classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
216 messages Options
1 ... 567891011
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bought my last Honda.

campgottagopee
If you like that dealership then call the sales manager directly. My gut tells me your working with a BDC agent who solely wants you to walk in the door. Not a bad thing because price doesn't sell cars, but you already know that. If the SM is worth their salt you'll have your quote in an hour or so. If not go to the next closest one to you who you like.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The dealer is close to me and I bought my last four cars there. I went in last Saturday the sales manager really was obnoxious this was a young kid I liked him and now he's basically telling me the price all in I want to see it itemized just so I can run it up against Edmunds. Edmunds has got the thing at 27.5 I think he said their price was 27.2 so that's fine I just want to see it on a piece of paper because when you add all the tax and a few options that I'm getting in it becomes a hell of a lot more than that.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
You must be on your phone or something. LOL

You aren't asking too much at all. They will do that for you once you get in contact with the right person. I'm not sure what dealer fees you will run into so I can't help you there. In NYS dealer fees are set by law. I know other states have outrageous fees to make up for low ball price advertising.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I am to the point on my phone where I almost always use voice to post. Typos abound. I tried to correct the typos.  If ok with you I may PM you about it.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
PM away
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sent thx.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
He was lying and/or lazy Camp.  I know it when I see it.  (present company excluded. )

Here ya go, Harv...   https://finance.yahoo.com/news/expect-visit-car-dealer-173200680.html
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Marcski wrote
He was lying and/or lazy Camp.  I know it when I see it.  (present company excluded. )

Here ya go, Harv...   https://finance.yahoo.com/news/expect-visit-car-dealer-173200680.html
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yo Harv --- you pull the trigger cowboy?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Not yet. I am probably driving the sales kid nuts.

I'm trying to decide about the roof rails for the Thule rack.

He's pressuring me telling me that the 2017 price is going up in October. Sounds like BS?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Sounds like total BS to me.  Incentives do change from month to month. Doubtful they'll be taking any incentives away on model year 17 with 18's around the corner.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Me either.

I am wondering... can they REALLY etch my windows and make me take it? If it was mandatory wouldn't it come from the factory that way?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Harvey
I can't see the price going up but may be the guy needs a sale before the end of the month. You know your buying one go give the kid a hand tomorrow and buy the thing. You need the racks just get them. My God your a tough customer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I admit that is true.

We are talking $700 for two things I don't want:

$499 for window etching
$199 for wheel locks

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Those bump stickers happen in metro areas. Once you move north you won't have to deal with them.

Small and medium sized SUV's are what's driving the market right now Harv ---- for 700 bucks just buy the thing and be done with it. You have better things to do with your time that fret over that. In other words if you don't buy it someone else will.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Harvey
What are window etchings?  700 bucks? God loosen up that peach knot and save yourself the stress.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Window etching is crap --- spodda be a theft deterrent ---- they engrave numbers on all your windows so they can identify your car in case of theft easier. Or something like that.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Like your name and phone number?  Sounds silly in 2017. Cars should be able to be disabled like phones if they are stolen.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Mandatory non-factory upgrades sounds like a crappy way to milk the customer for more money after a price has been agreed upon. Lame. I've walked out on a new car purchase over a few hundred dollars before when I felt like the car dealership was not dealing honestly. But like I said before, I am willing to sacrifice time and ease of transaction to get what I feel is the best deal. It all depends how you value things like your time and how the dealership is doing things.

This nonsense is why I like to start by making an all in offer, accept it or don't. When you make an offer and negotiate, you'll always negotiate up and the dealer will find ways to add on a few hundred here and a few hundred there. As long as you are still talking to them, they know that they have you. A car buyer's only power is the ability to leave without buying.

But you are trying to make a purchase on Honda's hottest model so that is a harder negotiating space. To me, it is all about total cost all in whether I want the add ons or not. Only you can decide whether the total deal is acceptable or not. Don't let other folks tell you to take a deal you aren't comfortable with. But on the flip side, you might want to take the deal if you don't think you can do any better at another dealership.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm pretty sure it's the VIN number they etch. Your VIN is in a lot of places in the car isn't it?

I was reading about it it sounds like a five minute job. I would total rather risked theft and have the 5 hunge. Seven hunge.

I email the next closest dealer last night:

Mr Dealer,

I’m wondering if I can buy a car with no:

Wheel Locks
Window Etching
Mandatory Options

He responded this am and said yes so I asked for a price.

If the price is within 500 bucks I'll buy it from the kid. He deserves the sale. I just want to know.

What does a car salesman make on a new car? How much does the dealer make?
1 ... 567891011