Bosco DaSkia Bosco DaSkia
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Catamount Conditions

Marcski Marcski
Reply |

Re: Catamount

Catamount looks nice. The beer looks awful!  I haven't been there in years. We used to have passes there when my girls were very young.  Vacation week crowds don't look too bad.
Bosco DaSkia Bosco DaSkia
Reply |

Marcski wrote
Catamount looks nice. The beer looks awful!  I haven't been there in years. We used to have passes there when my girls were very young.  Vacation week crowds don't look too bad.

Ha! You are right I drink crap beer. No denying that! But seriously, did you see the size of that freakin' pickle?
ml242 ml242
Reply |

i hate that sign, i say we give the mountain to Massachusetts.
twinplanx twinplanx
Reply |

In reply to this post by Marcski
Heading up this Sunday 3/1 do you guys think the crowds will be manageable? Also any discounts besides ski shops to far from Long Island?
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Second hand report from Saturday; apparently skiing pretty good.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

These guys are not 100% open but I can say they're fully recovered from the thaw; nice surface almost everywhere on the mountain
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Just saw that the new owners (Berkshire East)  are installing another lift that came originally from Magic. Probably not a big game changer for Catamount but nice to see.
marznc marznc
Reply |

Brownski wrote
Just saw that the new owners (Berkshire East)  are installing another lift that came originally from Magic. Probably not a big game changer for Catamount but nice to see.
What I find most promising is that neighbors are supportive of the plans.  That was not the case when Catamount tried work with a real estate developer.  While a new lift for beginners is nice from a snowsports perspective, creating new lodge space is more important for the bottom line.  When I stopped by in early June and walked around the base, it was clear the lodge was suffering from deferred maintenance.  It was also clear that the owners cared a great deal about their customers.  There were framed collections of ski-related license plates and lift tickets from other regions.  I found my home mountain of Massanutten in Virginia.

https://www.berkshireeagle.com/stories/major-renovations-planned-for-catamount-ski-area,548252

". . .
With the new construction, Catamount is planning to host large events such as weddings and concerts — which is new for the ski area.

For the July public hearing, neighboring residents sent letters and emails of support for the plans to town officials, according to Egremont records. "The facility improvements requested will provide a facelift of existing structures and the new ski lift will be an easier transition for first time skiers," wrote Mark Roggen, of Second Street.

The new lodge planned for Catamount will be about 7,600 square feet and be used for ticket sales, ski rentals, lockers, restrooms, retail shops and seating.

The renovations for the existing lodge include a new roof and siding as well as interior updates.
. . ."
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Yes. I’m not sure I can correctly recollect all the details but, even though  Catamount may or may not be a good fit for a big real estate thing, the people that objected were being pretty shortsighted and territorial about it. Hopefully the place will do well under the new ownership. It’s a great family place.