount Van Hoevenberg, imo).
Agreed, 100%.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
D.B. Cooper wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
If ORDA's mission is to empower depressed areas of the state through sports, NY State should buy Big Tupper, sink a couple million into lift, lodge & snowmaking upgrades, then sell it in 10-15 years. Tupper Lake is one of those Upstate NY towns that really seems to struggle (that grocery store across from where they do Woodsman Days is one of the saddest places in the state). I think a huge infusion of money would be pretty effective (more effective than a "Mountain Coaster" at Mount Van Hoevenberg, imo).
Agreed, 100%.
ORDA's track record in North Creek is horrible. Why would that change in Tupper Lake?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Imagine if they were not there what it would look like.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'd be more concerned with NC if Barton Mine wasn't there.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Yep.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
MC2 5678F589 wrote
tjf1967 wrote
Yep.
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/The-latest-ORDA-Screwup-tp4142791p4144577.html
x10003q wrote
    ORDA took over Gore in 1984. Has North Creek really seen any economic benefits from ORDA running Gore?
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I looked to see if North Creek was being helped by all of the millions they poured into Gore and found this:

Population - 2018      1,351
  Population - 2010 1,770
  Population - 2000 2,082
  Population - 1990 2,412
  Pop. 1990 to Now -43.99%

Holy shit.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Point stands.

Imagine how much worse it could be.

Check out the population stats for Hamilton County.

Or, Tupper Lake itself:

Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
endoftheline wrote
. I'll keep playing all the Lottos and if I win big, Big T will reopen. .
This has been my plan for the last 15 years, but somehow, I haven't won yet.

Sell it to whom? That's silly. If the private market wants nothing to do with it now, then why would it be interested 10-15 years from now? And why would the skiing market drive by Gore for another hour or so to get to a lessor mountain, even if it is all gussied up with new lifts?
As mentioned above, nobody even bothers to stay in North Creek after all of those millions. This would be classic pissing into the wind. The northeast ski market has been and will be shrinking. 10-15 years from now you will probably see the loss of a big Vermont hill or two.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote

Imagine how much worse it could be.

I don't see this.

People who live there are a hardy group, always have been and always will be. Certainly time changes everything but I have fond memories of that specific area of the Dacks. Still have family there. I never hear them complain.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Many of these communities have gone from permanent residents to vacation homes. The decline in residents is not so alarming. Real estate is moving again in the North country.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
The Great White Shark may have taken the ACR bait but he just spit the hook.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
endoftheline wrote
The Great White Shark may have taken the ACR bait but he just spit the hook.
Shocking!!! Where is Captain Louis Renault?

https://youtu.be/HMIyDf3gBoY

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
MC2 5678F589 wrote
endoftheline wrote

I tend to be shocked when MC and i agree about anything.  

https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2019/07/big-tupper-in-limbo-again/

Seems that Franklin Co foreclosing and then transferring Tupper to Orda could be a workable plan.  Makes way more sense than wasting money on Belleryre

Orda is talking about spending $32 million on Mt VanHo for a new lodge which is just a stupid idea.  Divert even a third of that to Tupper and get it back running.  Probably would take a year or so to get the summit there running so make it skinning access up there to give Tupper a niche.  The town of Tupper really needs a boost

Also it would seem like maybe your u could get Clarkson and StL university’s to invest to use for their  ski teams and students use.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Z wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
endoftheline wrote

I tend to be shocked when MC and i agree about anything.  

https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2019/07/big-tupper-in-limbo-again/

Seems that Franklin Co foreclosing and then transferring Tupper to Orda could be a workable plan.  Makes way more sense than wasting money on Belleryre

Orda is talking about spending $32 million on Mt VanHo for a new lodge which is just a stupid idea.  Divert even a third of that to Tupper and get it back running.  Probably would take a year or so to get the summit there running so make it skinning access up there to give Tupper a niche.  The town of Tupper really needs a boost

Also it would seem like maybe your u could get Clarkson and StL university’s to invest to use for their  ski teams and students use.
Maybe get Amazon to build a distribution center there - yea, right. I was reading in the Adirondack Magazine that they can’t get people to fill out surveys and forms to give the municipalities access to state and federal grant money for infrastructure, they are worried about severe under counting in the census.

Tupper is a lost cause. It needs to focus on summer tourism and lake front property owners.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote

Orda is talking about spending $32 million on Mt VanHo for a new lodge which is just a stupid idea.  
Coach we need to remember this is NYS we're talking about. The same state that wants to do away with the regents diploma to increase graduation rates. HUH?? Like wow, that makes zero sense.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
campgottagopee wrote
Z wrote

Orda is talking about spending $32 million on Mt VanHo for a new lodge which is just a stupid idea.  
Coach we need to remember this is NYS we're talking about. The same state that wants to do away with the regents diploma to increase graduation rates. HUH?? Like wow, that makes zero sense.
Gotta disagree on this.  After ~ 40 years of benign neglect, it's time to bring Mt van Ho into the present.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Right, because nothing has changed in the Regents system before. Certainly not since you have been in school:
The first Regents exams, instituted in 1876, covered dozens of subjects, including zoology, Latin, and philosophy. In the 1900s, the tests were modernized to include subjects like commercial law, homemaking and mechanical design.

The tests were optional, and until 1996, the state had a two-tiered diploma system, in which students could earn a Regents-endorsed diploma or obtain a Local diploma by taking a less rigorous "competency test," depending on whether they intended to go to college.

As the economy evolved, and a college degree became a prerequisite for most occupations, there was a push to make the Regents diploma mandatory, at the time seen as shift toward educational equity.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote

Right, because nothing has changed in the Regents system before. Certainly not since you have been in school:

The only thing that's changed is now kids can't pass it

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
The only thing that's changed is now kids can't pass it
Nope. When you and I were in school, the people who couldn't get a "Regents Diploma" could just get a regular diploma and still graduate. When they took that away, and made the Regents Diploma mandatory, less people graduated.

Maybe read an article or two before going on a rant about something you don't seem to know anything about.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Still 3 types of diploma's available

http://www.nysed.gov/curriculum-instruction/diploma-types