CrCL (ACL in humans) Surgery for Rocky

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

CrCL (ACL in humans) Surgery for Rocky

sudsnbumps
My 3.5 year old dog Rocky blew out his CrCL and needs surgery.  We are looking to use the TPLO procedure using the plate and screws versus the TTA and the Tightrope procedures...with Dr. Fitzpatrick from Veterinary Specialties out of Pattersonville.  Does anyone have any experience with these procedures and or with the Vet?  It looks like he will go in either the last Tuesday in December or first in January.  Although he skis with us once they close the lifts for the year, he really isn't a winter dog so this is the best time of year for him.  We hope to have him back in shape for May skiing at Gore.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: CrCL (ACL in humans) Surgery for Rocky

campgottagopee
Hopefully Doc will see this and chime in. He's a vet and has helped me with a couple issues with my pups in the past.
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
My Lab had the ACL surgery last year. She was just 1.5 years old and wound up like a watch. It was very hard to keep her from running, jumping and general horse play. It took many months of rehab, just like a human. She is back to full speed now and I'm happy that we had her fixed right. I don't know about the different types of surgery. I believe that she had a titanium strap installed between two metal blocks inserted into her bones. It was made by Arteryx or something like that. It ended up costing about $2,200.
A friend of a friend has a lab that blew it's ACL. They opted not to have the surgery and their expensive dog can no longer hunt. That seems like a shame to me. The vet told me that a dog is very likely to tear the other ACL because too much energy is transmitted to the good leg.
I would certainly hire a good vet to do the job. I speyed my older dog years ago but I think I got something too tight. She can't bark no more.
Good Luck !
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Did you look at the plate and screws procedure and what made you go with the titanium?  It is still an option but the vet wanted to do the old school way for his activity level.  She said she had done a lot of the titanium but preferred this way.  I trust her and their practice comes highly recommended  from my Vet, who I think is the best in the world...
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
If someone would like to set up a donation site to help defray the cost of Rocky's surgery, I will surely make a donation.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
We went with the titaniam because that's what our vet uses. Actually, it was a surgeon that specializes in that stuff. She used to work in Texas and hardly ever saw this injury. It happenes to dogs that live in the mountains. It turns out that my wife is the property manager for the guy who owns the company that makes the titanium implants. From what I can tell... he is friggin rich.
Sorry, but don't plan on skiing with Rocky this season. My lab wasn't allowed to run, jump or frollic for 6 months. The dog doesn't understand this and it is hard to keep them down. The surgery was more money than I had and I didn't want to mess up the rehab. Good Luck.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Jon951
Jon951 wrote
If someone would like to set up a donation site to help defray the cost of Rocky's surgery, I will surely make a donation.
That's very nice of you, Jon. Maybe send it through Paypal ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
This post was updated on .
I guess we could send $$ to him if he has a PayPay account, or I believe there's a fundraising site which folks use for such purpose. I think your idea would be the easiest, as most folks have payed for goods, services, or donated through Paypal. I think if this route is chosen, it may be important for folks to select the "gifting" option, as I believe there's one available when one donates their funds.

sudsnbumps ...do you have a PayPal account and are you interested in receiving donations to get Rocky up and running? My son has a German Shorthaired Pointer, and I know how much he's spent to keep his dog healthy...it's a staggering amount of $$. Holidays are coming and your situation represents an opportunity to do something nice for a fellow skier/pinner/shoer/rider/XC'er.

Snowballs:
I know I've seen your name on this forum...are you a LP or Gore local? Something tells me you're local to LP.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Gore. I live in Queensbury, by West mtn, exit 18.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
Ah ha..so closer to Gore than LP. Looks like you have the best of all worlds, as the ADK or VT ski areas are a cinch for you to get to...and of course, West Mountain.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I appreciate the thought Jon but it is not necessary.  Lokl, they told us in 4 moths he should be swim again, so hopefully this will work.  She used to use the titanium but prefers this method.  My wife is more medical than I and she likes this method too.  Fingers crossed
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
I just saw this and I'll chime in.

ACL rupture in dogs are relatively common, but the result to be expected with repair is primarily a function of the experience and expertise of the surgeon. I refer my patients to a board certified veterinary orthopedic surgeon.

The decision on the method of repair (Tibeal Plateau Leveling Osteotomy vs Tibeal Tuberoosity Advancement vs Fascia Lata Strip "Over The Top" vs Joint Capsule Imbrication (which is of little use, mainly a "salvage" procedure)) is determined by the surgeon's familiarity with each procedure, and the dog owner's pocketbook. It's essential that the medial meniscus is evaluated and the "bucket handle tear" that typically accompanies an ACL rupture is concurrently addressed.

How quickly the dog returns to normal activity is determined by the post-op rehab, but also is a function of being sure to controlling the dog's weight. The relative inactivity of the months of rehab might lead to weight gain, so be sure to cut back on the groceries during that time. Low impact activity such as swimming will provide for minimal muscle atrophy as part of the rehab.

Good luck.

It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Queensbury. I was banned from the town of Queensbury for 2 years( 1977 / 78 ). My buddy and I got caught doing a Dine and Dash at a restaurant just next to Exit 18. That was the only night I ever spent in jail. And it happened during a family reunion. I brought shame on the whole tribe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
That's a definite ooopsie ! Bad boy.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Thanks Doc...I know the hardest part is the rehab or lack therof early on
I'll be back