6 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Biggest brands in skiing on market

Z
This post was updated on .
Oh $hit!  This does not sound good.  Would you rather own a dominate market share and most iconic brands in the outdoor biz or Fing rubbermade?  After last winter apparently the answer is kitchen accessories.

http://www.powder.com/stories/parent-company-of-k2-markervolkl-line-looking-to-sell/
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Biggest brands in skiing on market

campgottagopee
Ouch
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
In reply to this post by Z
It'll be fine. Some degree of shakeup for sure, but the article hits the nail on the head. Those are iconic, well-known brands that carry plenty of value. Someone who actually wants them will buy them. I'd rather them be part of a company that is committed to them than one that considers them a "distraction".

Newell wants to be in the big box retailer market and acquired Jarden to get some more of those key brands....Yankee Candle, Oster, Mr. Coffee, Sharpie, etc. The skiing brands just came along with it. Time to sell those off to pay down the debt for what were their real targets were.

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
SIAWOL wrote
It'll be fine. Some degree of shakeup for sure, but the article hits the nail on the head. Those are iconic, well-known brands that carry plenty of value. Someone who actually wants them will buy them. I'd rather them be part of a company that is committed to them than one that considers them a "distraction".
Correct. The ski business is pretty saturated and some consolidation needs to occur. It would be better that these get bought by a parent company in the business than one making Tupperware.

Tupperware - hmmm, maybe there is an old ski hill they can buy...
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
I agree - I'd rather see these get sold to a company that maybe cares about outdoor brands...especially since I own several Volkl/Marker products and it's may favorite ski brand....
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This seems a bit more positive.  It's probably a time to buy at a great price.  The question is do they get sold as one big chunk or separately.  Nike, under armor, Addias all might make sense.  Other ski companies might buy some but all might raise anti trust questions.

http://www.skinet.com/ski/article/heading-downhill-k2-marker-v%C3%B6lkl-among-others-sale
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time