216 messages Options
1 ... 891011
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bought my last Honda.

scottski63
This post was updated on .

Just picked up a 2018. It drives well and is much more comfortable than our Subaru Forester. Still getting used to the sensing thing
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The sensing thing takes some getting used to. At this point, I think it's excellent, especially the cruise.

Be curious to hear your impressions as you go, if you feel like sharing.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
On the highway I love the blind-spot detection in the Titan I'm driving. That and the backup camera are the bomb!
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
campgottagopee wrote
On the highway I love the blind-spot detection in the Titan I'm driving. That and the backup camera are the bomb!
I never use my right side blind spot detection, that feature is always off. Though I was surprised how much I utilize the backup cam. I wonder if I've started to rely on it too much and I am not looking around enough.

39.1 MPG with months 15 on my Civic Hatch with all tanks tracked.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The backup cam is cherry.

I've got 31.8 mpg lifetime on the crv over 15k miles. I get 32+ driving around here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
We're a Honda family atm.  Honda mower.  Honda Odyssey.  Honda Civic.

My in-laws have a CRV and a Civic.

Overall I've been pretty happy with them.  I actually like the van quite a bit.  We've had an issue with something leaking periodically in the sunroof/windshield area but it only happens once in a while and I haven't been able to pinpoint it.  Thought it was the sunroof at first, but after some messing about and research I think it may be the windshield seal.  

Our Civic has the CVT, and it's OK I guess.  I hope it's reliable, that's all I care about.

Our van typically gets around 25 mpg (with V6 and deactivation) and the Civic gets 30-32 mpg.  All our driving is mixed city/highway.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski

Just saw this, Harv..., you don't have this engine but still sucks for Honda.  I think its bound to happen with companies trying to eek out the extra HP as they go down in size. I'd imagine it has to be tougher on engine and engine components and must be working at a higher compression etc.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/consumer-reports-says-honda-cr-185336941.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Wow thanks for the heads up.

Haven't seen any stalling or smelled gas. Sounds like the recall notice will be coming soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Harvey wrote
Wow thanks for the heads up.

Haven't seen any stalling or smelled gas. Sounds like the recall notice will be coming soon.
Do you have that engine?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yes. The 1.5 liter turbo comes in 4 of the 5 available models.

The mileage is a big jump over the last CRV I had which had basically the same engine as the one model without the turbo.

I wonder if it had to do with how you drive. Like if you don't use the turbo much maybe it's less prone to leaking?  I don't press it much.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
Cunningstunts wrote

Overall I've been pretty happy with them.  I actually like the van quite a bit.  We've had an issue with something leaking periodically in the sunroof/windshield area but it only happens once in a while and I haven't been able to pinpoint it.  Thought it was the sunroof at first, but after some messing about and research I think it may be the windshield seal.  

You may want to check the vents for the sunroof. They should be located in the corners of the roof. Blow them out with compressed air. Over time they will get plugged and back up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Camp speaks the truth. I've read of similar problems and fixes in the Audi forums, for Audi's getting moisture/water inside the cabin.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Cunningstunts wrote

You may want to check the vents for the sunroof. They should be located in the corners of the roof. Blow them out with compressed air. Over time they will get plugged and back up.
First thing I did.  

I actually had the dealership check it out too and see if they could make the sunroof leak.  No dice.

It doesn't always leak either.  I had the headliner down when it was raining and there was water up there and I couldn't see where it was coming in.  And nothing seemed to be coming in.

It hasn't leaked in a few months, but with all this rain, it might start again soon.  I'll keep an eye on it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
Just saw this, Harv..., you don't have this engine but still sucks for Honda.  I think its bound to happen with companies trying to eek out the extra HP as they go down in size. I'd imagine it has to be tougher on engine and engine components and must be working at a higher compression etc.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/consumer-reports-says-honda-cr-185336941.html
Wife smelled gas today. I haven't yet but there is some reporting that it is a cold weather thing. Dealer says they can't help without a recall.  Not good. Thanks for posting this.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
This is a weird problem. Years ago this could happen in cars with mechanical fuel pumps where the diaphragm would leak and gas would get into the oil. In some normally aspirated cars (those with a carborator) it could happen if the run over rich in cold weather and fuels would pass through the rings into the oil but cars now usually have electric fuel pumps and fuel injection. Unless they are over fueling or objecting at the wrong time there is no other way to get fuel into the oil. It will be interesting to see what the cause is.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
It's probably actually attributed to something called "cylinder wall-wetting" or injector leakage.  This is a common issue with direct injection, and all these small displacement turbo engines use that fueling strategy.

It sounds to me more like a wetting issue if it happens when it's cold.  What happens is the fuel is hitting the cold walls of the cylinder and not atomizing.  With direct injection, the fuel is injected right into the cylinder.  The fuel is very low viscosity so the oil ring doesn't scrape it very well and makes it way into the crankcase.

It's not really a big deal except that the fuel washes oil off the cylinder wall and can create more wear than in an engine that doesn't have this issue.  If the amount of fuel in the oil is excessive, then it can reduce the lubricity of the oil, and cause other wear issues.  There is a very unlikely event that the fuel in the crankcase could ignite, but very, very unlikely.

Fuel and combustion gasses always make their way into the crankcase (where the oil is).  It happens on every engine.  It's called blow-by and there is a system in place to deal with this and cycle it back into the intake to be burned.

When this could be an issue for the CRV is if you do a lot of short, cold trips where the engine doesn't warm up enough to evaporate and burn off the excess fuel in the oil which made it's way in when the engine was warming up.

The other issue is hydro lock if the injector(s) are leaking.  This would leave a large amount of fuel in the cylinder after you shut the engine off and could break the engine upon startup.  If this is the issue, then I'm pretty sure we'd see some more reports of engine failures.  If it was injector leakage I'd expect the excess fuel in the oil at all temps, not just cold temps.

It could be a combination of both these issues as well.  Either way, long trips and regular oil changes will help keep you out of trouble.

It could also be something entirely different.  I'm not about to speculate, but the few things I can think of would cause other major issues that you'd notice.
1 ... 891011