classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
47 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Biggest rip off mountain

skimore
Spongeworthy wrote
 You went once and had a bad experience because you encountered adverse weather conditions, the kind of thing that can happen anywhere. Just bad luck. We get it.
Especially in April when it can be 50 one day and 20 the next. Plus you went to a mtn known for powder and not grooming.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
snoloco wrote
In my opinion, Jay Peak is the worst because of the crappy conditions.  Many would consider MC a ripoff for a similar reason, but it's close and I have a pass there, so it is a good value to me.
Jay Peak is only $49 if you have a pass to anywhere else.
Yea, but they still suck, have horrible snow, exaggerate their snow totals, have crappy terrain, ain't worth the long drive, blah blah blah blah blah...
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
riverc0il wrote
Glade Runner wrote
snoloco wrote
In my opinion, Jay Peak is the worst because of the crappy conditions.  Many would consider MC a ripoff for a similar reason, but it's close and I have a pass there, so it is a good value to me.
Jay Peak is only $49 if you have a pass to anywhere else.
Yea, but they still suck, have horrible snow, exaggerate their snow totals, have crappy terrain, ain't worth the long drive, blah blah blah blah blah...
I concur. Don't go there. Please.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'd probably day trip Jay Peak if I lived in Albany NY.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
Sno, you have to give JP a break...the first time I went, it was boilerplate...it had rained the day before and then it froze,...that said...i looked around, admired the glades...was impressed with the vertical...knew that it would get more snow eventually than Snow Ridge, and returned...and returned...and returned.

I have a pass at WF...take advantage of the season pass offer that JP offers.  It is well worth it.

Sometimes a mountain is like a women...sometimes they are frozen...you slip and slide and get no where...and other times...well we can discuss that when you are over.
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
when you are older....I should have reviewed before posting
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
In reply to this post by snoloco
You have got to be trolling at this point with a statement like that. I went to college in Plattsburgh 2004-2008, I had a season pass to Whiteface all four years, skied average 4 days a week. I still got over to Jay atleast 4-5 or so times a season. Maybe only twice was it rough going. And you know what was? Its something called the weather, amazingly enough it can have an effect on the conditions.

I love Whiteface dearly but Jay offers a really great and unique experience. Just because you can't ski it doesn't make it bad. So please Sno, quit trolling or just shut up at this point because you sound like a moron.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I'd probably day trip Jay Peak if I lived in Albany NY.
Certainly not on a regular basis.  Jay Peak is a long day trip from Plattsburgh...  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
we're all just powder puffing along
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by evantful
I'm not going to drive 6.5 hours just to have a chance at skiing some fresh snow when 90% of the time you get nothing but ice.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

SnowSnake
Sno, did you get a pin for each of the double diamonds you "skied" at those mountains?  
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
snoloco wrote
Those who say I can't ski need to think again.  I have been on every lift, trail, and section at Hunter, Windham, and MC.  I have done the same at Gore except for some glades that were never open.
Clearly you've been battle tested on some of the toughest slopes in the world.

"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
What I don't get is if he hates "boilerplate ice" so much why does he ski at Windham and Hunter all the time?  I've seen some of the worst ice at both of those places with their manmade.  That one section at Windham where all the trails interconnects near the top is always a big sheet of ice and the few times I was at Hunter that steep one K1? was like a skating ring.  
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
Those who say I can't ski need to think again.  I have been on every lift, trail, and section at Hunter, Windham, and MC.  I have done the same at Gore except for some glades that were never open.
ready for Corbetts !!!
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Snoloco.... Any ski area can have a bad day. ESPECIALLY on the east coast where rain/fake snow reliance/overcrowded trails all contribute in turning the whole mountain into boiler plate. If you just up jay peak at random, then of course you have a chance of hitting horrible conditions as with any ec mountain.  They suck most of the time. I'd never hit up VT resorts unless it's snowed naturally. That's why I'd never waste my money on liftopia. I enjoy natural snow groomers. The fake stuck is all scratchy and hard. Most ec mountain goers wouldn't know good snow if it hit them in the face. Of course, you have to ask the question why NVT is so snow gun reliant when it supposedly gets only 150 inches less than alta....yes I know thaws, but NVT is an icebox and rarely thaws for a day or two(yeah it can even rain in utah though rare) in the middle of winter.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
Easy, it r*ins in Vermont during the winter.  Don't remember a season when I didn't ski in the r*in at least one day.  There is r*in at every mountain in the east sometime during the winter.  That doesn't happen in Utah due to elevation.  No r*in means that the snow won't melt out and freeze over like in the east.  Also, due to the high elevation, if the temperature gets above freezing, some of the snow will sublimate directly into water vapor and not soften up and freeze over like in the east.

