Crazy actions on a lift

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Crazy actions on a lift

Gunny J
  What's the craziest actions you have seen gettin off a lift?  Saw a middle aged man on a ski lift today go right around the bull wheel at the top ,never opened his bar. When the lift attendant came out, took off the guys board,he then attempted to sit on the lap of a guy on the next chair lift. After about 3 minutes of coaching by the attendant he staggered away. I would have loved to seen him riding down the hill!
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Crazy actions on a lift

DackerDan
OK - I'll admit it, I've gone round the bull wheel on more than one occasion. Usually a strap has gotten caught in the chair.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gunny J
There is the famous picture of the upside down naked guy.

I've gotten a pole strap stuck on the seat getting off the Adirondack Express at Gore.  

The first time I did the smart thing which was take off down Showcase keeping my eye on it and snagging it (with liftie help) at the bottom.

The second time I fought tooth and nail to dislodge the pole and totally crashed. But did finally get the pole.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Back in my snowboarding phase, my buddy FishBrother and I are riding the chair at Hidden Bump. He's all scrunched over due to the rather stuffed daypack on his back.

Me: "What's in the pack?"

FB: "My stuff..."

Me: "Ahh, OK, well. I leave my stuff in the lodge, it's pretty safe."

Short ride on the Hinterlandian chairs so next thing you know, it is time to disembark. Sitting on the left and riding goofy, I can't really see what is going on. I calmly get off, stop to engage the rear foot and notice that the lift has stopped. And the rest of the gang is snickering in the background.

FishBro is hanging from the chair, suspended by his pack straps a good ten feet off the ground. I have to agree with the peanut gallery, it is enormously funny. He seems to not find the humour in the situation as the liftie backs the chair up so he can touch ground and get off the lift.

Needless to say, he no longer skis with the pack.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Sunday River has a lift that right after loading goes over a snowmaking pond.  I heard that they have to fish someone out a few times a season.  There are those round lift guard rings with ropes in the lift shack.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
FishBro is hanging from the chair, suspended by his pack straps a good ten feet off the ground. I have to agree with the peanut gallery, it is enormously funny. He seems to not find the humour in the situation as the liftie backs the chair up so he can touch ground and get off the lift.

Needless to say, he no longer skis with the pack.
I thought I was the only person to pull off that trick. Did the same thing with a fanny pack full of drinks and snacks for the kids. Hanging horizontal like superman (but not feeling too super) from the pack. Brused ego but no lasting harm. I also ditched the pack behind a tree for the rest of the day. BTW, it was an LL Bean pack - very well built.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
 He seems to not find the humour in the situation as the liftie backs the chair up so he can touch ground and get off the lift.
Must have happened a long time ago, these days a lift without a mechanical lock preventing the lift from running backwards would never pass safety inspection.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by TomCat
TomCat wrote
I thought I was the only person to pull off that trick. Did the same thing with a fanny pack full of drinks and snacks for the kids. Hanging horizontal like superman (but not feeling too super) from the pack. Brused ego but no lasting harm. I also ditched the pack behind a tree for the rest of the day. BTW, it was an LL Bean pack - very well built.

tom
My ex did this on the straighbrook quad as well, except it was the suspenders on her pants that got caught. She hung there for a bit before finally freeing herself. The lifty held up a sign that said 8.5
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by DackerDan
DackerDan wrote
Must have happened a long time ago, these days a lift without a mechanical lock preventing the lift from running backwards would never pass safety inspection.
Hmmm, 2003 or 2004 maybe. Not that long ago. Maybe the rules up here are different. It is part of the Hinterlandian Way to live on the edge.

tBatt wrote
My ex did this on the straighbrook quad as well, except it was the suspenders on her pants that got caught. .../>
I have always wondered about those suspenders. Use 'em or lose 'em, I say. Back in my day they had signs that warned you about long hair and scarves getting caught on the lift. Now these dang kids are riding the lifts with their braces hanging out. Harrumph.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Hmmm, 2003 or 2004 maybe. Not that long ago. Maybe the rules up here are different. It is part of the Hinterlandian Way to live on the edge.
Always possible - I have no friggin clue where the "hinterlands" are, heck - you could be in some third world country for all I know...
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The Hinterlands are just across Lake Hontario in Hanada.  

Hinterlandians are our blood brothers and sisters.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
In reply to this post by Gunny J
   A  European  ski father nazi  ( rude parent dragging unskilled children on terrain their not ready for) once at our ski area dragged his small son down a steeper hill than he was ready for by dragging him.  When they went to load the father, did not have a hand on him, and the father got on the lift and the small boy got puhed over the bank and in to a ditch filled with water. The lift stopped to late and father rode up alone. Little boy was taken in to the lift shack.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
The Hinterlands are just across Lake Hontario in Hanada.  

Hinterlandians are our blood brothers and sisters.
Thanks Harv,
With the current value of the Loonie compared to the saw buck we are the ones that are rapidly approaching third world status...

I have no idea how Kanuck's regulate the industry, for all I know a lift ticket could be part of the nationalized health plan (falls under mental health - aye).
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
This is sort of not a crazy action as much as a bad thing that happened: Over winter break at Belleayre, we were at the load line looking behind us at the approaching chair. I didn't see what caused it, but the next thing I know, the safety bar slams shut just as we are about to load. The kid on my left lept to the side and was fine, the kid on the right was my 9 year old son. We locked eyes with an oh shit look on our faces, I screamed at the lift attendant to stop the lift, and as I was trying to get us out of the way, it knocked us both down, and I watched as it dragged my son about 4 or 5 feet with his free knee and boot (we are boarders) trapped under the foot rest. It looked simply horrible, I was convinced we were hospital bound as were the lifties, we got him untangled and he said, "I'm fine". There was no pain, no injury, we took the chair up and rode the rest of the day. Lifts can be scary....
BSC
Reply | Threaded
|

BSC
This post was updated on .
In or around 99-00 at Kissing Bridge. It was a Friday night around 9pm. The guys on the Central Quad (chair in front of us). Were obviously extremely loaded.

They, while bouncing the chair as much as they could. Were chanting "What's the Matter with Flintstone, He's Alright!!!". Like this...

except holding their beer cans in the air as they chanted it over and over (in between swigs from said beers).

We actually followed them around for awhile since they were quite entertaining. Each time on the lift it was the same thing over and over. We wondered where they were getting the beer from.

We soon found out where.. They had some stashed trail side. In the snow. They would usually take the same trail and stop in the same spot each time..

By the time we figured this out there were only 2 left. We did the responsible thing and confiscated the 2 remaining beers!!!