CNY and PA Ski Tour - Synopsis

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

CNY and PA Ski Tour - Synopsis

Face4Me
When I decided to do this "tour", a few people I mentioned it to thought I was a little crazy. The most common reaction was, "Why? Why don't you go to Vermont or New Hampshire?"

The reason was simple ... This trip wasn't really intended to be about "skiing" as much as it was intended to be about experiencing the vibe and character of small(er) ski resorts. With the fresh snow that had fallen during my trip, it turned out to be about both!!!

Map of "The Tour"

This was an awesome experience, and if you ever get the chance to do something like this, I highly recommend it. Unfortunately, I didn't get to go to all the places I had originally planned for, which I guess is a good thing in a way, as it leaves open the opportunity to do this again, with a revised "plan of attack".

I'm hoping to be able to do this every year in the future, with plans to do similar tours in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Eventually, my hope is to take this traveling road show out West, and do the same there.

We all need to have goals to shoot for!

Who knows, maybe next year I'll be "Coming To A Ski Area Near You!"
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: CNY and PA Ski Tour - Synopsis

Thehof
Great posts!i love the whole idea of your adventure. Now i'am motivated to try my own
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Your report is a great read. It is something I always wanted to try. What were the other areas you wanted to visit that you skipped?
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
x10003q wrote
Your report is a great read. It is something I always wanted to try. What were the other areas you wanted to visit that you skipped?
I was planning to go to McCauley, Snow Ridge and possibly Woods Valley.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Will Creek be in the next one?  It was very close to the route this time.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
snoloco wrote
Will Creek be in the next one?  It was very close to the route this time.
I skied Mountain Creek many times back when it was known as Vernon Valley.

From what I've heard about the current Mountain Creek, for my purposes, there's no reason I'd ever go there.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by snoloco
Maybe not my choice of ski areas. I like the idea of a ski area sampling..Nice to see that mom and pop ski areas still exist ..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Big Birch and Sterling Forest?   Ooops, I gotta get outta the 80's!
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
love the idea, always wanted to do this with the western pa / wva hills: blue knob, whitegrass, seven springs, denton etc. the reality is if I had 4 days, 6 lift tickets and a couple of tanks of gas to burn to check out new hills, ain't no way I'm headed south!
Reply | Threaded
|

skiman2244
I did a ski tour 2 weeks ago of NH and Maine. Cannon and Wildcat in NH and Saddleback and Sugarloaf in Maine. My favorites were Wildcat and Saddleback. Great variety and great terrain and very beautiful views from Wildcat and Cannon.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Face4Me... Dig the map. Maybe you should link the individual TRs to the synopsis?  I could help if you need it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp