classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Camelback, PA 02/14/14

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
After shoveling my sidewalk and driveway three different times from yesterday's the two-part storm, I took a run up to Camelback to check out the 16+ inches that fell there.

Very cool that they have the original logo on the side of the lodge.

Although people were initially bummed to see that two-thirds of the trails had been groomed, we quickly realized that a combination of wind and a bit of mixed precip during the night had stiffened the ungroomed powder in many places, so it was actually a good call on Camelback's part. In any case, no one was complaining with how the trails skied -- like velvet, with piles of ankle deep leftovers along the sides as well as a few untouched stretches.

Skiing for an entire day and not hitting bottom once doesn't happen very often in the mid-Atlantic region, so there was a really celebratory atmosphere there today. I spoke with a couple from Colorado on a chair who asked if conditions were always this nice in the Poconos, heh.

Great to see that pretty much the entire northeast got something from this storm. Ski areas must be delighted about this well-timed dump just before a holiday weekend.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Camelback, PA 02/14/14

Thacheronix
Looks nice... how were crowds at the beginning of the Pres Day holiday?
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Thacheronix wrote
how were crowds at the beginning of the Pres Day holiday?
A fair amount of people by the afternoon, but lift lines were short -- less than a minute for the single's line. The single-diamond trails were mostly deserted.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
I've never seen that logo before, it's the coolest.

Snow looks really good to me.  Looks like fat skis would dominate, once again.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Went back to CBK yesterday for my son's lesson. Conditions were really nice with all of that leftover snow from the storm.

With the huge crowds that have shown up, I wonder if they'll break some sort of attendance record this weekend. Amazingly, lift lines weren't long at all.