Christmas Week in the Poconos?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Christmas Week in the Poconos?

snoloco
Since my home mountain won't be open most of my vacation, me and my friends from school are pissed off.  I will likely get up to Hunter many days these next 2 weeks.  However, some of my friends from school who went earlier this year didn't like it because there are not enough terrain parks.  They are all terrain park snowboarders.  I want to hit one of the Pocono mountains with them over Christmas since MC isn't open.  I hear that these places have better parks than Hunter or Windham do and I think my friends would like that.

As of now, I am thinking that Camelback would be our top choice.  It looks like they have a decent park, plus it would be a new place for all of us to explore.  The only thing I am worried about is the lifts.  Apart from the two older HSQ's, all the lifts are old fixed grips.  From videos I have watched of the terrain park, they look really slow as well.  The terrain park is also served by only one double chair which could lead to some crazy lift lines as well.  It also would detract from the experience to have to split up to ride the double chair since we would go in a group of 3 or 4.  At MC, the lift is a HSQ, so we can all get on together.  They, like a lot of the other places in the area seem to cater to much lower ability level skiers.  I went to Shawnee a while ago and it really wasn't good at all.  Like I said earlier, the lifts were the biggest problem.  Back then, they were all fixed grip and stopped constantly all day because the low ability level skiers couldn't load or unload them.  The lines were also a mess with people falling all over the place.  I also got taken out on one of the trails by an out of control skier.

I see that the other options in the area would be Blue Mountain, Big Boulder, and Shawnee.  Of those, Big Boulder looks to have the best parks, but they are a mole hill that makes MC look huge at only 475 vertical.  That is only 100 more than Mount Peter.  Blue Mountain has the best lifts with an HSQ and 6-pack.  However, they haven't opened their parks yet and don't have what Camelback does.  I was pretty disappointed with Shawnee the last time I went, but they have an HSQ now, so I'd be tempted to give them another chance.  Problem is they only have one terrain park served by an old slow double chair which had a huge line last time I went.

Does anyone know which place would be the best for us to go.  I am shooting for the actual day to the 12/26 the day after Christmas.  Is that a particularly crowded day for those mountains?
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Christmas Week in the Poconos?

Footer
Really look at the snow reports before you go.  Many mountains don't have their parks built yet.  

Assume you don't want to take a weekend trip to Mount Snow?  Best park in the east (with a lot open) and a brand new bubble lift for you to drool over.  No heated seats though.  That might be a deal breaker for you.  Bit more of a drive but doable in a day with a few drivers and a pile of red bull.  
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by snoloco
Blue has a good park setup now on come around but it's served by a pair of old fixed grip doubles. About 800 vert. 6 pack will be running but you can only access the lower half of come around from it. Basically 5 routes will be open- paradise, lazy, main st, come around & vista. It will be crowded - I'll probably ski 8-10:30 tops
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
"My friends and I are pissed off."   Learn to write.  It pays well and you will ski more.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I'm 16 and I'm getting my permit soon, but I cannot get my license for 6 months after I get my permit which means I get it in the summer.  My friends while in the same grade in school are significantly younger than I am so they won't be able to drive for a while.  This means one of our parents needs to take us.  We don't think we can get to Mount Snow unless it is an overnight.  Camelback is only 1.5 hours away, so an easy day trip.  There's no way one of their parents could drive us all the way to Mount Snow for an overnight trip.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
You can't get to the park at Shawnee from the HSQ.
If your friends are doing park does the vertical really matter? Big Boulder is mostly a huge terrain park. They have a new lift so it should run at a decent speed for a fixed-grip lift.
A high speed lift is not always the fastest way to the top when you factor in standing in line for it. Yes, if there is no line it is faster. But people have a misconception that high speed lifts have more uphill capacity. They don't. The loading time is the same as for a fixed grip lift, 6 seconds minimum per chair. You just spend more time sitting on the chair than standing in line.