Cannon Mountain, 2-3-2013

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cannon Mountain, 2-3-2013

snowmonkey
I was visiting my SO out in central MA this weekend, and Cannon Mtn. in N.H. had a 2 for 1 tix Superbowl deal going on, so we decided to head up there this past Sunday.  Cannon boasts the highest vertical in N. H..  Unfortunately with the lack of snow, the Mittersill portion of the mountain was closed.  This is where all the glades and ungroomed skiing is.  So, we stuck to blue groomers on the main mountain, as the black diamonds were sheets of icy evil.  

We lucked out and had a perfect blue sky day, although temps were only in the mid-teens the whole day.  The sun and a very light breeze made it so it never felt overly cold.  In terms of conditions, Cannon is dealing with the same stuff the rest of the NE is dealing with:  freeze-thaw cycles resulting in icy slopes.  They were making a ton of snow, and had groomed all the blue trails.  We didn’t get there until noon, though, and the trails, which had been soft in the morning according to a man I spoke with on the chairlift, were getting skied off and were beginning to ice up, adding an extra element of challenge to the groomers.  In terms of size, the mountain is big, something like 250 acres of ski trails and glades, and it never seemed crowded.  Every lift was ski-on, with no lines.  I heard some people complaining that the tram was really crowded, but the one time we took it up, there were only about 20 people on it.  The terrain itself seemed pretty varied, and there was a nice mix of blue and black trails (and greens, too), and different length trails.  The trails from the summit made for some nice legburners when you went all the way down to the bottom.  There are very few flat spots on this mountain.  

As far as atmosphere, I really loved Cannon.  The people there were really friendly and outgoing, very laid back, and it was extremely family friendly.  I saw a lot of families skiing together.  The main lodge was roomy and comfortable, not the most modern facilities, but certainly more than adequate.  Overall, it felt like a really nice place to spend an afternoon.  We skied up until our feet and legs couldn’t take it anymore, which was about 15 minutes before the last chair ran for the day.  Unfortunately I didn’t get any photos, as we were just having too much fun to stop for something like photos.  ;)  All in all, I’d go back to Cannon in a heartbeat, although I would wait until they got a good dumping of natural snow before I piled in the car and made the drive.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cannon Mountain, 2-3-2013

witch hobble
Nice.

I'm there all the time.  But I didn't go out this weekend.  You would definitely enjoy it even more when conditions improve and more terrain is open.

Cannon has Adirondack-like vert and scenery and vibe, but with Catskill-like accessibility from the Megalopolis.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cannon Mountain, 2-3-2013

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snowmonkey
Good attitude girlfriend.

Cannon is a great mountain.

When we went there last year the natural snow was thin, but we pushed it and skied on some really thin cover on Mittersill..

It was a blast.

I really like that place.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp