Camera: What is everyone using to take shots on the mountain?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Camera: What is everyone using to take shots on the mountain?

Snowhunter
I like the sound of the set-up with the Toploader, it's one I have considered often.  Does it bounce around much?
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
With the Lowepro chest harness it seemed to bounce a lot more than my Jerry Rigged setup. If you had the chest harness + my setup I think it would be ultimate stabilization. I have no problems skiing with mine the way it is though. I don't take it out every day, but when I do it serves fine. Doesn't get in the way much at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
If you carry your camera on your chest...you better not fall forward!

Last week at Heavenly, we were just cruising the groomers and taking in the scenery. I decided to bring my big Camera. Here I am with Rochester Mark and Pammy

We stopped and clicked out of our skis to take in the view.

Then we clicked back in and took off down this trail.

Moments after I took that shot, I took two turns and my ski popped off, sending me forward, falling flat onto my camera. I had the wind totally knocked out of me. I saw my vacation flash before my eyes. My whole group had taken off, so I was on my own. I gasped for air and picked myself up. Got my ski which was 20' uphill from me, clicked into it and made it down one the trail with the most breathtaking panorama. Not that I needed anything more to take my breath away, I did appreciate it's beauty, as I was assessing my ability to ski.

I managed with ice, ibuprofen and arnica, but even 12 days later, I'm still a hurtin unit. I bruised my ribs, which makes laying down and sleeping very challenging. I also tore my superspinatus (rotator cuff tendon). I'm functional, but hurting.

The lesson is...don't ski with your camera on your chest.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
WOW!  That is the scenario that I've envisioned when thinking about using a chest mount system.  Sorry to hear about your mishap, hope that you heal quickly.  Beautiful pictures though!