5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Classic, List or Threaded View?

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
A quick survey. You may or may not know that there are 3 ways to "view" the Forum.

You choose your option at the top of a thread:

Once you have chosen a view option in a thread it then applies to any thread you view until you choose something else.

I periodically get email from people who are very confused by the THREADED option, and some didn't even realize this is only an option.

We're thinking of eliminating the THREADED option, but wanted to find out what people think.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Classic, List or Threaded View?

JasonWx
harv, can you explain the differences?
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Harvey, I don't notice any of those options you've listed, so I voted "No idea ..."

What I do is click "Forums" and then "Topics View" to see latest posts.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
harv, can you explain the differences?
Classic looks like most normal forums. Each response is listed in order by the TIME it was posted.  Classic used the BIG avatars that are about an inch square.

List is similar to Classic in posts are listed in the order they were posted. But avatars are small (1/4 inch?) and only the first line of each post shows until you click on it.

Threaded lists responses underneath the person you a responded to.  They are in chronological order.

The computer techie nerds (GREAT guys btw) who designed the Forum like THREADED the best, and they are sure that if I eliminate the THREADED version there will be a revolution. I figure though if I have a hard time figuring it out, maybe some of you would too.

Somewhat funny, semi-related story - this forum actually has the functionality to allow you to post in a thread by email.  In the beginning of the Forum last summer a bunch of people accidentally posted things they thought they were emailing me. One forum member quit because of it and after multiple incidents I asked the guys to disable the feature - to avoid further stress. The guys were crushed - as they has worked years to develop the feature.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
LOL. That is funny that the techie guys writing code for the board prefer threaded but so far Classic is leading (and I suspect will continue to get the over whelming majority of votes). Often times techies write code for what they prefer rather than what the end user wants. This happens all the time! You know this has happened when you have to use a particularly weird UI.

Due to forums, Classic has become a standard. It is great to have options for other people so I don't see why you would remove Threaded as an option so long as Classic is the standard default option.