Crystal Mountain, Feb 21, 24, 25 - 2016

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
48 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Crystal Mountain, Feb 21, 24, 25

JTG4eva!
So, continuing the story.....the first stop on the way up the mountain was the transceiver training area at mid-mountain.  In a designated area the mountain has buried "targets".  You set the search pattern for easy, difficult, etc.  You then use your beacons and the probes to locate the "targets".  Pretty basic, sure.....but I've had the beacon/shovel/probe for a while and this was the first opportunity I've had to actually practice with the equipment.  We successfully located the target.  With our equipment working properly we discussed search strategy in the event something went wrong......and it was time to head further up the mountain.  Shortly after 9am and Seth and I were the first customers of the day on Chair 9, from which double diamond is the only way down......
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
I'm going to keep interrupting my own story as I get video uploaded......

So, I told myself on Sunday that I was going to go back and ski this later in the week.

Well, Thursday morning was the opportunity.  After a couple warm up runs on soft spring groomers, around 9:15 I was first customer of the day on Chair 6.  

The video below is evidence of why I'm an 8.  No expert launching of the cornice and stomping the landing, and no virtuosity to my run.  However, I went back and did it, after almost passing.  In my defense I was on jelly legs from the day before, skiing gated Avalanche prone terrain solo (not recommended), and taking on a high angle, high consequence chute without anyone there (not the best idea)....so I took it conservatively, knowing I'd regret it if I didn't drop in.  So I did.  This is 6 days after the last storm and wind affected, but very fun.

Watch “Crystal, WA. Narrow Chute Left” on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/156911855

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Crystal, WA. Narrow Chute Left from Chris Kidd on Vimeo.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I bet the grin is still on your face..nice job
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Harvey
Looks like a great trip.
Watch the "narrow chute" video, I can't fault you with taking that slow and cautious, snow was thick and wind packed, just the thing that will grab a ski and take out a knee.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
So, the actual guided skiing experience was great.  Add in my beginner status when it came to touring and the teaching aspect of having a guide was great.  Yes, I had the requisite AT gear, but I'd never actually used it.  Having never skinned before Seth gave me a few pointers, as well as had me practice a few kick turns.  The skinning went well.  From never ever to kick turning a skin track up slopes pushing 40 degrees.  At one point one of the skins came loose on the upslope and Seth came back to show me the tricks of the trade to get the snow off the ski side of the skins.  The nice thing about having a guide is that he broke trail all day.  There were quite a few existing tracks, many of which Seth and his wife laid down since the storms last week, but he broke several new tracks.  He worked to make sure the track was wide enough, and tried to make a good turning area for me on the kick turns.

The guided descents were great as well.  In the videos you can see him motioning as we get ready to head down.  Not only did he find us the untracked goods and keep us on the aspects with the least Avalanche risk, but he'd identify the best lines.  Not that things were dicey, but he always skied the slope first the be sure it wouldn't release.  He'd always take a side line, leaving the money line down the middle for me.  Even within a run he'd have advice and tidbits, letting me know that a rollover into a tree shot leads to a short 50 degree pitch.  He really catered to my experience and needs, which was very cool.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Sorry for the tardy video.  I was too cheap to upgrade my Vimeo, but it's March and I can upload again.

Watch “Gun Barrel, Crystal WA BC” on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/158246227

The thought that that has gotten better is why I need to get back!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Gun Barrel, Crystal WA BC from Chris Kidd on Vimeo.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp