CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Consequences for poaching a closed trail

sudsnbumps
Not that I condone this sort of thing  but all mountains are different...try it.  The best is not to get caught...but if you do, please report back and let us know how Mountain Creek (my HS ski club went to Vernon Valley/Great Gorge...back in the day) handles it
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
I dont recommend that anyone poach, especially not our impressionable youth. But if you do buy a day ticket. Maybe save a poach for end of the day.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by snoloco
See rule 1 and 2.

I think if you have to ask, then well, you know.

I would suggest don't poach something unless you think it is worth losing a ticket for... assume you'll get your ticket clipped at the bottom of the run. So it better be worth it. If you have a season pass, I'd be especially thoughtful about ramifications. And only then if you know the terrain, know why patrol closed the trail, and have a good idea what obstacles to expect and your ability to handle any such challenges.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Poaching rules are local to the area...
Depend on the conditions and the trail...
And the the experience level of the skier/rider..  

As to weather you'll get busted or not..
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I have four fingers on my left hand because of my foolish poaching at Killington. They chopped it off right there. Never again.

Seriously, just go into it knowing that it could end your ski day, so, the morning is most risky. It can really hurt if you have a season pass, because some mountains will revoke that pass if the patrol person had a bad day.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Benny Profane wrote
I have four fingers on my left hand because of my foolish poaching at Killington. They chopped it off right there. Never again.

Seriously, just go into it knowing that it could end your ski day, so, the morning is most risky. It can really hurt if you have a season pass, because some mountains will revoke that pass if the patrol person had a bad day.
Revoke = to officially cancel the power or effect of (something, such as a law, license, agreement, etc.)

I've heard of season passes being suspended for a period of time, but never revoked for poaching. Please fill me in on what ski areas have this policy.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by snoloco
Just one more thing to add to the good advice already on this thread. Young dude, when you get caught don't be a wise ass, don't lie and don't make ski patrol chase you. If you are polite and fess up to it there's a good chance you'll ski away with just a warning.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
Just one more thing to add to the good advice already on this thread. Young dude, when you get caught don't be a wise ass, don't lie and don't make ski patrol chase you. If you are polite and fess up to it there's a good chance you'll ski away with just a warning.
This...I say poach it then kill em with kindness.
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
Last season, my buddy Tim, went off on a ski school guy for cutting the tram line with a client. It was a powder day and the tram was opening late so Tim had been in line for a few hours. He called the instructor a bunch of names and embarrassed him badly in front of the client. Tim knew that shit was about to hit the fan. The next day his pass was blocked and he just said f*** it. He got to the peak, even with his pass blocked, and attempted to board the Little Couloir. The Little is very rarely open. It is so steep that it can barely hold snow, with lots of sharp rock hazards all over. Tim was the best snowboarder ( sort of like being the best softball player.... Oh, I'll save that for a different thread ) and he commited ski area suicide by launching into the Little. He knew this would mean being kicked off the mountain for life and having to relocate.
He tomahawked after making one turn. It blew the helmet off him. He eventually slid near the bottom, got up unhurt and went to the lodge.
The next day police arrested him for theft of sevices at both Big Sky and Moonlight Basin, tresspassing and violating avalanche boundries. The Mountain Manager was emotional. Tim moved to Alaska with about $2000 worth of fines waiting for him in Montana.
Years ago, I got caught poaching a lower mountain trail. They punished me by burying me 12' deep for avalanche dog training. They gave me a radio in case I freaked out. It was pretty cool. You could hear people and the dog pretty well but they can't hear you. They give you a dog treat and a toy and dig you up after about 20 minutes. The dog gets it's rewards and you're happy to be out. Now I ski with a dog bisquit in my pocket all the time.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
I don't know if I'm impressed or sad this this question is coming from a teenager.... for the times they are a changin
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by lolkl
Best. Post. Ever.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
yup....
Treat Patrol with respect and humility... It will get you out of a lot...

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
Best. Post. Ever.
concur!  awesome read!  Lolkl for the win!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Well, I guess both Big Sky and Moonlight Basin revoke season's passes. Anybody else?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Benny Profane wrote
Well, I guess both Big Sky and Moonlight Basin revoke season's passes. Anybody else?
I've heard of that before.  

Friend got life time ban for skiing closed terrian at Snowbird.  But skiing closed terrian out west is way different than skiing closed trials here on the east coast.  That chit Lolkl was talking about is super steep, high avi?? prone and has the potental to impact way more people than the convict involved....

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
Let's not forget this story about consequences of poaching at Mountain Creek:

http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/index.ssf/2013/05/vernon_man_critical_after_driving_down_ski_trail_flipping_vehicle.html
It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Wow. Only in New Jersey.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Last year Greek gave me someone else's season's pass by mistake. Same exact name as mine with the exception of an additional "O" on the last name. I turned it in, but later thought I should have kept it as a "get out of jail free" pass. I get my pass clipped, the poor bastard goes to pick up his pass, I'm sorry, you're barred from GP. I did have patrol threaten to clip my pass for skiing Fields one night when it was closed. They were blowing on skier's left, I was skiing the treeline skier's right, it was awesome. Clip away if you must, Sorry Robert Conrado.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
Reading in the WF conditions thread there are some good stories of poaching, and the consequences of said activity. Many years ago myself and 3 others of our crew got caught poaching a trail at GP. AS mentioned earlier in this thread poaching rules vary from mountain to mountain. Back the we had free reign of GP, the head SP knew us all and felt we wouldn't do anything too stupid so he let us roll. Anyway, we got caught by a new guy, no big deal, we were def skiing a closed trail and deserved whatever was heading our way (all the while knowing nothing would become of it).

The guy was cool and all but decided to give us a skiing ticket! For real! I never knew they even existed. They are little yellow cards that say something about violating Article 18 Safety in Skiing Code. Later that day we were at the bar laughing about our tickets that we had gotten and what to do with them. With much laughter, various ideas were bounced around one being we should get a free drink. That didn't work. One of us shouted out, we should call ourselves the Article 18 Gang, A18 Gang for short. From that day it has been a real hoot. We have stickers, t-shirts, tattoos, etc etc all from a skiing ticket. Still to this day the lore the A18 Gang eludes most.

Somewhere there is a picture of all four of us standing at the bar holding our Article 18 Safety in Skiing Code tickets. LOL

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2015/gob/article-18/