Chair Wanted

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Chair Wanted

Ethan Snow
Sorry for starting a new thread, but I couldn't find another appropriate place to post this question.

I'm looking for an old chairlift chair to be used as an Adirondack style swing but with a Chairlift chair. I remember Hunter was selling some when they replaced the double on the west side, but they no longer seem to be available. I'm sure someone in NY has something laying around. Cheaper = better, but I am willing to pay within reason. A double or a triple only. Want to keep it looking classic! Preferably in the Catskill region, but anywhere in NY would be reasonable. I don't really care what the brand is as long as it's not a Borvig! A Hall would be nice, but I know they are in high demand so it's probably not a reasonable request. However, If you can find me a Hall, I might show more $$$.

Thanks,

Ethan Snow
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Chair Wanted

snoloco
Hunter still has a bunch of Poma double chairs at the bottom of the West Side.  They came off the Z-Lift in 2012.  Go skiing there and ask management to buy one.  I don't think they'd have any reason not to let you.  That lift was scrapped and they have only one other lift with those chairs on the mountain.  No other Catskill Mountain has removed a lift that was scrapped as recently as Hunter.

Hall chairs will be incredibly hard to get your hands on because as you said most ski areas love their Hall lifts and are going to run them till they die, which takes many years with appropriate maintenance and upkeep.  Even if a ski area takes one out, it usually goes on the used lift market and gets sold pretty quick.

Your best bet on getting a chair would be to look for ski areas that recently removed a lift and then the lift was scrapped, not relocated.  Many times there are excess chairs in the boneyard.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Type into google "site:craigslist.org ski lift chair"
This is the first east coast result I saw
https://williamsport.craigslist.org/fuo/5418551417.html
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Actually just read the ad and the chair is supposedly from Greek peak; kinda pricy I guess. I don't know what restored ski lift furniture usually runs you though
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
I wonder where all the gp 1A chairs ended up? It would be cool to have one
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Almost certain you can still buy a chair from 1A at Greek Peak
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Believe it or not some chairs from the Sugarloaf Spillway lift went to Big Boulder as lodge furniture.  They're not even owned by the same company.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
snoloco wrote
Believe it or not some chairs from the Sugarloaf Spillway lift went to Big Boulder as lodge furniture.  They're not even owned by the same company.
How do you know about stuff like this?
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Hey Sno
I wonder the same thing as high peaks drifter all the time. Where do you find all your info? Maybe you could post an index of the various sources you use. Could be a real positive contribution to the forum.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
There were pictures of the chairs used as lodge furniture on Big Boulder's Instagram.  This is the same picture that Sugarloaf used to sell chairs in these pictures.

That's kinda weird because Sugarloaf is owned by CNL and Boulder by Peak Resorts.  I would've thought that they would have used Summit Local or Grand Summit Express chairs as lodge furniture.  Summit Local was scrapped instead of being relocated and GSE got new Poma chairs to replace the original Yan set.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Brownski
All this information can be found at http://www.skilifts.org/old/  Has,history on everything lift-related. Apparently Sno has the archives memorized.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
thank you guys for the information regarding the chairs. I did not realize that Hunter or Greek still had any available. They are not listed on their website anymore. I figured they went to another lift somewhere else or something.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
The Hunter Z-lift was scrapped.  One of the chairs actually broke at the weld a week before the lift was retired at the end of 10-11.  It was "standing, but not operating" for 11-12, and removed and scrapped before 12-13.

The chairs they auctioned came off the Y-lift which was removed after 10-11 to replace with the HSQ from the front side.  The chairs from the Z-Lift were not auctioned at this time.  They aren't safe to use in a lift, so if you asked to buy one, you could probably get one.  Just because they can't be used on a lift doesn't mean that they aren't fit for display.