classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Craigslist or eBay?

Harvey
Administrator
It's time to start downsizing.  For years ceramics/pottery was my hobby and passion but it has been replaced by skiing and blogging. (Which has the advantage of taking up way less space.)

I have a lot of great/pro grade equipment that I'd like to move. Does anyone have any experience enough to give advice on which is a better way to sell things?

Craigslist or eBay?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Craigslist or eBay?

campgottagopee
I've never listed anything on eBay so I'm most likely not a good source. However I've had great luck w/ Craigslist selling 4wheelers, sleds, tractors, etc etc  --- no problems at all. In fact I'm getting ready to list my sled in the next week or 2.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
I've used both.

Small tools, clothing, electronics sell better on EBay because you reach a larger market. Cars, furniture and apppliances sell better on Craigslist because they are hard to ship.  Otherwise, eBay is better because you never need to meet anyone, and the payments are guaranteed. You never here a horror story about getting stuck with a bad check or meeting a serial killer on eBay.  

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
How do either or both make money? Do they get a cut of the sale?
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Ebay takes a commission on the seller. I have no idea how Craigslist makes money.  They probably sell you personal information.  Probably eBay does that too.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Harvey
Seems like that may be relatively small market for stuff like that? If so you may do better on ebay even if they take a cut.

I've sold stuff on ebay and CL. When I had a couple whitewater inflatables to sell I put them on ebay knowing the local market would be terrible. I sold them for about $100 less than I purchased them for and had owned and used them for a few years - so that worked out well for me.

Know your shipping costs, even if you plan to pay for part of it yourself (to make your listing more attractive).
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The kiln is really big and probably not shippable.  (Would get destroyed).

I really don't care that much about the money.  This stuff was expensive, it's in great shape and I can't bring myself to throw it in the dumpster.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Might also want to think about the Facebook Marketplace. Also on Facebook, there are "garage sale" pages for your local area that might be useful.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Called the high school art teacher who is a friend, she recommended nextdoor.com as first choice, CL second EB third.

She told me the paperwork involved to sell it to the school or even donate it would be a nightmare.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Harvey wrote
nextdoor.com
Score!  Half sold, another lead for the rest.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Harvey wrote
Harvey wrote
nextdoor.com
Score!  Half sold, another lead for the rest.
And now it's all sold.  Awesome.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee

Harvey wrote
nextdoor.com
I just listed my sled on CL and thought I'd check out nextdoor.com as an option as well. While creating my account it said, "congratulations! You are the first one in your neighborhood to create an account!"

LOL --- guess nextdoor.com doesn't like dirt roads
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
FYI:  I tried to sell a pair of used tele skis at a local swap for $50.  There were no takers.  I listed them on ebay and they went for $185.  For stuff that can be easily shipped, ebay has a huge market audience.  
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Isn't that great! Buddy of mine had a used truck on CL for months and months - no takers. He relisted it and raised the price 2000! Sold it in a week. Crazy
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
The lady who turned me on to it said she knew there were a lot of members in our town, and she also knew (as an art teacher maybe) that there were a lot of people around who were interested in ceramics.  It worked for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Obviously it works because you sold your stuff fast. It just made me laugh that it hasn't caught on here in CNY yet. Not surprising. We should see it in about 5 years or so.

1st day on CL and have a guy coming to look at my sled tonight