Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cost $ per ski day What are you gonna pay per day

Telemark Dave
Petronio wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
Do I factor in opportunity cost?  
I thought about that too, and decided that whenever I am on the hill, opportunity cost equals zero.Petronio

Yes indeed. I guess in our case we should considering the "skiing opportunity" cost when we're not skiing...

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
I'll stick with the Harvey philosophy, because as Petronio points out, if you add it ALL up, it could be considered insanity.  But you can't put a price on physical fitness and mental well being, no?  Almost all of our skiing involves lodging, and wifey is a Whiteface Lodge/Mirror Lake Inn kinda girl....so I have further reason to not do the math.  I prefer the classic "c-note", and I don't quite get there per day on the booze.  Fortunately I'm not part of the 'shots at the bar' crowd any more.....for the most part.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
Sooooooooooo does this all mean I have to include the HOUSE I bought in North Creek on the rational "A weekend skiing won't cost much at all because we won't have to pay for a hotel"  !?!?!?!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Gorefarmhouse wrote
Sooooooooooo does this all mean I have to include the HOUSE I bought in North Creek on the rational "A weekend skiing won't cost much at all because we won't have to pay for a hotel"  !?!?!?!
No.
That is a fixed cost.
You pay whether you go or don't go.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
I object!  That would be like saying I wouldn't have to include the cost of hotel rooms, because I have to sleep somewhere.  Unless Mr. Farmhouse would have purchased a second home in North Creek (or anywhere, really) anyway, the only reason he procured said home was for the express purpose of skiing, making said home a cost (fixed as it is) that is directly associated with the act of skiing, and therefore must be included in the analysis.

I rest my case!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
Gorefarmhouse wrote
No. That is a fixed cost. You pay whether you go or don't go.
If you have a season pass you pay for that whether you go or don't go.

My family's costs for Gore/WF:
Season passes: $759 (me), $759 (wife), $299 (kid 1), $30 (kid 2).
I've got 25 days on mine, the rest of the family a bit less, say 20, so $30.36/day (me), $37.95/day (wife), $14.95/day (kid 1), $1.50/day (kid 2).
Gas: 4 to 5 gallons round trip, call it $18.
We bring some lunch stuff and buy a few things at the mountain, call it $20.

So, for our family of 4: $30.36 + $37.95 + $14.95 + $1.50 + $18 + $20 = $122.76, or $30.69 per person average.

I've got one more year of squeezing a $30 Six & Under pass out of ORDA for Kid 2.  I owe her a pack of gummy bears at Stewart's for driving our cost average down.

I'll leave my other dozen plus ski days out of the equation as they vary widely from free (my Utah trip) to kind of expensive (probably a grand for our weekend trip to Stowe).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
In reply to this post by Skidds
True, true
and North creek (according to my wife) was MUCH cheaper house than one at other ski areas.  So in reality I was SAVING money.  Mow my costs have gone down as compared to the cost of the house I could have bought elsewhere.
So don't let anyone fool ya, you can actually SAVE money by skiing!!!!!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Skidds
Skidds wrote
it could be considered insanity.
Skidds FTW.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp