Camera: What is everyone using to take shots on the mountain?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Camera: What is everyone using to take shots on the mountain?

Snowhunter
I'm curious as to what people are using to take their pics on the mountain (and during other outdoor activities).  

I currently switch between a pair of DSLRs (Sony A700 & A350).  Both are capable of some amazing pics and I'm an avid photographer but they're really not getting the job done for me while out on the slopes.  I'm very comfortable with them and usually have at least one with me almost wherever I go but they are very large and heavy and when I'm on the mountain I'm basically using them as point and shoot cameras once I finally wrestle them out of my bag whenever I want a shot.  When I'm focused on photography I don't mind the inconvenience but most of the time skiing is my primary objective but I want a camera available to me if an interesting shot presents itself and/or just to record little memories of my day.

I've been looking around for awhile but I can't seem to find anything that fully fits my needs.  I want compact, but not too small as I have large hands and find many of these mini cameras awkward to use.  I usually use a 24-200mm (36-300mm full frame equivalent) lens so I don't have to change lenses on the slopes and so I'd like something with a similar range (I actually want wider but don't want to give up length).  I'd like as large an aperture as possible and I'd like at least some manual adjustment available to me.

I started my search looking at "rugged/all-weather" cameras but they have a limited focal length.  There are alternatives out there that meet most of my needs but I find myself concerned about the operating temperature specs.  All of the standard cameras claim an operating temperature above 32F, while the "rugged/all-weather" cameras claim an operating temperature of 14F.  I've had no problems with the DSLRs shooting down in the teens (even though both are rated at 32F also) but I wonder if I've just been lucky and I'm pushing my luck.

Any feedback, suggests, etc are welcome.  Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Camera: What is everyone using to take shots on the mountain?

Snowhunter
Okay, I just realized after posting this that I didn't do a search on the subject.  I'm going through past threads now but seeing as cameras these days upgrade as often as computers and stuff I'd still appreciate any and all input.  Thanks again!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
all pics out west were taken with new Iphone...might not be the best , but convenient
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
I've got an older Canon Power Shot A620, 7.1 MP, 4X optical. It takes great pics, but it's so bulky, and heavy, if I ditch my jacket, I usually ditch the camera too. I miss a lot of afternoon shots in the Spring. I'd like to get something smaller, and lighter, that I can carry comfortably in my pants pocket.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by Snowhunter
I own several $$$$$$ worth of cameras, but I don't like to ski with them. The iPhone does a great job.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I use the Canon Powershot. It's small, cheap, seems pretty durable.  If I drop it, break it or lose it, I am WAY less bummed than if I drop, break or lose my phone.  Battery easily lasts all day (unlike my phone). It opens, closes and takes pictures fairly quickly. (I could NEVER get the rapid fire shutter to work right.)

It basically does everything I ask EXCEPT take great pictures. The lens is very mediocre. I think the Canon was $125. I'd pay $199 for one with a better lens.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snowmonkey
I've got the same camera Harv has, but I always forget it!!!  I bought it specifically to take photos while skiing and mtb'ing because it was so cheap I wouldn't feel bad if I broke it.  I end up just using the camera on my Droid X most of the time.  It actually takes pretty nice photos.  I have some problems with the Droid freaking out if it's snowing and the snow hits the screen, though, so it's not the most reliable means for photos.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Nicky Z
GoPro HD HERO and GoPro HD HERO 2
Reply | Threaded
|

highpeakskier
GoPro HD 2, Canon 7d with cotton carrier chest mount. Works great as long as you dont do a face plant.
nature gave us a brain, life gives us a mind. (little dog with Rockies Collegiate Peaks in backround)
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Cotton carrier chest mount???  I've seen some case/chest mount rigs but I don't recognize what you're referring to.
Reply | Threaded
|

highpeakskier
google it. It's the most secure and quickest chest mount I've used. I love it. Use it skiing, hiking and Mt biking.
nature gave us a brain, life gives us a mind. (little dog with Rockies Collegiate Peaks in backround)
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
The Canon PowerShot SD850IS is a great little camera. Some may complain that it's "only 8 mega pixels", but trust me, that's more than enough considering that most users don't bother printing their photos today. Mine is several years old and has always worked great. It's compact and the image stabilization works really well. I just checked Amazon and it's still available new. There are thinner and lighter cameras available, but check the image stabilization closely when using a camera that you will likely try to use one handed.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
OMG! I'm not way up on cameras, but I have this camera ADKskier mentioned and always thought it very good. Glad to see it confirmed by a knowledgable camera buff.

