Caberfae Peaks, Mi 1/13/18

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Caberfae Peaks, Mi 1/13/18

Mi Skier

This report shows how we manage to have fun on a small hill in the Mid West.

Another weekend another trip to Caberfae. What made this trip different was the last minute planing and leaving on Friday night, setting up the pick up camper and sleeping in their parking lot. We got to the Peaks around 11:30 at night and were up by 7;30 and made breakfast

We were on the lifts by 9:15. I have to give a big thumbs up to the grooming crew. After near 60 degrees and rain then a rapid freeze the snow was firm but carvable with some sugar like snow on top with next to no ice. They still have a good 4 foot of base left. It

Saggys Copper Country Ski’s (handmade skis made in Michigan) was there for a demo day. Jim and myself tried a pair. I wasn’t too impressed,but to be fair they were 105mm Ski and we didn’t have the right snow to support it.

After making a number of runs on the Shaggy skis we went in for the mandatory Arlos Ultimate Bloody Mary

We went back out for another hour or so and the. We headed to the camper to make some venison burgers

After lunch the sun came out and helped the 10 degrees out feel a little warmer

Then 20 mins later a wall of snow from the Lake Michigan snow machine would kick in for 10-20 minuets then the sun would come back out

We skied until the light got flat went back to the camper had an adult beverage and warmed up. After we cleaned up and packed up the camper we went out for some night turns

At this point my phone died but we did another 7 runs for a total of 34 runs for the day. It was a great day a a great road trip.

Sorry for the side ways pics. I am not sure what happened.
One thing I have learned about skiing small hills is that if you have the right company and if can make an adventure out of the trip then you can still have lots of fun and not get bored due to the limited terrain
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Caberfae Peaks, Mi 1/13/18

Z
Thanks for sharing
I grew up in the Midwest so I remember those dinky hills well.  
27 runs to get 10k of Vert wow I don’t miss that lift riding with a few turns thrown in.  I get that in 4 gondi runs in an 1:15 at WF
Soft top camper in the winter is cold.  You sir are a dedicated skier.

I get a hoot out of these silly ski phone apps.  There is no way you really were going 56 mph on a tele fat twin tip set up on a 300 ft hill with 20something degree pitch even if you straightlined the whole thing in a tuck and speed suit with a race tune and HF wax with a turbo overlay

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
Z wrote
Thanks for sharing
27 runs to get 10k of Vert wow I don’t miss that lift riding with a few turns thrown in.  I get that in 4 gondi runs in an 1:15 at WF

I get a hoot out of these silly ski phone apps.  There is no way you really were going 56 mph on a tele fat twin tip set up on a 300 ft hill with 20something degree pitch even if you straightlined the whole thing in a tuck and speed suit with a race tune and HF wax with a turbo overlay
I do think I was close to that speed of only for a second. The skis were n the pic were the demo skis which I didn’t ski on for long and I ski with my heels locked. I don’t tele ski. Remember I was on hard pack frim very fast snow
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Another awesome report, bro! Your camper setup is more or less exactly what I'm in the market for, once I upgrade to a full size truck
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Mi Skier
Mi Skier wrote
Z wrote
Thanks for sharing

I do think I was close to that speed of only for a second. The skis were n the pic were the demo skis which I didn’t ski on for long and I ski with my heels locked. I don’t tele ski. Remember I was on hard pack frim very fast snow
Not likely.  These phone apps greatly over report speed.  Maybe you twisted your body or quickly flexed in the direction of travel that increased the speed for a split Sec.  

When you stand on a super G course and see radar speed readings you get a better impression of what 56 mph would look like and I guarantee you can’t get going that fast on a fairly flat 300 foot Vert drop
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
Z wrote
Mi Skier wrote
Z wrote
Thanks for sharing

Not likely.  These phone apps greatly over report speed.  Maybe you twisted your body or quickly flexed in the direction of travel that increased the speed for a split Sec.  

When you stand on a super G course and see radar speed readings you get a better impression of what 56 mph would look like and I guarantee you can’t get going that fast on a fairly flat 300 foot Vert drop
The speed isn’t the reason for using the app. I do it more for keeping track of many runs I can get in.
The camper has a cold weather package where you put instlated panels over soft sides of the camper and there is a small furnace in it. On a 10 degree night you could keep the camper around 50-60 degrees which was plenty warm. Nothing like getting there late at night and seeing the lights of the groomer on the ski hill
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I used to have a watch the tracks that crap but now I find I ski to get away from all our plugged in life’s of too much info.  I’m more interested in quality than quantity as I get older.

Like I said you are a dedicated skier dude which I appreciate.