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
snoloco wrote
Easy, it r*ins in Vermont during the winter.  Don't remember a season when I didn't ski in the r*in at least one day.  There is r*in at every mountain in the east sometime during the winter.  That doesn't happen in Utah due to elevation.  No r*in means that the snow won't melt out and freeze over like in the east.  Also, due to the high elevation, if the temperature gets above freezing, some of the snow will sublimate directly into water vapor and not soften up and freeze over like in the east.

Where I mostly ski (Mountain Creek) there is a constant freeze thaw every single night for the most part.  Highs in the 40's and lows in the 20's.  This means that you get a lot of ice on some days.  However, their grooming makes up for it and the conditions are usually pretty good on the South and Bear Peaks where I usually am.  Partly this is because of low lift capacity on South Peak where one HSQ serves massive trail acreage.  Problem is that because it is all terrain parks on that peak, you can't dump hoards and hoards of skiers up there, or the park will not be enjoyable.  This means that the lift won't be upgraded anytime soon and 15+ minute lift lines will remain the norm.
I know it rains in VT. I said that. lol Utah does get rain RARELY.
Also, it's not just the thaw freeze cycle. I've been at many mountains where they blow the fake crap night before and no thawing and it's not as good as the real stuff. It's hard and scratchy with a icy consistency. Not boiler plate, but bs compared to the real thing. Also, amount of skiers really affects conditions. The more skiers per sq foot an area sees, the more it turns icy. Places with night operations are the worst.

I have a question, can a groomer cut through boiler place....chop it up...and lay it down back as snow? Do they have to go real slow to do that? Because groomers tend to back the snow down way to hard/too much compacting
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
Snoloco.... Any ski area can have a bad day. ESPECIALLY on the east coast where rain/fake snow reliance/overcrowded trails all contribute in turning the whole mountain into boiler plate. If you just up jay peak at random, then of course you have a chance of hitting horrible conditions as with any ec mountain.  They suck most of the time. I'd never hit up VT resorts unless it's snowed naturally. That's why I'd never waste my money on liftopia. I enjoy natural snow groomers. The fake stuck is all scratchy and hard. Most ec mountain goers wouldn't know good snow if it hit them in the face. Of course, you have to ask the question why NVT is so snow gun reliant when it supposedly gets only 150 inches less than alta....yes I know thaws, but NVT is an icebox and rarely thaws for a day or two(yeah it can even rain in utah though rare) in the middle of winter.
hahaha you don't know anything.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
snoloco wrote

Where I mostly ski (Mountain Creek) there is a constant freeze thaw every single night for the most part.  Highs in the 40's and lows in the 20's.  This means that you get a lot of ice on some days.  However, their grooming makes up for it and the conditions are usually pretty good on the South and Bear Peaks where I usually am.  Partly this is because of low lift capacity on South Peak where one HSQ serves massive trail acreage.  Problem is that because it is all terrain parks on that peak, you can't dump hoards and hoards of skiers up there, or the park will not be enjoyable.  This means that the lift won't be upgraded anytime soon and 15+ minute lift lines will remain the norm.
I know it rains in VT. I said that. lol Utah does get rain RARELY.
Also, it's not just the thaw freeze cycle. I've been at many mountains where they blow the fake crap night before and no thawing and it's not as good as the real stuff. It's hard and scratchy with a icy consistency. Not boiler plate, but bs compared to the real thing. Also, amount of skiers really affects conditions. The more skiers per sq foot an area sees, the more it turns icy. Places with night operations are the worst.

I have a question, can a groomer cut through boiler place....chop it up...and lay it down back as snow? Do they have to go real slow to do that? Because groomers tend to back the snow down way to hard/too much compacting
You two idiots are going to break the internet. Holy shit.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote

You two idiots are going to break the internet. Holy shit.
That was great