Catamount Ski Area, MA/NY Jan 16, 2015

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Catamount Ski Area, MA/NY Jan 16, 2015

nelsap
I hadn't been to Catamount in a few years, and with a new trail there to check out (Fisher's Fluke), nearly the entire mountain open, and good conditions, it was a perfect time to head back.

For those of you who have not been to Catamount, it is a 1000' vertical ski area, with a quad to the top, a mid-mountain triple serving intermediate/beginner terrain, a unique SLI double chair to mid mountain, and a double chair that nearly goe to the top (but is only open during busy periods).

It is also a ski area that skis much bigger than you'd think. There are two 1.5 mile long intermediate runs from the top (Ridge Run-Promenade and Sidewinder), moderately steep cruisers (Alley Cat, Glade for example), plenty of easy runs off the triple, and Catapult, the steepest trail in the region. Some trails that were not open include Turnpike, which I believe is now open for the weekend.

The new trail, Fisher's Fluke, adds another option off Sidewinder. It is 1500' long, 65' wide, and has two S-turns - a really fun low-mid intermediate run. This run was built in anticipation of more expansion on that side, as they prepare to build the new Berkshire Mountain Club over the next decade.

All trails were groomed packed powder/loose granular, which held up well through the day, as more skiers arrived in anticipation for the holiday weekend. Lifts were mostly ski on or less than a 1 min wait. The lunch special at the cafeteria was a tasty bacon cheeseburger.

Weatherwise, we started off with partly sunny skies and 30F, then snow squalls/snow shower for a few hours midday, and then the arctic air poured in with clearing skies and gusty winds in the afternoon. While the top did become quite breezy, the base of the mountain avoided much of the gusty winds.

It is hard to beat Catamount's value, especially midweek - with $33 tickets, and $20 tickets online for Mondays/Thursdays. With no lift lines, you can get in quite a lot of runs on fun and varied terrain.

Enjoy some pics, Jeremy

Sidewinder (left), Alley Cat (right)
Sidewinder/Alley Cat

Top of new Fisher's Fluke

S Turn on Fisher's Fluke

Lower Glade (left), Chute (right)

Lower Off Stage

Bottom of triple, looking towards main mountain

Snow squall on Mountain View

Lower Alley Cat
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Catamount Ski Area, MA/NY Jan 16, 2015

Jamesdeluxe
Looks like a good place to take the kid. Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Catamount Ski Area, MA/NY Jan 16, 2015

Petronio
In reply to this post by nelsap
Catamount is where I and my three girls learned to ski.  We had season passes for about 4 or 5 years running.  Two years ago we moved to Belleayre, and this year Gore.  The new trail looks wider than Ridge Run or the green that runs from the top on the east side, which is nice.  One of the problems I always had with the girls at Catamount when they were young was the narrowness of the long intermediate cruisers and even that long green.  But I like the mountain and its only 1 hr 10 minutes from my house; always a good option for some quick midweek runs.  It can get really crowded on weekends.

Petronio