DEC Trail designations for mountain biking...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

DEC Trail designations for mountain biking...

GoofyRider
General questions about mtb biking on DEC trails..

What are the rules? Wilderness vs State Forest vs some other designation i'm not aware of? Does it has to be specifically designated ‘biking’?

I read somewhere that multi-use trails allow biking.. What’s a multi use trail and how is that signed? Something that allows hiking and skiing but doesnt specifically say biking, does that mean i can bike on it?

I’m confused. Thanks for any help as I can’t find a clear comprehensive explanation.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: DEC Trail designations for mountain biking...

MC2 5678F589
I use the DEC's "Mountain Bike Trails" Google Earth layer available here:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/103457.html

Also, "Mountain Bikes are Permitted" is not the same as "Mountain Bikes are a good method of travel" for most of these routes. Some have been beautiful backwoods trails, some are forest roads with little character or scenery, and some turn into a Hike-A-Bike Slog. You never can really tell. The best mountain biking remains on purpose-built mountain bike trails by BETA or SMBA or Wilderness Property Management or whatever group works on local trails.

If you're looking for an adventure, though, some of DEC trails will definitely give you that. Just be safe and budget extra time when planning your trips.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
You also have to keep up on latest news a bit. Essex Chain trails aren't on that map yet, but are open for Mountain Biking:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/mapessexbike.pdf
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
no mtn biking in wilderness areas

You can mtn bike in the St Regis Canoe Area on the designated administrative road Only

No mtn biking in primitive areas except on designated administrative roads in the Essex Chain Primitive Area

You can mtn bike in Wild Forest areas except on trails posted -  No mtn biking allowed.  (If there is not a sign stating Mtn biking is prohibited in the wild forest area the rangers will not issue you a ticket)

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
ScottyJack wrote
You can mtn bike in the St Regis Canoe Area on the designated administrative road Only
The Fish Pond Truck trail? Yeah, that's a decent ride on double track to a cool spot (and a lot easier than a day of paddling and portaging to get there by canoe).

And the "Saranac Lakes Wild Forest", which borders the St. Regis Canoe area, has some decent rides. I ride a nice loop from Fish Creek Campground going through the Rollins Pond campground to the Otter Hollow trail to the Little Square Pond trail back to the campground entrance (all on the DEC Mountain Bike Trail Map):

http://skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com/2011/10/mountain-biking-otter-creek-floodwood.html?m=1
Reply | Threaded
|

GoofyRider
Awesome info guys, thanks.

A friend and I are looking to try some bikepacking and are trying to figure out some routes.  This is a start!
Reply | Threaded
|

GoofyRider
Is the Jackrabbit trail open to bicycles in the summer?

Was thinking some kind of weekend shuttle trek along the Jackrabbit would be pretty cool since you could mix in a bunch of singletrack too.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
small portions of jack rabbit are open to mtn bikes but not sections that go through wilderness areas.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by GoofyRider
Moose River Plains, Middle-Murphy-Bennett trail, Essex Chain, Vanderwhacker Mountain Snowmobile Trail, Floodwood Pond Road plus the places I mentioned above.

Just listing a few places with Bikepacking potential (free primitive campsites, etc.).