Crevasse/Crevice fall video

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Crevasse/Crevice fall video

Skiray
This was posted today by a buddy of mine Doug Aaronson which I am sure some you know.. Amazing, all of us would have fallen and he was lucky to have the gear and help to get out.

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Crevasse/Crevice fall video

Z
Wow

Was he hurt?  I was wondering how he was going to ski out with one ski

If you ski in Europe always buy the optional off piste evac insurance other wise that would have been 5000 euro chopper ride.

When I skied with a guide in areas off piste where there were crevasses he had us all wear climbing harnesses over our other gear.  We skied in one spot single file over a snow bridge.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
That was scary!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
my car fell into a hole like that on the fdr last week, sucked.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
ml242 wrote
my car fell into a hole like that on the fdr last week, sucked.
What?  Did you take pictures? Just a sinkhole out of nowhere.   Man, I am glad you are OK and I will have to say that is NUTS. We passed on driving the FDR tonight due to flooding - what was the cross street this happened?

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
nypd chopper came to get the whole car out, then they washed it for me.

Seriously, I know that we could all use an extra 4k of vert on our local hills, but it's nice not having to worry about crevasses and avy's for the most part. Skiing the northeast is 100% fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Skiray
I watched this with the sound down at home last night. Still pretty scary. Must have be an incredible feeling when that rope came flying down.

Was surprised there wasn't some visible merriment when he came out of the hole.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Harvey wrote
Was surprised there wasn't some visible merriment when he came out of the hole.
We were thinking the same thing.. My buddy says, ahh they are French and the French have lived through everything.

We still want to see photos of ML242's car being helicoptered out of a sink hole on the FDR. We are sure one day that story will be one to look back at and laugh.

AlbaAdventures.com
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
That guys pulse rate was thru the roof

I'd guess his drawers might have need to been tossed out .  I fell in a tree well in Colorado once and this had to be way more intense.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
So scary! I have been skiing the back country out west here and I only have experience on very small glaciers in late spring summer conditions. Technical glacier travel scares the crap out of me.

All in all the crevasse this guy fell into wasn't too bad. I have read that they can narrow down into walls of blue ice that you can get wedged into and trapped. In that kind of scenario you probably couldn't move and get gear on or off. A lot of Euro alpinists are carrying ice climbing gear so it's possible this guy might have been able to get out of there on his own....maybe.

Cool vid Ray.

It's nice not to have to worry about this kind of stuff skiing American resorts and sidecountry but it would be really cool to be a skilled and safe alpinist like a lot of the Euro skiers are. Europe just seems so cool, being a good skier at a place like Cham is graduate level stuff. We Americans often think of Teton skiing to be the pinnacle but then there is AK and Europe! Next lifetime I guess.......