Colder weather is coming

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Colder weather is coming

JasonWx
It finally looks like there is  a light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately we are going to have to wait one more week.

This week will feature a Low going to the west of region , everyone will have rain and maybe a few snowflakes for the upper elevations (no accumulation).  This will be followed by a slight cool down for friday and saturday due to a week cold front. Later on Saturday we get into a SW flow again and will warm back up.

Now the change. A stronger trough will approach the east coast on tues. This upper level trough will allow some of the coldest air of the season to invade the area. This should set up a few days of around the clock snowmaking..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Colder weather is coming

jimvdak
Make sure to turn your PJs inside out...I'm sure that still applies to man-made snow, right?
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
good, as much as I don't really mind the warmth right now due to not having to heat, and plenty of biking- I cringe when I think about what Gore is looking like after these 60* days, and 40+ nights.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
i'll take some blame. i fixed my snowblower a few weeks ago.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i bought skis
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I got skis too . . . And I didn't burn anything as a Sacrifice to Ullr this year (unlike last year) . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
^It's ok, I did.

And put its twin to good use, too
Shotskis!
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
man what ever you are drinking must be nasty stuff if you have to wear that protective gear
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
He's extracting DMT again..
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
skimore wrote
Very well done IMO and very clear. Stokular too. An excerpt:

The Northeast

The pattern looks to be classic for a cold and snowy 2011-2012 winter. With the PDO, AO, and the NAO being negative. We will see a deeper and more easterly jet this year. this will lead to a higher than average number of cold spells. There will be quite a few lake cutters. Also, with the larger than average number of Clippers and the greater threat of Miller B's, will keep the Great Lakes busy.  

Because of the warm summer and warm fall the Lakes are very warm this year. So lake effect snows will be above normal to well above normal this winter.  Much of the Northeast will be affected by the same storm systems. Most of NYS and New England will see more snow than avearge. The exception being extreme southeast NYS and areas closer to the coast. This is because  most of the storms will track more to the west this winter. So places like the  Philadelphia and New York City metropolitan areas will see less snow and more of a mix or sloppy mess.

I don't think we will see an early spring.  Traditionally, La Nina years see a cold and snowy March and first part of April.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by ausable skier
ausable skier wrote
man what ever you are drinking must be nasty stuff if you have to wear that protective gear
Drinking? No. Drilling. Fiberglass particles suspended in the air is no bueno for the lungs. (or skin, for that matter.)