classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cat Skiing at Whiteface

Highpeaksdrifter
This post was updated on .
WF had problems with the Summit Quad for parts of both Sat. and Sun. Instead of calling it quits on the great skiing from the top, snowcats where made available to take people up. Everybody who did it loved it, they said it was a very unique experience and where happy to be part of it. For most people it was their first time in a cat.

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cat Skiing at Whiteface

JasonWx
kudos to Whiteface..that's how you run a ski area
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
That would be fun.....Can I drive?

Kudos Whiteface.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
 For most people it was their first time in a cat.
And, they soon learned how uncomfortable it can be, unless it's a new model and you're sitting up front on one of those Recaro seats digging on the stereo.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
A+ AND a gold star
Reply | Threaded
|

Frozen Forever
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Hi, new to the forum, but long-time lurker.

I was at Whiteface on Sunday, and rode the cats.  They had a little cabin moutned on the back of one, with quite comfortable seats.  First time in a cat, surprised how well something that looks so ungainly can maneauver.

That said, the experience didn't make up for the irritation of driving three hours to Whiteface only to find that both the Summit Quad AND the Lookout Triple were down, and that they won't do any refunds.  Come to find out later the chairlift at Kids Campus was also broken, and some guy working on it got hurt nad had to be airlifted to Burlington.

Oh well, hope they get everything back up and running.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
You would think they would have at least given vouchers with 2 lifts being down
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Frozen Forever
I'm taking away the Gold star and giving them a B-
As Skimore said.. as least a voucher.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Although it was nice of W-face to offer cat rides it is more than a little frustrating not to be albe to ski the whole mountain and no refund or vouchers given. It was kind of a toss up, do I wait up to an hour in line to get a cat ride to the summit or keep skiing the lower trails and at least get as many runs as possible? I did manage to get in a couple runs on Skyward Sat before the lift went down. This lift has had quite a few issues this year already. The big snow day on 1/12 it wasn't running and didn't run most of 1/13 either. Maybe we will get really lucky and actually get some real snow from the storm predicted for 2/2 AND the summit lift will run all day. I can always dream, right?
Reply | Threaded
|

fahz
When we finally heard that they were doing cat rides to the top we tried to get in line but were told that they had stopped the line I believe they said because it was 3 it wasn't three but I think that they meant the last riders would be going up at three and they had enough people in line.

I was in line to get on the Summit lift when problems started.  If I had of made the lift those people sat for at least half hour before it moved and when it resumed it was at a slow speed certainly better than being involved in a lift evacuation.  Last time I was at a mountain when that happened was Smuggs they gave you a half day pass with a smile.  Bummer they didn't do anything for those people on the lift that sat there.  

I would have liked to ski the summit but still enjoyed the day.  I thought conditions were very good - I posted my pics in a TR.
11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
I'm assuming the cat skiing is free? Think they'll be running it on Friday?

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Cool vid. Wonder if the clouds coming in from the right are an example of the upslope phenom ?