classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
40 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Crowds This Weekend

snoloco
This post was updated on .
I skied Hunter on Saturday.  it was very crowded with almost completely full parking lots and lines at every single lift.  I was not expecting that because it is after President's week.  Here's why I think this was the case.  

Hunter:  They had a big event going on all weekend which probably meant significantly more people on the hill.

The weather was also the best we've had in a while where it wasn't 10 below.  Did anyone else experience higher than usual crowds this weekend at other mountains?
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Crowds This Weekend

gebbyfish
At least it wasn't raining!  

Gore wasn't crowded at all, at least not today.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by snoloco
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
That looks horrible.  

Ski right on the lift or gondola all day long today.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
snoloco wrote

For both mountains, the weather was also the best we've had in a while where it wasn't 10 below.  Did anyone else experience higher than usual crowds this weekend at other mountains?

Well yeah,

The Crick was colder than a well-digger's ass during President's Week, though nowhere as cold (-40) that the Weather-Bastards forecasted, scared 2K+ people per day away.  Ouch$.  There was pent-up demand to be had @ 10-.  Burr.

This weekend showcased classic mid-winter conditions with above freezing temps and the U-14 State Championships. Trees in Play and played they were, crowds were mostly east facing, towards Vermont, 'cause that would be the aspect of the hill.

Sno, come on up.  We'll throw a shin-dig in your honor, complete with mini-trampoline over the bonfire.

What say ya?

This week t
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER

Well yeah,

The Crick was colder than a well-digger's ass during President's Week, though nowhere as cold (-40) that the Weather-Bastards forecasted, scared 2K+ people per day away.  Ouch$.  There was pent-up demand to be had @ 10-.  Burr.

This weekend showcased classic mid-winter conditions with above freezing temps and the U-14 State Championships. Trees in Play and played they were, crowds were mostly east facing, towards Vermont, 'cause that would be the aspect of the hill.

Sno, come on up.  We'll throw a shin-dig in your honor, complete with mini-trampoline over the bonfire.

What say ya?

snoloco wrote
I skied Hunter on Saturday and Mountain Creek on Sunday.  Both mountains were very crowded with almost completely full parking lots and lines at every single lift.  I was not expecting that because it is after President's week.  Here's why I think this was the case.  

Hunter:  They had a big event going on all weekend which probably meant significantly more people on the hill.

Mountain Creek:  Two weekends ago Mountain Creek had terrible weekend where both days were bad enough that everyone got free tickets to come back.  Some of those people went this weekend and it was also packed to the gills last weekend.  Also, Mountain Creek sells a good portion of lift access through Triple Play and Resolution Packs.  These deals are basically just prepaid days of direct to lift access.  Many of the people who buy them blow off using them and come March realize that they close at the end of the month and come to use up their days.

For both mountains, the weather was also the best we've had in a while where it wasn't 10 below.  Did anyone else experience higher than usual crowds this weekend at other mountains?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
True, these a-holes overhyped the cold temps.  We were scared out of our Stowe trip because of that.  I checked the mountain reports on the days we would have been there and there weren't mass windholds like what was hyped up.

It seems like the norm these days is to shy away from any cold weather at all.  I skied multiple nights in 0 degrees and no wind and it was actually perfectly comfortable.  I just had on an extra layer.  No wonder why the ski industry is loosing my generation to video games and indoor sports.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User

This was the worse the parking lot got where I skied today.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Whiteface was actually pretty crowded on Saturday.  It's Canadian vacation week I guess, there was a lot of French being spoken in the lines.

Of course crowded at WF is not so bad.  Typical Gondola wait was maybe 10 minutes, but the queue pen was filled at one point and we might have waited closer to 20?  Other lifts were ski on to a couple minutes.

The place was empty on Sunday.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JTG4eva! wrote
Whiteface was actually pretty crowded on Saturday.
I agree. I hate that part where you're riding the face lift and you look up to where Victoria comes in and you just see a mass of humanity coming towards you. Lots of people at Whiteface and lots of bad skiers on Saturday. There must have been a lot of injuries, saw at least 3 ambulances on my way back to Placid.

Sunday was great at Gore. The mountain does a better job of spreading people out, and it was pleasant at the Ski Bowl and on Burnt Ridge.

Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Didnt they have the NCAA  national finals there Saturday too ,which also adds to the crowd and perhaps meat wagon runs . the previous saturday was crowded for the Eastern regionals too. Felt like i was on Times square
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Down in PA,  every resort was maxxed out.   45 min waits.   More lessons went out than any other weekend this year.    Parking lot moved to fields, which turned to mud bogs.   Backhoes, tractors and managment were pushing cars out.    A mud trail existed on the road home for 5 miles...LOL.    

Cold weather in season, 10 inches of snow last week and sunshine & 40 degree temps made for the perfect storm.     Typical first week of March is for ski patrol, season pass holders trying to get remaining value and instructors.....not this year.  

I bet next week will be similar, not as bad but similar.      

Man do I wish I was at Gore.          
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Gore was extremely chill on Saturday.   When the Ski Bowl is open we stay away from the base.  But we had to make a run down there to get some mitten warmers for Zelda's cold hands. It was very sane.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
In reply to this post by I:)skiing
I:)skiing wrote

These reports make me not want to try anywhere but Gore when my daughter is home next week!  Yikes!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Down in PA,  every resort was maxxed out.   45 min waits.   More lessons went out than any other weekend this year.    Parking lot moved to fields, which turned to mud bogs.   Backhoes, tractors and managment were pushing cars out.    A mud trail existed on the road home for 5 miles...LOL.    

Cold weather in season, 10 inches of snow last week and sunshine & 40 degree temps made for the perfect storm.     Typical first week of March is for ski patrol, season pass holders trying to get remaining value and instructors.....not this year.  

Lines at the PA mountains which are MC's competition were 45 minutes?!  The longest lines at MC were about 20 minutes.  They weren't parking people on the fields either.  That's just ridiculous that the PA mountains did that.  They should have just stopped selling tickets once the parking lot overflowed.  I guess $$$ drives everything, I'm sure people wouldn't be having a good time at a mountain that was that crowded.  45 minutes for 7-800 foot vertical which is smaller than MC.  You Gore guys are so lucky.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Wait? What?

Gore was not fully open by 12/26 and has fixed grip lifts? How can we be considered lucky?  There is terrain without snowmaking for god sakes!

WE ARE THE DOWNTRODDEN!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
On 12/26/14, we had a 10 foot wide ribbon of snow to ski on.  We have high speed lifts, but they aren't cushy/heated and one doesn't even have seats (cabrio gondola).  Plus they run them at ridiculously slow speeds most of the time so not much better than a fixed grip.

On weekends like this, you Gore guys are lucky.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Just to clarify, there are no heated seats at Gore and I'm pretty sure I caught up on the hour of sleep I lost this past weekend on the North Quad and the Ski Bowl lift on Sunday!

That said, I know we are lucky!  
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola

this, that's why we headed to greek Saturday...

and I did a little local pa backcountry sunday

my wife taught back to back lessons for 7 hours straight at blue yesterday