Chamonix/Courmayeur Trip Advice

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Chamonix/Courmayeur Trip Advice

ADmiKe
I'm going to be in Chamonix for a few days (FEB 20-23) with my wife as part of a Paris trip.

Looking on suggestions from those who have been to make the most out of a short stay there.  Where to ski, etc.

Want to ski one day on French side and one day on Italian side.

Thinking of staying in Cham, but could stay in Courmayeur too.  Heard the tunnel is crazy expensive.

Coach Z - I think you've spent a bunch of time in the area?

I think Grands Montets is the premier place in Cham but also saw a post somewhere from you that Brevent/La Flegere good too?

Thanks
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Chamonix/Courmayeur Trip Advice

JasonWx
Here you go..http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Chamonix-Courmayeur-Feb-2014-tp4037607.html

My daughter was in Cham for 2 weeks over the summer..She did not like the town..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I think you need to hire a guide,  I would suggest hiring a female.  They are more understanding and much better on the eyes.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Here you go..http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Chamonix-Courmayeur-Feb-2014-tp4037607.html

My daughter was in Cham for 2 weeks over the summer..She did not like the town..
What didn’t she like about it
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
I think you need to hire a guide,  I would suggest hiring a female.  They are more understanding and much better on the eyes.
Just trying to stay in the “resort”. More of a quick in and out thing to check out the area and do a little skiing .
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Courmayeur is a really cool Alpine town to explore and hangout in, but the skiing is 100X better in Chamonix. From the few times we've talked I get the impression you're all about the skiing. This is a no brainer.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
ADmiKe wrote
JasonWx wrote

What didn’t she like about it

This a quote from her"Crowded ,built up Fake, like Disney World, Didn't feel real..locals said crowds worse in the winter....Courmayeur is great and pretty"

she said the tunnel was 40euros
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
So far it sounds like Chamonix may have better skiing but less authenticity than Courmayeur.

I'm surprised to hear that Cham is built up and fake - I was under the impression it was one of the most iconic ski towns in the Alps

I know there are lots of other places in the Alps that would be better choices...but this region seems the easiest to get into and out of quickly if flying out of Geneva.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
ADmiKe wrote
So far it sounds like Chamonix may have better skiing but less authenticity than Courmayeur.

I'm surprised to hear that Cham is built up and fake - I was under the impression it was one of the most iconic ski towns in the Alps

I know there are lots of other places in the Alps that would be better choices...but this region seems the easiest to get into and out of quickly if flying out of Geneva.
Not necessarily so ..The Portes du Soleil region is about the same distance to Geneva as is Cham..
Hopefully Mr Deluxe will chime in, he is  the expert..

By the way the drive from Paris to Geneva was fun..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
JasonWx wrote
By the way the drive from Paris to Geneva was fun..
Is that sarcasm or it was really fun ha?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
no sarcasm
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Never been there but that is my take on it right there.  And get a guide. It's too big to mess around trying to figure things out.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
With such a short window I would skip the Italian side and do one day on the Brevent/La Flegere section, one day at Grand Montets and one day for Valle Blanche which requires a guide.  If you can swing it money wise hire the same guide for all 3 days.  You really need a guide to get the most out of Cham.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
How often are you going to get the chance to ski there?  Splurge for the guide!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
and pray for sun and clear skis..prepare to have your mind blown..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Yeh I just wish I had more time there but this whole thing stared out as a Paris trip...but I refused to go to Europe in February without some skiing being involved!

As far as going to the Italian side it was more about going into Italy, checking out the town, and just the overall experience than just the skiing. Honestly, my wife would be challenged there, so I was thinking of hitting it first for the previously mentioned reasons as well as to not get her discouraged at one of the larger places on day 1.   This trip just isn’t going to be a hardcore ski trip....will have to come back with just the guys for that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
The Portes du Soleil region is about the same distance to Geneva as is Cham.. Hopefully Mr Deluxe will chime in, he is the expert..
My approach is to go principally to low-profile ski areas. Never been to Chamonix (and don't have the skillz for the badass stuff there) so I have no knowledge to offer.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
If you spend the night in Courmayeur, check out the Roma Bar.  It has a free apres ski spread that can be your dinner.  You can do Grande Montes without a guide, if you stay close to the piste.  Just don't venture up to the glacier.  
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
I was on that trip with Poindexter.  It was one of my favorite all time ski vacations.  Neck and neck with Lech-St. Anton.

Unlike a previous poster, I wouldn't necessarily write Coumayer off.  We arrived there one morning at opening and basically had the mountain to ourselves for the first 2-3 hours.  The grooming was phenomenal ... Deer Valley level.  If you enjoy fast groomers, definitely go.  Also, the on-mountain food was excellent.  Look for a tiny Italian restaurant run by a guy from California.  

As for Chamonix,  Brevent/La Flegere was wonderful, and we spent 2 days there.  If conditions allow, Grand Montets has serious vertical, and with a guide (recommended), you can ski the glacier.   Valle Blanche is a three-quarter day experience, and well worth it.  Just be aware that once you get down the first third of the glacier, the skiing is pretty tame.  Regardless, the scenery is spectacular, and you end up skiing some 25 km from the peak all the way into Chamonix, weather permitting.  And the descent down the Arret will be a truly memorable experience.  

Oh, and the town is wonderful.  Not prefab at all.  Plenty of great, but *very* expensive, restaurants.  

Enjoy!
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Thanks for the feedback - I had read through you guys posts about that trip and it sounded great.

Glad to hear an alternative opinion on the town as well as Courmayeur.  For me personally, maybe not what I’d target ski-wise, but for my wife perfect groomers would be great. I’m sure I can find enough challenging things to keep myself busy while skiing with her.  

As far as cost in Chamonix - did you find it to be throughout every place or were you able to find some reasonable places cost wise?

And Courmayeur you didn’t find to be overpriced?

Also one more thing which I’ve been trying to figure out - I probably will buy the Mont Blanc Unlimited as you did - but where did you buy it? Just at the lift ticket booths?  I wanted to try and get my hands on them beforehand because I may get into town after offices close and I don’t want to waste time in the morning acquiring one and then getting over to Italy.  Delays on ski day mornings drive me nuts. I’m an early person.