classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Clearing lift lines and slopes.

I:)skiing
This post was updated on .
A friend just shared this link with me.   He just used this tool to clear his field that was left to grow for several years.  Said it worked great.   30k purchase, but can be rented.    

I have not had the opportunity to watch how Gore or other ski areas clear their lift lines/slopes in the summer/fall.  We keep them in mowed grass down south and we have a lot less to clear.   At Gore and other larger northern resorts,  I do see where the small trees are cut, but don't know how they do it.   It looks labor intensive.  I assume it is done with a  weedeater with saw blade.     As long as the slope can sustain a skid steer, this machine may be the ticket.  

I recall hiking down fox lair two summers ago, picking black rasberries.  The thicket and growth was well over 4 feet.    I wondered if they cut it or just let the snow pile over it.    We also hiked all over Burnt Ridge last fall....it was more tall grass than trees/briars like fox was .    Perphaps that is an age thing.        

Otherwise just a manly video for those interested in cool tools/toys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPE_8S3XnAk 

Has anyone on this site been "that guy" who has cleared?    Would enjoy seeing some photos and a post similar to a ski report on this process.    
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Clearing lift lines and slopes.

snoloco
That thing is awesome.  It would mean that natural snow trails were open more often because it completely levels the surface.  They could probably attach it to a groomer somehow.  Some groomers are designed to run off the snow.  Every ski area should get one.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by I:)skiing
I:)skiing wrote
A   At Gore and other larger northern resorts,  I do see where the small trees are cut, but don't know how they do it.   It looks labor intensive.  
brush hog
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
What he said. Farmers have been using brush hogs for decades to munch brush, thin trees, etc on fields that haven't been plowed for a long time. They're basically heavy duty large mower decks attached to the tractor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
That thing is pretty hard core.  Regular brush hog is probably good enough for trails that get done every year?  No six inch trees.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
They also have mower decks that can attach to snow cats.  I know Killington uses them.  I'm sure they are tough enough to knock out just about any growth that could happen over 6 months.  

That tractor kind of looks like Furn Gulley's worst nightmare.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
That thing is pretty hard core.  Regular brush hog is probably good enough for trails that get done every year?  No six inch trees.
Right. Think saplings. It wouldn't have to be every year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
"Great for clearing trees under utility lines". I can think of a place this would work great. Anyone want to take up a collection and rent one?
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
let's start with high pines. it was getting pretty brush clogged near the bottom this year.