Crystal Mountain, Feb 21, 24, 25 - 2016

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
48 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Crystal Mountain, Feb 21, 24, 25

Adk Jeff
Shit that one chute at the top of your post above looks great!
I skied Crystal once about 15 years ago, ran into a lot of the funky conditions you describe.  Beautiful scenery!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Good work! Some of that snow looks like the creamy goodness. I'll take cream over blower every day.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Spent the day guided in the Crystal BC today.  Highlight of my 30+ years of skiing.

Need to go eat food and drink booze.  Will flesh out the day later, but I'll leave you some pics for now.  Powder skiing 40+ degree chutes that led to lower angle powder bowls.

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx

I absolutely love the pic with Rainier..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Woohoo!  Looking forward to hearing the full story....
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Awesome shots JTG!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
I have only done it twice (maybe 10 days total) but I love skiing with a guide.  The few that I met were fascinating, genuine people.  Also excited to read as much as you can type.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!

Bluebird day for my last morning of skiing.  Warm temps made for nice spring turns this morning from the get go.  Headed back to Southback to bag the chute I passed up the other day.  

A little wind affected, but mission accomplished.  I've got lots of video to work on!  Boarding the flight home shortly, should give me some time to work on the trip report proper.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Watch “Crystal, WA BC” on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/156867499

Report coming, but here's something in the mean time.

Unedited, so forgive the equipment jiggering.  This was the last run of the day.  As it was getting late we didn't summit the ridge on this run, but dropped in lower in the chute for the untracked powder.  This was run number 7.  As Seth said, 3 runs is a successful day for many, 4 is average....so I was happy with 7!

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Crystal, WA BC from Chris Kidd on Vimeo.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I'm so stoked for you and your experience! Awesome man.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Prelude to skiing....

First off let me say that when the snow conditions are good Crystal is a great place to ski, and worthy of planning a trip.  On top of a ton of terrain, the facilities are first class and the lift system is very efficient.

Let me also sing the praises of my guide for the day, Seth Waterfall of Tahoma Ski Guides.  Tahoma is a two person outfit, Seth and his wife Solvig, and one of only two guide outfits with permission to operate in the Crystal area.  They started up last year and are looking to expand, both their staff and terrain.  Guiding in Rainier National Park is not an option but off the backside of the Crystal BC are extensive Forest Service lands where permits can be had.  Seth is one of the nicest guys you'll meet, extremely knowledgeable, and a good teacher to boot.

So, with a La Niña on tap for next winter, which usually hammers the Cascades, plan a trip and hook up with Seth!  One-to-one guiding runs $325 for the day, but if you aren't solo the group rate is $165pp.  Seth will look to fill out groups to get you the group rate if you want (and even guaranteed me the group rate even if he couldn't find any other customers), but I went solo to keep all options open.  With a group you could get mixed abilities and differing fitness levels, which could limit your day.  Not only did Seth and I tour and ski all day, we had a beer or three at the Snorting Elk at the end of the day.  Great guy.

So, my adventure almost didn't come off, as late last week the forecast wasn't looking favorable, with warm temperature that could lead to wet snow Avalanche conditions.  Seth is properly focused on safety first and the thought of potentially not being able to go out was disappointing, but understood.  As Wednesday approached the forecasts backed of the high temperatures and we were on for Wednesday.  

We met up at 8:30 at the base lodge.  As we booted up we looked over maps and discussed the plan for the day.  As I had a lodging package at the Alpine Inn (at the base) that included lift tickets, we'd use the lifts to access the Southback area and traverse/skin into the BC from there.  This saved about a hour of skinning first thing in the morning.  So the plan was to work our way along the ridge and summits leading away from the resort.  Skin up, ski down, lather, rinse, repeat!  We would keep most of our descents to sheltered and shaded areas, as it was a sunny day and those area in full sun were expected to, and did, get sticky.  Seth outfitted me with an emergency locator beacon in the event something happened to him, we made sure we had fresh batteries and our avy beacons, check and rearranged the packs a little, and headed to the lift.....

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
ding ding ding..we have a winner..
Trip report of the season...I'm have a shit day at work and that vid just mellowed me out!!!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Harvey
A couple of action shots Seth sent me....

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Looks like you hit the jackpot
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Looks like a great day JTG!
Question (apologies if you already addressed this):  Did you bring your own bc touring equipment (skins, shovel, probe, beacon) or did the guide supply?  I assume you toured with your own skis & boots?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I traveled with all my own gear.  Skis, boots, poles, skins, beacon, shovel, probe, pack.  The only thing Seth provided was the emergency locator beacon, so someone could save my rear in the event something happened to him.  I didn't get the impression he provides gear.  He provides an extensive equipment list of what you need and never offered to supply.