PLUS, you can set it so the print button on the camera's back instantly activates video recording. You don't miss the shot trying to navigate the camera to video, tres importante for skiing. Boom, you're instantly recording video. Cool, huh?

Now when I use the camera, I tend to record more video than snapshots. It's more personal. You can hear the people laugh, talk, interact.....Snowballs always throws in a few yucks.

Put a large 16 gig card in this camera and you can record 4 hrs of near HD video.

Battery charge last forever on this camera. It can sit in the drawer for a year, pull it out and it will have plenty of charge for your needs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Thanks for all the feedback and input (sorry I haven't been on the site for awhile to respond sooner).  It's interesting to see the different approaches people are taking.

The Cotton Carrier looks very interesting but I think I'd be more interested in using that while hiking but not while skiing.  I'd like some protection around the camera and it looks as though it might really hurt if I took a bad fall.  (These are just impressions I get from looking at it on-line and I could be way off base on this).

The iphone and other smart phones I see as a great back-up solution but I tend to be looking for a higher quality shot if possible.  The others here look interesting and I will look at them further.  To be honest though I've gotten spoiled with my fast, high quality lenses and my fast focusing, high MP DSLRs.  I realize that when posting the pics here and other other websites there's not much difference but I'm looking for those shots that I'm going to blow up and put on my wall, high quality pics of the kids, etc.  That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate point and shoot stuff, in fact just the opposite, that stuff can be lots of fun but I'd like to have both if I can.  As such I'm looking at some of the higher end and yet small cameras.  Remember, everything is relative.  Many of the cameras suggested are very compact but to me they're downright tiny.  I'm looking at things like the Canon G1X:

The problem for me is the zoom range of this camera.  I like some of the others with a wider range but they all have slower lenses and I question the camera response speed.  I look at camera's like this but when it's described as sluggish I shy away:

And then of course to complicate things further I start looking at models like the Panasonic DMC-TS3 which fits my desire for a rugged camera (but then we're back to the zoom length issue).

So, again, thanks for all the input, I'm taking it all under consideration as I continue the search for my ideal skiing camera.  I realize I want it all and that I'm going to have to compromise but it's fun to dream and researching this stuff is fun too.  
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
I have been using a Panasonic DMC-ZR3. It works well in the cold and it has way more things then I could possibly use.
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
I use a Stylus Tough 6020..wanted something water proof and freeze proof..love being able to take panoramic shots too..only issue i have with it is the response time in between shots..
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
The lag time is a big issue for me.  Although many of the shots I post on here are static, I have 3 young kids who never stay still and catching the moment is huge for me.  Even with a fast camera it's a challenge and I've missed many more shots with slow cameras.  There will be times when I will be setting up at the bottom of a run with the good gear looking to get those perfect shots but for now I want that compact camera for traveling with me all over the mountain.

Please keep all the input coming!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q - How's the lag time on that camera?  How does the digital zoom?

For that matter, any of you that have recommended specific cameras, can you share your thoughts on the camera lag time/response time and the zooms that you have?
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Snowhunter wrote
x10003q - How's the lag time on that camera?  How does the digital zoom?

For that matter, any of you that have recommended specific cameras, can you share your thoughts on the camera lag time/response time and the zooms that you have?
Lag time and zoom are ok. I use rapid fire at times for action shots.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Canon 20D. I have the Lowepro toploader zoom something bag. I keep it in front and use some webbing and carabiners to go to the lower loops to keep it in place. If I'm skiing with a back pack, I put the waist strap from the pack through the belt loop on the camera.

MC2 has the same bag and a chest harness from Lowepro, but It didn't seem as secure as either of my two methods.